Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rottweiler Performance Air Intake for 690. Any experience?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Rooi Wolf

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Op die Hantam hoogtes..
Rottweiler Performance Air Intake for 690. Any experience?
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:16:35 am »
I am considering getting my hands on this.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear/rottweiler-performance-air-intake-ktm-690-review

Anyone that has installed it yet?

Worth the cost?

Online BuRP

Re: Rottweiler Performance Air Intake for 690. Any experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »
No experience, had a look at this too (for my 701).
It's basically a foam filter (their own brand, dunno about this...), and you - obviously - have to remove the std airbox-contraption.
If you install this filter-assy you will have quite a bit of 'open' space underseat, and I think they have a bag which will fit in this space.

Mind, for very little more money you can get the Rade auxillary tank (5.5L) which comes with a very similar foam-filter intake!
This will up the torque & power, the filter is a TwinAir (you'll get 2 with the kit), and I bought the latter (in transit now).

No fueling-mods are needed (ditto with the Rottie so btw!) but better is to compensate for the std 'lean' setup.
Obviously Rottie wants to sell you a PC-V but you may want to get a BoosterModule, cheap & simple.
I have this already installed (a full 3 minutes) and it's my 2nd unit/bike, they work well enough to make me smile.
This module 'fools' the ECU in thinking it is a bit colder than it is, hence it makes the mixture a bit richer.
It does this only during 'open loop' (acceleration) which is when you want it, during closed loop (coasting) the std map is adhered to (i.e it ;listens' to the lambda sensor in the header) therefore one still has the low consumption.

Oh, all this is available in SA (don't know about Rottie), at decent prices too when compared to importing yourself.
Up to you what you'll get  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701

Offline Katoomski

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:46:07 pm »
Waste of money- just get the EVO1 airbox cover and corresponding map.(with or without pipes- better with akros or wings etc.)

https://ktmtwins.com/products/ktm-76506102000
I don't know much about bikes, but a pipe and head job sounds incredible!

Offline Rooi Wolf

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:50:15 pm »
Waste of money- just get the EVO1 airbox cover and corresponding map.(with or without pipes- better with akros or wings etc.)

Tried it already. Still does not solve the inherrent issue of potential dust intake into airbox. It does not sit nor seal propperly.

I do like the idea a lot of freed up space below the seat that comes with Rottweiler system.

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:01:41 am »
+1 on the Rade kit. Installed it over the weekend on my 701. Will load the performace Akrapovic fuel map during first service and report on performance increase if any.

Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline w@nted

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 09:09:17 am »
No experience, had a look at this too (for my 701).
It's basically a foam filter (their own brand, dunno about this...), and you - obviously - have to remove the std airbox-contraption.
If you install this filter-assy you will have quite a bit of 'open' space underseat, and I think they have a bag which will fit in this space.

Mind, for very little more money you can get the Rade auxillary tank (5.5L) which comes with a very similar foam-filter intake!
This will up the torque & power, the filter is a TwinAir (you'll get 2 with the kit), and I bought the latter (in transit now).

No fueling-mods are needed (ditto with the Rottie so btw!) but better is to compensate for the std 'lean' setup.
Obviously Rottie wants to sell you a PC-V but you may want to get a BoosterModule, cheap & simple.
I have this already installed (a full 3 minutes) and it's my 2nd unit/bike, they work well enough to make me smile.
This module 'fools' the ECU in thinking it is a bit colder than it is, hence it makes the mixture a bit richer.
It does this only during 'open loop' (acceleration) which is when you want it, during closed loop (coasting) the std map is adhered to (i.e it ;listens' to the lambda sensor in the header) therefore one still has the low consumption.

Oh, all this is available in SA (don't know about Rottie), at decent prices too when compared to importing yourself.
Up to you what you'll get  :thumleft:

Can you give some feedback on the boosterplug on the 701? Especially when you have installed the Twin air filter
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Rooi Wolf

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:26:31 am »

I have a Safari tank fitted already. So don't need the tank, but the RADE setup does look very nice.

Where would I source the filter system without the tank?

Offline w@nted

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 11:31:02 am »

I have a Safari tank fitted already. So don't need the tank, but the RADE setup does look very nice.

Where would I source the filter system without the tank?

Contact Chris from flying brick. I am sure you should be able to buy the small airbox and filter separately from the tank. He orders it from Rade Garage overseas.

Online BuRP

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:55 pm »
Contact Chris from flying brick.

+1, he may just be able to turn Rade's arm  ;)

Can you give some feedback on the boosterplug on the 701? Especially when you have installed the Twin air filter

I will, but what it does I've already said.
Look, this is not a PC-V or a remap, it is a simple 'trick', and quick to install (or remove) also.
I like simplicity because this also means reliability, and the one on my F800GS-Adv never has given me problems.
It takes the 'hesitation & stumbling', especially low down, away for most of it, and it works exactly when you want it: when you open the throttle.
During coasting (like on a highway) it reverts  to closed loop which means the ECU measures from the O2 sensor and injects according to its standard (lean-ish) map which means you'll largely keep your low consumption figures during A2B stuff.
During startup & idle this Booster Module also works, it's said to make it a little easier.

Rade says their filter, without any mods fuelwise, makes 3 to 4 horses more, plus of course a little more torque.
That points to a free-er breathing filter or to a previously-restricted one, and if one looks at the std airbox then I bet it'll be a lil of both.
But, some reading on the net learned me the std paper filter seems to let some fine dust past - a big nono in my books, and for an OEM unit this is quite bad actually.
Dunno about this for sure though, haven't opened mine yet - but I do know that TwinAir, the actual inventors of the oiled open cell foam filter, are good filters, even when buried in mud (I've serviced some motoX bikes, amazing to see this actually).
So, a better filter plus more fuel onboard, add a fuel tap so one cannot be caught out (no fuel-gauge remember), and all this without adding to the bulkyness of this slim offroad bike is a no-brainer for me.

However, those who want the last ounce of performance, say SM racers, will install the Rottweiler filter (bigger surface hence likely to flow even more air), an open pipe plus a PC-V, and next dyno the thing.

Will load the performace Akrapovic fuel map during first service and report on performance increase if any.

Mind W@nted, pls tell me how that works?
Plug in a laptop or something like that, diy I mean, or does one has to go to a dyno-room?
Curious, let us know please!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:46:35 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Cross, Jawa 250, Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701

Online BuRP

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 07:02:03 pm »
There you go, the BP installed.
Top-right is the TempSensor, just left to it the Booster Plug, and wedged under the seat-release mechanism the silver tube with the NTC-resistor (= temp sensor). Obviously the BP contains some electronics to make it all work.
I've installed the temp.sensor at the back because anywhere at the front the engine/exhaust/radiator will heat the air up, obviously not what one wants - and, even here (in fact all around/under the seat) the engine's intake will flow air past it, so also after a while in the sun this place I think is a good one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:03:01 pm by BuRP »

Offline w@nted

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:47:42 am »
Contact Chris from flying brick.

+1, he may just be able to turn Rade's arm  ;)

I will, but what it does I've already said.
Look, this is not a PC-V or a remap, it is a simple 'trick', and quick to install (or remove) also.
I like simplicity because this also means reliability, and the one on my F800GS-Adv never has given me problems.
It takes the 'hesitation & stumbling', especially low down, away for most of it, and it works exactly when you want it: when you open the throttle.
During coasting (like on a highway) it reverts  to closed loop which means the ECU measures from the O2 sensor and injects according to its standard (lean-ish) map which means you'll largely keep your low consumption figures during A2B stuff.
During startup & idle this Booster Module also works, it's said to make it a little easier.

Rade says their filter, without any mods fuelwise, makes 3 to 4 horses more, plus of course a little more torque.
That points to a free-er breathing filter or to a previously-restricted one, and if one looks at the std airbox then I bet it'll be a lil of both.
But, some reading on the net learned me the std paper filter seems to let some fine dust past - a big nono in my books, and for an OEM unit this is quite bad actually.
Dunno about this for sure though, haven't opened mine yet - but I do know that TwinAir, the actual inventors of the oiled open cell foam filter, are good filters, even when buried in mud (I've serviced some motoX bikes, amazing to see this actually).
So, a better filter plus more fuel onboard, add a fuel tap so one cannot be caught out (no fuel-gauge remember), and all this without adding to the bulkyness of this slim offroad bike is a no-brainer for me.

However, those who want the last ounce of performance, say SM racers, will install the Rottweiler filter (bigger surface hence likely to flow even more air), an open pipe plus a PC-V, and next dyno the thing.

Will load the performace Akrapovic fuel map during first service and report on performance increase if any.

Mind W@nted, pls tell me how that works?
Plug in a laptop or something like that, diy I mean, or does one has to go to a dyno-room?
Curious, let us know please!

Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know about the map. As far as I know, the dealership plugs the bike ecu to a laptop and then it is a simple download. Cannot be done self.

Online BuRP

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:50:56 am »
Just did a 3-day trip from Pta to Tzaneen via The Downs/Lekgalameetse, then to Sabie via some game farm roads, then home via secondary roads.
The bike has loads of power everywhere (but for real lowdown grunt, an XRR has more), the Rade filter is indeed quite loud during WOT, surprisingly this bike manages to deflect most wind via its numberplate (no screen needed), it leans lekker far in corners on the std tyres, and it wants to wheely everywhere - awesome!

Thanks to Rooi & mate who stopped to help us with a puncture (not mine) at the lower Lekgalameetse gate, much appreciated!

Offline w@nted

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »
Just did a 3-day trip from Pta to Tzaneen via The Downs/Lekgalameetse, then to Sabie via some game farm roads, then home via secondary roads.
The bike has loads of power everywhere (but for real lowdown grunt, an XRR has more), the Rade filter is indeed quite loud during WOT, surprisingly this bike manages to deflect most wind via its numberplate (no screen needed), it leans lekker far in corners on the std tyres, and it wants to wheely everywhere - awesome!

Thanks to Rooi & mate who stopped to help us with a puncture (not mine) at the lower Lekgalameetse gate, much appreciated!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the 701! :thumleft:

Offline RiverRunner

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 07:23:14 am »

Tried it already. Still does not solve the inherrent issue of potential dust intake into airbox. It does not sit nor seal propperly.

I do like the idea a lot of freed up space below the seat that comes with Rottweiler system.

I don't know what is wrong with your install, but I have this intake on two 690's in my family and they work great.  The beauty of this system is how easy it is to use filter skins.  We'll take week long desert trips with deep flour dust.  We change the filter skins each day, I'll even use two skins if in really bad dust.  At camp, pop the seat, pull the skin off the foam filter and pull another preoiled skin out and replace.  You can carry a week's worth of skins in a small plastic bag.  You will get home and wash the foam with mineral spirits and very little particulate comes out - the skins caught it all.

If your install is leaking dust, I really don't think it is the intake.  After I installed them, I checked the intake tube for dust with every filter change - never found any dust.  Keep working with it, this thing works very well.

Offline Omninorm

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:11 pm »
There you go, the BP installed.
Top-right is the TempSensor, just left to it the Booster Plug, and wedged under the seat-release mechanism the silver tube with the NTC-resistor (= temp sensor). Obviously the BP contains some electronics to make it all work.
I've installed the temp.sensor at the back because anywhere at the front the engine/exhaust/radiator will heat the air up, obviously not what one wants - and, even here (in fact all around/under the seat) the engine's intake will flow air past it, so also after a while in the sun this place I think is a good one.

Has this bike ever seen dust!? Way too clean. Get out there  :thumleft:
Current: KTM 690 Enduro R : BMW G310GS :
Previous: BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Yamaha YZ250F, KTM 250 XCW, Yamah DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250

Offline miks

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »
You can get a 690 that clean... but you sacrifice your fingers an lots of time   :laughing4: