Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wupperthal and Citadel 4wd trails....  (Read 2505 times)

Offline KTMvan

Re: Wupperthal and Citadel 4wd trails....
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 02:06:16 pm »
Dis k@k as jou pad skielik in 'n adventure verander, maar jy is gelukkig op 'n baie capeable masjien. Het myself amper hospitaal toe geval in Transkei toe ek bokspore begin vat het na ek verdwaal het. Verskil is in '94 was daar nie gpx of T4A nie maar die prinsiep bly die selfde.
2004 KTM 640 adventure - alive and well

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
I was quite happy, the idea was to take things easy and get some quiet, so I decided to leave decisions for the morning and pitch camp. Found a nice sandy spot and settled in...... OK, I lie, I was so tired that there were no options, did find a nice spot though

Offline hje

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Tried to be normal once, worst 2 min of my life
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 02:13:45 pm »
Mooi fotos! Die gevoel wat mens kry as jy in daai area ry met bakkie of bike is maar net anders.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :thumleft:
Live each day as if it's your last................just ride.....

Ride the wind...... Race the rain...... Chase the sunset

KTM 950 ADV, TRUIMPH TIGER 885, DR 750, KLR 600, KLE 500, BMW K100,

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 02:22:52 pm »
Friday morning dawned with no clouds in sight. Had coffee and breakfast and then started thinking about options. I either had to find another way down that mountain, turn around and go back or attempt that 200m downhill. I hate going back so I spent a lot of time walking/riding around to find another way but there was nothing, so I eventually decided to go back. Packed up and headed the way I came. about 1km up the track I got stuck on a loose rocky climb and realised that going back was NOT an option, so turned around again. At the top of the descent I unpacked all my kit and started walking the bike down. Yes, walking..... next to the bike.... I know this sucks but that was the best I could do... Sorry, I do not have any pictures of this part, I do have a video though, but that is too embarrassing to show in public. My wife cried while watching it....

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 02:24:19 pm »
Mooi fotos! Die gevoel wat mens kry as jy in daai area ry met bakkie of bike is maar net anders.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :thumleft:

SO waar

Offline LegoBrew

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • One Life. Live It. Pray the Bank Manager agrees...
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 02:28:33 pm »
WOW, lyk lekker!

Dankie vir die deel.  :thumleft:

PS: Ek sou nie eers daar af wou loop nie, wat te se van 'n motorfiets onder my blad....  :peepwall:
“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” – Humphrey Bogart

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 03:04:44 pm »
I dropped the bike once while walking it down.... broken flicker..... but was SO happy to get to the bottom. That little walk took it's toll. I felt like I have run a marathon. Went back to fetch the kit, packed up and had a long break. OK, now for the second half. The first bit was down a sandy dry riverbed and I had a lot of fun. Then started the rocky climbs again

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:59 pm »
At some point I hit a rock step just all wrong and the front went skywards. Could not recover and came down hard on the left. Clutch lever broken but enough left for 2 fingers. All seems OK, or so I thought.... Tackled the last few km to Wupperthal, wondering if I should still attempt the much longer Wupperthal trail....

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 04:11:52 pm »
Just before Wupperthal I realised that there was more damage. The clutch lever started fading towards the handle bar and the starter motor started to sound sluggish. In Wupperthal I first had a coke and then started looking for the causes. The charging issue was easily fixed. Somehow the wires from the magneto came into contact with the exhaust melting away the insulation of one of the 3 phases. The ensuing short melted the wire hence the lack of charging. Fixed that and checked the clutch fluid level, not low. Well at this point the decision was made for me. Wupperthal 4wd trail stays on the bucket list for now. I had a chat with the lady at the shop and she ensures me both those trails are still in use, confirming my suspicions that my tracks are outdated. I now have their info number, so will call them before I go again. I took the Eselbanke route back which now looked like a highway, stopping at Oasis for a sandwitch and returning home via Middelberg pass. I thoroughly enjoyed myself on this one, but when someone asked me on Saturday if I would do that trip again the answer was NO. Well by today, if asked again, I would say maybe, but not again solo.....

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 11:07:19 am »
did you also ride the Heuningvlei road?
On T4A the Heiningvlei road is marked as permit required. Is that still so?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 12:08:46 pm »
Nice report. Nice looking track that as well. I reckon your experience would have been much better have you had decent off-road tyres on - something much more knobbly. Better luck next time. Please if you can would you upload your route/track.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:26 pm »
Nice report. Nice looking track that as well. I reckon your experience would have been much better have you had decent off-road tyres on - something much more knobbly. Better luck next time. Please if you can would you upload your route/track.
These are the gpx files I downloaded from T4A. I followed it exactly apart from not doing the Wupperthal 4wd loop. Jip, I intend fitting E09s soon

Offline ruger1

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »
Thanks for the nice ride report, enjoyed reading it, maybe one day I will get to do this route.
That downhill looked nasty! Well done on getting down there and completing the route :thumleft:

Offline DirtyHarry

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:22 am »
Thanks KTMvan.
I love well executed rides slightly outside the comfort zone  ;)

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 10:20:31 am »
Awesome.

I've ridden the Citadel but on a WR250F, so I would say well done. I also did not get to the bottom of that hill on my bike, I mean we both got down but not together  :biggrin:.

You will find though that the Wupperthal trail has an even worse downhill. Just Google for images for Wupperthal, Johhnie se Poort. Been down there years ago in a 4x4 and wouldn't even do that again.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline KTMvan

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 05:50:23 pm »
Awesome.

I've ridden the Citadel but on a WR250F, so I would say well done. I also did not get to the bottom of that hill on my bike, I mean we both got down but not together  .

You will find though that the Wupperthal trail has an even worse downhill. Just Google for images for Wupperthal, Johhnie se Poort. Been down there years ago in a 4x4 and wouldn't even do that again.
From which side did you do the Wupperthal section?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2018, 09:03:30 am »
We drove it in a clockwise direction starting east of Wupperthal.

Johnie se Poort is about 5km from the end of the trail, if you have a look at T4A, it is quite clearly marked.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 09:26:38 am »
 :sip: Really enjoyed that, I think my skill level faded somewhere before that downhill section. (my Triumph 800 just far to heavy) But you can post the video, we don't mind crying along.  :spitcoffee:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:40 pm »
The last pic brought me to a steep rocky descent which I knew was outside of my skill level. I walked down and this is what it looks from the bottom. This is also where the guys with the plastics coming the other way turned around

It looks worse than it really is....I have been over the route a couple of times - I take my kids there for  an "adventure ride" seeing that they are to young for license ( 12 and 14)

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=150609.0
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:21:00 pm by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:32 pm »
Thank you for the RR - read a couple of yours and it always make me "lus" for a ride - as a matter of fact, I might go there this weekend after reading this.  ::)
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids