Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 48897 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #600 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:58 am »
 I will be forcing her to drive the car so she can get use to driving here. Then she will feel more comfortable to drive on her own

In general how do people drive in ZN?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #601 on: April 02, 2019, 12:57:44 pm »
I will be forcing her to drive the car so she can get use to driving here. Then she will feel more comfortable to drive on her own

The same way as here....get in the car...turn on the ignition....... :imaposer:

Probably a WHOLE lot better than here. Here you put your life in danger when you cross the road at a pedestrian crossing - the cars actually increase speed and "gun" for you  :3some:
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #602 on: April 03, 2019, 12:01:31 am »

Cautiously, which in itself is sometimes a problem. Its a lot slower and relaxed then SA and people are generally friendly, give space and do not get road rage if you take to long.  Employers also understand traffic sometimes exist and is lenient in leaving early or arriving late if there are problems on the roads.

The rules of the road are catered for cyclist and pedestrians. (see photo below of a general pedestrian crossing). This becomes a stop street if a pedestrian crosses, and some don't even look before they cross and will just walk. I have seen some close calls but in general, cars will stop.

One thing that I am still trying to get used to are circles, or roundabouts as they are known here. There is no gap, or who enters the roundabout first, you yield to the right and wait till ALL the cars have gone. Then they also indicate twice ... :patch: One to enter the roundabout and again to where they want to exit, so cars that go straight and we not use to indicate will enter the roundabout and indicate left but not exit left but carry on straight, or if they want to turn right (3rd exit) they will indicate right as they enter and then indicate left just before they exit at the 3rd exit.

Something to get use it and does cause confusion from time to time as its a 50/50 chance if someone is going to indicate or not....

Then the other problem is space.... Here street parking is very much acceptable and often suburban streets will become 1 car wide as cars are parked on both sides of the roads. Some area's it becomes very tight so caution and knowing the area is crucial.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 12:03:40 am by silvrav »

Offline corne.l

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Say what?
« Reply #603 on: April 03, 2019, 06:49:50 am »

Cautiously, which in itself is sometimes a problem. Its a lot slower and relaxed then SA and people are generally friendly, give space and do not get road rage if you take to long.  Employers also understand traffic sometimes exist and is lenient in leaving early or arriving late if there are problems on the roads.

The rules of the road are catered for cyclist and pedestrians. (see photo below of a general pedestrian crossing). This becomes a stop street if a pedestrian crosses, and some don't even look before they cross and will just walk. I have seen some close calls but in general, cars will stop.

One thing that I am still trying to get used to are circles, or roundabouts as they are known here. There is no gap, or who enters the roundabout first, you yield to the right and wait till ALL the cars have gone. Then they also indicate twice ... :patch: One to enter the roundabout and again to where they want to exit, so cars that go straight and we not use to indicate will enter the roundabout and indicate left but not exit left but carry on straight, or if they want to turn right (3rd exit) they will indicate right as they enter and then indicate left just before they exit at the 3rd exit.

Something to get use it and does cause confusion from time to time as its a 50/50 chance if someone is going to indicate or not....

Then the other problem is space.... Here street parking is very much acceptable and often suburban streets will become 1 car wide as cars are parked on both sides of the roads. Some area's it becomes very tight so caution and knowing the area is crucial.

At last someone that understands how to use a traffic circle   ;)
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010)
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #604 on: April 03, 2019, 06:55:49 am »
Traffic circles or roundabouts are supposed to deal with traffic on an equal basis.
There is a tendency here to just roar on into a circle because the guy in front of you is already in it.
So cars that arrive at a circle enter ahead of other cars that have been waiting for ages.
In busy times at one circle I ride through, I have sat waiting for ten or more cars that arrived after I did
just because some sons of bitches value their time as worth more than mine.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Ganjora

« Reply #605 on: April 03, 2019, 07:40:15 am »
there are actually 2 types of traffic circles in SA,  and they have separate rules.
the big,  full on roundabout - give way to vehicles from the right.
the little,  pimple sized,  raised, round bits of tar - 1st come,  1st serve.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #606 on: April 03, 2019, 08:05:20 am »
there are actually 2 types of traffic circles in SA,  and they have separate rules.
the big,  full on roundabout - give way to vehicles from the right.
the little,  pimple sized,  raised, round bits of tar - 1st come,  1st serve.

Yip
The latter I see as a fourway stop without the need to stop.

And then they screw it up with something like this.

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #607 on: April 03, 2019, 08:21:20 am »

At last someone that understands how to use a traffic circle   ;)

Thats exactly how they are supposed to work here anyway.

Try this one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)
Where are my shorts??

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #608 on: April 03, 2019, 08:14:08 pm »
Yeah mate, I'll swing by later to collect my jandals and for some piss and we can have a wee yarn about the weeks hard yakka  :o
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline silvrav

« Reply #609 on: April 03, 2019, 08:56:49 pm »
haha yes all you clever okes  :ricky: :peepwall: Problem is there are so many immigrants here with each using the circle in a different way  :imaposer:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #610 on: April 03, 2019, 09:01:45 pm »
Yeah mate, I'll swing by later to collect my jandals and for some piss and we can have a wee yarn about the weeks hard yakka  :o

Sweet as bro! We can catch a piss in the wop wops but I was on the turps last night and feel like I might carked it!   :peepwall:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:03:04 pm by silvrav »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2019, 02:38:34 am »
Problem is there are so many immigrants here with each using the circle in a different way

Years ago (in the US) I was driving late at night behind a car driving very slowly and erratically. I gave it lots of room ahead of me. It entered a circle. I decided to wait it out. (No traffic at all, thanks goodness). I just stopped and watched. They circled twice. Very slowly. Then they stopped. Then about 5 or 6 people spilled out of the car, looked like a family of several generations, old, young, and in between. They had a discussion while standing around the car. Everyone changed seats. Then they circled some more. Came to a stop. Reversed because, presumably, they had "missed" their exit. They exited. Finally.

Still the most amusing thing I have ever seen on the road.

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #612 on: April 04, 2019, 05:32:16 am »
Sweet as ,see ya lata

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #613 on: April 04, 2019, 05:36:03 am »
They must speak foreign, Mrs Z !

In ZA, there would have been a total traffic snarl-up with much hooting, swearing and rude hand gestures...

...even if there were only two cars!
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #614 on: April 04, 2019, 07:09:44 am »

In ZA, there would have been a total traffic snarl-up with much hooting, swearing and rude hand gestures...

... even if there was only ONE car  :imaposer:

Fixed
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:12:12 am by TeeJay »
Eat life!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #615 on: April 04, 2019, 08:22:35 am »

In Jozi, they would have just driven over the circle directly towards the exit they intend on taking
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #616 on: April 04, 2019, 09:00:48 am »
Silvrav thanks for this thread. I am considering moving to New Zealand also, my sister is already there, so Im busy going through the thread. I have an Irish passport so do you know if it is any easier to get residency there with this passport?

My main concerns are:
- my daughters who are now both older than 18
- our dogs
- my bike will be going with
- and obviously a job there.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #617 on: April 04, 2019, 09:50:35 am »
Silvrav thanks for this thread. I am considering moving to New Zealand also, my sister is already there, so Im busy going through the thread. I have an Irish passport so do you know if it is any easier to get residency there with this passport?

My main concerns are:
- our dogs

One of our mates went a few years ago and took his bike with too
Isnt the company that you work for an international company?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:50:58 am by Mikie »
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #618 on: April 04, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »

Are you allowed to pick-up wood from the beach? If you are, why not use that just for a fire, not to braai on?
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline ROMMEL HOND

« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2019, 12:54:44 am »

My main concerns are:
- our dogs
If I may....My son was 19 at the time and is now studying full time in NZ.
                           Our two Labs have got more flying hours than the average SA bloke and are enjoying the dog parks.
                           My GSA and a MT5 was shipped with my furniture in the same container,no problem at all.
                           Jobs...sometimes very easy sometimes not, depending on your trade attitude and willingness to start at the bottom and work yourself up.
                           I've got an Irish friend and he went through the same process and s%&t as we did.