Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 57093 times)

Offline Would I?

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #680 on: August 18, 2019, 12:01:33 pm »
Just found this tread as been off the forum for quite a few months.

sorry for the hijack!!!!!!

Immigrated to New Zealand Last year.  (May 2018)
Got a job eventually in July 2018 in Hamilton as a project manager for a tiling company

Wife and kids are in Tauranga so I only get to see them on weekends.

Love this country and living the dream!!!!!!!!!
We submitted our residency application November  2018 just before I turned 56.
Money taken off the day before my birthday!!!
We only got a case officer in APRIL …...……….then RESIDENCY APPOVED 3rd August. 2 years now and we can apply for Permeant Residency.

Hi! How did you emigrate without a job offer? Did your wife find a job first? Congratulations on the residency visas!

Yes wife got a job offer so I had an open visa to go looking for a job. I had more points so we did residency application with me as applicant.
You either make dust or you eat dust.
KLR 650
KTM 950 Adventure S

Online silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #681 on: August 26, 2019, 04:13:36 am »
Time flies when you having fun!

Sorry guys, been a hectic last few weeks...sorry months! Can't believe its end of August already... I have 2 months left to being here a year!

Since my last update I have changed jobs and now work for a company called foodstuffs – they run own and run the new worlds, Pak N saves of new Zealand. These are supermarkets of new Zealand and they have over 300 sites. New World is your everyday supermarket like a Pick and Pay or shoprite where Pak N save is a bulk store like Makro.

With the work comes a company car and some nice other little perks – for one I do site visits around the lower part of the north island. With my wife not working and little one only going to kindy, it makes road trips possible and this coming weekend we heading to Tauranga national park to go see snow (hoping there is some).

Since my last update we also finally managed to get residency and can now stay with out the fear of a work visa expiring! It has been a long and tough road but it was so worth it! It was a stressful last 2 or so months a my original work visa was tied to my employer, so I had to apply for a new visa. The original indicated time from was 5 working days with it being changed to 70 working days. My then employer was going on leave on the day of my last working day and was not keen to extend my resignation.

This could have meant I could sit without work for 30days and be in the country illegally. Lots of sleepless nights and phone calls, but eventually 5 days before my last day INZ pulled through and send me my new visa, followed a week later by our residency visas… If I new it would take that quick I would’ve waited as the new visa was $700! Dough!

But rather safe then sorry as some peoples residencies have taken over 14months, guess we were just lucky!

The last weekend we visited the Weta caves, where the props for LOTR, district 9, avatar, to name a few was made. The shop and little museum houses original props from all the movies with replicas available for purchase. Its not been pay day yet but definitely going back afterwards to get some items.

We then did a beach walk and spotted the snow capped mountains of the south islands! We have been having some chilly days with lots of rain and wind – but still happy here and now properly settled that our residency came through 😊 5 years from now we will get those little black books

20190825-102131" border="0
20190825-102246" border="0
20190825-102532" border="0
20190825-102558" border="0
20190825-102755" border="0
20190825-103517" border="0
20190825-104538" border="0
20190825-104557" border="0
20190825-104652" border="0
20190825-104655" border="0
20190825-104712" border="0
20190825-104728" border="0

South island snow capped mountains from the north island
20190825-120411" border="0
20190825-120415" border="0

We still making good food here in NZ :)
IMG-20190608-175117" border="0
IMG-20190608-182926" border="0
IMG-20190707-085412" border="0

An entire tree for our residency application
IMG-20190707-105740" border="0
IMG-20190707-105751" border="0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:18:34 am by silvrav »

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #682 on: August 26, 2019, 04:27:20 am »
Welcome back  ;D
Good news about your New job and PR.
I remember the stack of papers when I did my PR. Nothing quite like the relief of that piece of paper.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Online immigrant

« Reply #683 on: August 26, 2019, 05:01:10 am »
 Congratulations on your PR. It is a big step forward, and a lot less stress!
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #684 on: August 26, 2019, 05:49:47 am »
Welcome back - and congrats on all fronts - new job and residency. Please keep us updated - thanks  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Splash

« Reply #685 on: August 26, 2019, 07:01:15 am »
Congratulations on getting your PR. Sure it is a big relief. Good luck with the new job.
Gone traveling.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #686 on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:23 am »
Congrats on both the new job and your res!
I hope things just keep on going better for you guys there!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Christian Kuun

• Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #687 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:11 am »
What do you mean you had a few chili days? Them white caps are right here by us!
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Online silvrav

« Reply #688 on: August 26, 2019, 10:10:46 pm »
What do you mean you had a few chili days? Them white caps are right here by us!

Your choice! :imaposer: How is the south island? See there were a few nasty shakes the last 2 weeks ?

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #689 on: August 29, 2019, 04:03:58 am »
When NZ gets a bit slow, mother nature shakes things up a bit. Nothing serious. I drove through your neck of the woods yesterday again- spending 2 weeks in Hawkes bay and then drive back down to Blenheim.

Great start to my day yesterday- the missus and kids visas were approved. they will be here end of Sep. It has been the hardest 6 months of my life, being without them.

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #690 on: August 29, 2019, 04:37:23 am »
When NZ gets a bit slow, mother nature shakes things up a bit. Nothing serious. I drove through your neck of the woods yesterday again- spending 2 weeks in Hawkes bay and then drive back down to Blenheim.

Great start to my day yesterday- the missus and kids visas were approved. they will be here end of Sep. It has been the hardest 6 months of my life, being without them.
That's great news Christian...when are you coming down to Rolleston again?

Online silvrav

« Reply #691 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:34 am »

Aaa that's excellent buddy!! Awesome news! They flying into welly I assume?

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #692 on: August 29, 2019, 09:17:14 am »
Thats brilliant news Christian. Congratulations. I bet September is now going to be seemingly a long slow month for you.

If it makes you feel any better we have been struggling for four months and have made no progress. I wanted to purchase a business there and even that will not help us. I or my wife needs a job in order to get our work visa's and then the "unemployed" one will get their visa and can then purchase the business.

How did you find a job there? It seems all the applications I have made, the standard response is "thank you for your application and while we think your experience is suited for the position, we unfortunately can only look at applicants already in NZ"

My first choice is New Zealand, but I have started looking at something in the States after an opportunity was offered to me. You wont believe that it is actually easier to get into the USA than it is into New Zealand, even though I have family already in NZ.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #693 on: August 29, 2019, 08:56:06 pm »
Thanks guys, it is great news indeed.

@Rommel, My mate Rob is nagging me to come and play golf in their Hackers comp on the 22nd but if the family arrives the next week, I might pass on the golf. Will keep you posted.

@silvrav They will be flying into Christchurch, bud. That ferry trip for the family will cost more than an international flight. Its $200 one-way for just the car and me and then returning will probably be another $440 or so and it is no quicker than the drive to CHC. 3h45m on the ferry and another half an hour from Picton. I reckon I will spend the weekend in CHC, with my mate, too.

@Brucet Its not easy. The locals are pretty uninformed and don't realize that you can have a visa quicker than a locals notice period. I was lucky in that I contacted the right guy at the right time but it still wasn't as easy as that. I had a 3 month fixed contract (family cant come if less that 6 or 9 or whatever it is, months. I then got a 3 month job with a friends friend and then the original boys wanted me back full time. Hence the 6 months wait for the family. What industry are you in or what type of business do you want to buy?

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #694 on: September 01, 2019, 07:12:09 am »
@Christian Kuun Congratulations on the visas for the family! All of the best for the last month of waiting for them. I can just imagine how difficult it is without them!

@silvrav Congratulations on the permanent residency!

I have been following this thread from the start, so thanks for all the information. My wife is finally on board with the emigration process. Collecting the kids passports this week and have received our unabridged birth certificates. Now the job hunting is in full swing. I am applying on seek, so please shout if any NZ dogs see opportunities for a process engineer   :deal:.

We had an appointment with an agent from an agency, but honestly, I cannot say he told us anything we have not read ourselves. At this stage I am going to try the process myself, and will deal directly with imm NZ if there are queries/uncertainties.

Anyway, our emotions as a family are still mixed. Fear, excitement, etc. It feels like a big mountain to climb, hopefully we will reach the top.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:12:44 am by w@nted »
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Online silvrav

« Reply #695 on: September 03, 2019, 09:29:09 pm »
Thanks guys!  Interesting how some ink on paper can make one happy.  :deal:

@Christian Kuun ya the Ferry its nice, BUT it takes time and is expensive, but really happy for you guys to be reunited  :thumleft: Things are moving and thats great news!

@w@nted ya, if you have no narlies (like PCC issues) or medical issues, submission is quite easy if one takes the time to read the INZ websites and call them for any clarification. Some agents is currently milking people for funds. The worst I know about to date is R200,000 just for submitting one family application. If you do everything yourself and just want someone to sense check it and submit it for you,l let me know I have a great agent that will do that for you at about R15,000 - for us it was worth the sense check and confirmation that a registered agent had a look over.

@Brucet, unfortunately, a lot of employers got burned over the last few years with South Africans that accepted jobs and never arrived. Your best bet currently is to take 4-6weeks leave (or your wife depending on who is the most in demand job) and come spend it here in NZ doing face to face interviews, meetings, door to door CV drops etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:14:00 pm by silvrav »

Online silvrav

« Reply #696 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:42 pm »
So we headed the weekend to Ohakune - Its almost half way to Auckland (about 4hours drive from Wellington) and is at the base of mount ruapehu, an active stratovolcano that has some hiccups from time to time (some video below)

For the rest of the time she is pretty timid and the only commercial ski resort on the north island. The weekend we decided to go was forecasted to be the best weekend of the season....  :xxbah:

We got there at about 14h00 and I had a business meeting from 14h30 to 16h30. So we checked in beforehand at a nice little self catering house that was about 10km out of town. - Place called Snowy Waters and it was a old nurses home build in 1941 for the nurses and docters when a major timber operation started in the area, to support the hospital that was understaffed since being built in 1922.

After my meeting, I met back up with the family and we decided to make a trip up the mountain. The mountain has 2 sides, North and south sides and Ohakune is on the southern side. There is a one-way road in and out and often gets closed if the snowfall gets too much. It's about a 14km trip up with various gates and parking spots to stop and fit your snow chains if needed. After about km 15, (each km is marked on the road) 2wd cars are not allowed without chains. Luckily our car is an AWD with low range capabilities so no worries there as the snowfall onto the roads was minimal.

it was COLD! bitterly COLD! we were underdressed so played a bit around in the parking area and snow and did not dare to go up to the top - we need to gear up before we attempt this. it was still great to see and worth the trip, which I am glad we did as overnight more than 5000 people descended on the town, with people arriving at the lodge at all hours during the night  :xxbah:

Saterday morning I had another quick business meeting and by 10 we decided to buy some warmer interim gear to go and attempt the mountain again, but as we arrived 3km from the parking lot cars were already standing in a queue and waiting. We decided to make a u-turn and head home as the initial plan was to head back home at 12.

oh, during my business meeting, 2 helis passed overhead with what can only be described as big cherry bombs on long-reaching arms from the helis. My colleague saw the question marks popping out of my head and he explained they are avalanche bombing the mountain. Apparently, with the wet weather they have been having, the moisture creates an ice layer between snowfalls and this is was causes avalanches  :thumleft: learn something new every day! He further explained they now do if often as just a week before a major avalanche took out the main lift causing probably close to $5mil of damage. Luckily no one got hurt. There was one gent working on the mountain at the time but he saw it coming and ran into one of researching huts.

On our way home we spotted some more snow cap mountains and discovered you can get there so we might make another trip to a less busy area for some snow fun.

Unfortunately, the weekend was not without incident on the mountain, as at about 3pm Saturday afternoon 3 helicopters were sent onto the mountain to evac 3 people. They were standing under one of the lodges and the snow/ice on the roof decided to give and proceeded to trap the 5 people standing underneath. Most ok, with the worse injury being 3 broken ribs and collapsed lung.

image from the location where it happened

Some photos taken during the trip, including of some snowboards - was tempted but ranging from $1k to $5k  :eek7:

fcf2373c-139b-4d22-ac73-5dd1b896b008" border="0
d32f623d-faad-41de-930c-00937b7333eb" border="0
0e603ff3-6122-4d45-9d5a-627d6c8f8436" border="0
90a4eac1-589c-4f25-95d3-0fa46437b81a" border="0
20190831-103234" border="0
20190831-103241" border="0
20190830-124615" border="0
20190830-124618" border="0
20190830-124613" border="0
20190830-124027" border="0
20190830-124610" border="0
20190830-124031" border="0
20190830-124018" border="0
20190830-124015" border="0
20190831-122502" border="0
20190831-122456" border="0
20190831-122451" border="0
20190831-122429" border="0
20190831-122439" border="0

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:19:26 pm by silvrav »

Online silvrav

« Reply #697 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »
The day before we headed to Ohakune I had a quick trip to Auckland for a team building day - it was quite interesting to see how retail operates here in NZ, can't go into to much detail due to confidentiality but let's say competition makes people do funny things  :lol8:

We are also busy rolling out EV charging bays for all our stores, some you can charge for free for 60mins and some you pay for, depending on the operator module.

some more LOTR fandom at the wellington airport - scale 1 to 1 of what they believe the eagles would have been like:

20190828-063342" border="0
20190828-063340" border="0
20190828-063332" border="0
20190828-063336" border="0

Some of the EV charging bays and the view from the conference facility in Auckland

20190829-131939" border="0
20190827-133226" border="0
20190827-132409" border="0
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:20:06 pm by silvrav »

Online silvrav

« Reply #698 on: September 03, 2019, 10:12:49 pm »
The rest of the weekend was spent in the garden, I planted some grass 3weeks ago and its starting to come through  :thumleft:

A quick trip was made to the local garden shop and we bought some veggies to start our veggie patch.

With the new job there is also some spare chance floating around and I can finally get back into fishing - so some gear was bought as I had to get rid of mine before we came over.

Now I just need @Mr Zog to come fish in NZ for a bit  :peepwall:

20190903-161726" border="0
20190903-161720" border="0
20190903-161714" border="0
20190831-165156" border="0
20190831-165205" border="0
20190831-165147" border="0
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:21:04 pm by silvrav »

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #699 on: September 03, 2019, 11:48:19 pm »
Nice, NZ certainly is beautiful.
When that grass starts growing, you gonna be busy keeping it tame.  ;D
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z