Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 77874 times)

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2019, 03:06:22 pm »
I think he last thread I read from start to finish was the XR500R Bedroom build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=35075.0, thanks for taking us along on the journey :thumleft:
My brother and his wife relocated to Hastings (just South of Napier, in Hawkes bay) a few months ago, and their experience has only been positive thus far.  With a young family the move looks tempting, even if it is just for a change of scenery.
The world is a big place, and we should be free to experience as much of it as possible (and give our kids the same experiences)

The plan is to visit my boet and his wife in 2021, let's see what has changed on this side by then.
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #721 on: September 25, 2019, 01:25:18 pm »
A bike related question (as this being a bike forum  ;) ) Has anybody taken their bike(s) over to NZ? Easy/difficult and what needs to be done. I might consider taken my 37 year old BMW with.
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Offline silvrav

« Reply #722 on: September 25, 2019, 10:01:39 pm »
A bike related question (as this being a bike forum  ;) ) Has anybody taken their bike(s) over to NZ? Easy/difficult and what needs to be done. I might consider taken my 37 year old BMW with.

The normal process - need to be data dotted, police clearance done, Sara export papers and nz import papers. I'll try and send you some more details and of a buddy of mine that imported.

Cheapest would be to hire a container to ship, house stuff over and ship your bike in the same container  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: pietas

Offline tulips

• Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #723 on: September 26, 2019, 08:33:01 am »
ianb did it just recently
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=237842.0

And thanks for  the thread silvrav  :thumleft:
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline silvrav

« Reply #724 on: September 29, 2019, 09:46:59 pm »
I call today zombie day  :sleepy1:  Im at the office at 7am, that was 6am on friday and feels like midnight :sleepy1: - We had a daylight savings change yesterday so we moved an hour ahead, its BS that we have to now wake up an hour earlier without as much as a day to just recover and adjust from it - think I must run for minister and change the monday directly after the shift to a public holiday.

Speaking about politics, its voting season in NZ and as residence we can now (well almost) vote, once we have been residence for 12months+. Here you do not see A4 posters hanging from every street light, you dont see people in shirts sporting their colors and dancing everywhere - instead they litter your post boxes with their pamphlets, and its the waxy paper stuff so useless for fire startets  :lamer:

We get about 3 of these every second to third day:

20190928-144542" border="0

This is just for the regional voting, that is taking place on Saturday the 12 October.  The next general election is in November of next year so cant wait to see the amount of pamphlets we get then  :patch:

Then over the weekend at our weekly grocery shop (here you shop weekly for those that dont know, mainly due to pricing) we had to start using the manned check out counters. It seems countdown has activated their scales on the self service checkout counters. So what these scales do is it doesnt allow you to scan the next item until it detects that you have put the first item down on the checkout side. This is to prevent theft I assume. New world, the other supermarket chain also has these scales and a 15 item limit for self service checkouts.

So you can still use it but when the area becomes full you need to take your bags off, the maching starts shouting and moaning at you, you have to wave down the nice lady working there to scan and verify her credentials, all while she apologises profusely (people here are nice  :thumleft: ) and then you can continue.

Anyway, so we decided that we will start using the self service checkouts as it makes it a bit easier and faster, and you dont feel like a box everytime you have to wave down the young ladies. So this was my first manned service check out since getting to NZ many moons ago. I recall using it once before but since almost day 1 I have been using the self service checkouts. I proceed as normal, but at the same time eyeing the other people to see if there is anything special to do. First thing you pack on the conveyer belt is your bags - there is no bagging staff here, so the cashier packs as she scans. oh, and dont try to offer to help, they will tell you NO, in a nice polite way and carry on.

So I continue packing my items out and pack the the last item on the conveyor belt. Manevour my trolley to the end and wait. Next minute a little old lady (highly irrated) ask me if I am done. I politely say yes and she continues to grab this square looking plastic stopper? and put it behind my items and starts unpacking her items. I completely forgot about this - So when you done its your (the unpacker of goods) job to put it down to show you are done and the next person can start unpacking their stuff.  So its basically a barrier between peoples groceries so the cashier knows where to stop.

20190928-110058" border="0

Also my next round of biltong was done and just in time for the rugby:

IMG-20190927-WA0016" border="0
IMG-20190927-WA0014" border="0

and its finally warming up so our little pug, Lilly, is not constantly on our laps anymore looking for heat or comfort. She will now happily go lie on the carpet in the sun

IMG-20190925-102818" border="0
IMG-20190925-102805" border="0

Then, some WTF photos of the last week from around. some of them are from the greenies that marched again about the planets climate issues.

dn5tu46djwo31" border="0
izwYtSKl" border="0
ny6kipw3p7p31" border="0
tlrrbqxc8fp31" border="0
u-IY4xi8-Zjcie-B6b42s-Wv-NR-G0-F0c-Nha-Al-89-N8u-8go" border="0

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #725 on: September 30, 2019, 10:12:01 pm »
Also my next round of biltong was done

Bliksem daai Gerber lyk na n gawe mes!! :thumleft: :drif:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #726 on: October 01, 2019, 07:21:48 am »
Nice - thanks for the update  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #727 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:04 am »
Like the way that VW went straight for the chill zone! Must have had a hectic day...   :imaposer:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #728 on: October 08, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »
Also my next round of biltong was done

Bliksem daai Gerber lyk na n gawe mes!! :thumleft: :drif:

Ja, daai mes kom al die pad saam van SA al - dis die eerste mes wat my 20 steke gekos het  8) Wil mos gryp as hy val....

Offline silvrav

« Reply #729 on: October 08, 2019, 09:29:29 pm »
So the weather is a bit kak again and the last few days have been spent inside. Its also school holidays so not the best timing. But now with some people that is becoming good friends with same age kids, my wife spent about 3 of the weekdays at a playdate and my son is really enjoying his new "maatjies" - he struggles with the concept of names currently so call everyone his maaitjie  ::)

Sunday turned out to be a great day and we decided to head to the zoo. Although it doesnt have that much animals, we didnt make it through the entire zoo as the enclosure is quite big. So after 3 hours of walking, and attending some talks we were kapoet....

We got there at about 9h30, as the zoo opened and got parking close to the entrance - always a score in welly! Entrance is not cheap, for the 3 of us it came to $66 but worth it as the zoo and its animals are well maintained.

There are talks every 30mins at various animal enclosures and the wife wanted to attend the farm animals and tiger talks. Unfortuantely the tigers decided they dont want to come out of their bedrooms so we proceeded to the farm animal talk 30mins later. It was ok, but coming from South africa it wasnt anything new .

I was quite suprised by the enclosure of some animals, especially for a nanny state that NZ is. For animals like the birds, sheep, emu's and even the wallabys have walk through enclosures and you are more then welcome to interact with the animals as long as they are within the footpath reach or on the footpaths.  :thumleft: Was quite enjoyable.

The bigger animals had massive enclosures and nothing cage like that you see in other zoo's

20191006-093655" border="0

20191006-123350" border="0
20191006-121025" border="0
20191006-120135" border="0
20191006-115111" border="0
20191006-114159" border="0
20191006-105515" border="0
20191006-105511" border="0
20191006-103807" border="0
20191006-105510" border="0
20191006-104217" border="0

They have some great rest spots as well, with little coffee/cafes all over the zoo, and catering for the kids is their first priority.

20191006-100637" border="0
20191006-100453" border="0
20191006-100355" border="0

Then, on another note, its duck season  O0

Ducks are everywhere, they even started crossing roads with ducklings behind them, people are currently advised to please stop and allow them to cross roads.

They even just chill on the side walks.

20191008-095756-0" border="0
20191008-095755" border="0

Think its time I get myself that 12 gauge for some duck hunting  :P

and then, mussles anyone - some serious mussle shells spotted on the beach

20190921-071621" border="0
20190921-071629" border="0

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #730 on: October 08, 2019, 11:15:19 pm »
some serious mussle shells spotted

moer mens het net twee nodig vir n hele mosselpot!!! :o
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:38 am »
They Started farming those things in Saldana
They have escaped into the Lagoon, seriously big compared to our local ones
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2019, 08:53:11 am »
Thanks for the photos @silvrav . The zoo looks great!
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2019, 02:18:51 pm »

I am getting ready to leave SA and going to NZ. Few things need to be done still so I am looking at mid to end of 2020.

I have been quoted R22k for my bike but I will be charged duties and "tax" if I move now as I have owned it less than a year. Its only about 6 months old now so by the time I move I wont pay the duties or tax. I didnt know I could include the bike with the rest of our stuff in one container. Thanks for this info.

I will also be taking my Discovery5. Just bought it about a month ago as I couldn't resist the deal I got. The estimated cost of shipping will be around R50k (waiting for a quote now) but due to the deal its still a bonus as I paid well below book and sold the old one well above trade. But the same import rules apply; as long as I have owned it more than a year I dont pay the duties or tax on it. If you have owned it less than a year depending on the length of time you pay a pro-rata fee on duties and tax.

Only two big concerns, is the sale of the house and our dogs. We have 4 dogs and budget is R35k per dog. WRT the house, I need to make sure there are enough funds for the bond etc to be paid should I leave before the house is sold which could be anything from a week to a year (obviously I would drop the price drastically should I need to).

@silvrav  great photos. I have a possible opportunity in Wellington so we may end up being neighbors although we are looking at living in Titahi Bay.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:20:32 pm by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #734 on: October 09, 2019, 05:45:14 pm »
 We have 4 dogs and budget is R35k per dog.

That is plain sick!!! :o :(
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline silvrav

« Reply #735 on: October 09, 2019, 08:25:06 pm »
@Brucet awesome boet! We can arrange a lekker braai when you settled.

On the dogs, budget R45k per doggie...There are some unforeseen costs etc that we didnt know about  :patch:

Then yesterday more writing on the wall that NZ is busy tightning up immigration controls - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12274084

The Parent category visat that allowed individials to bring their parents to NZ based on the kids visas was put on hold in 2016 - This has been now re-opned as of feb next year but with almost a 200% increase in what the children must earn to support their parents. Where previously a single earner had to make $65,000 a year to bring over a parent, they'll now need to earn $106,000 and about $159,000 if they want to bring two parents. A couple will have to earn over $159,000 to be joined by one parent and $212,000 by two.

People are furious about it but one can see why - The parents get full goverment support in medical, senior schemes etc that is subsidised by the goverment. They now putting this back into the childrens hands which is fair.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #736 on: October 10, 2019, 08:22:41 am »
@Brucet awesome boet! We can arrange a lekker braai when you settled.

Sounds great.

Just received the quote for the bike and car and its R52k plus some small charges when it arrives like for storage and various inspections.

Silvrav hope you dont mind me posting this here. It may help someone.

Guide to bringing a car / motorcycle / boat into New Zealand (as at 1st Aug 2015)
New Zealand has some fairly strict rules regarding frontal impact and quarantine regulations associated with
bringing a vehicle into New Zealand. However, if certain steps and processes are followed this can be made
a lot easier.
1) A vehicle / trailer-borne boat / motorcycle will be admitted free of customs charges if the importer is able to
establish that they:
• Have arrived in New Zealand and on the date of importation of the vehicle hold a document authorizing
residence in New Zealand, and
• Have for the whole of the period of 21 months preceding their arrival, resided outside New Zealand or
been domiciled outside New Zealand, and
• Have personally owned and used the vehicle or boat overseas for at least one year before the date of
their departure for New Zealand, or for at least one year before the date that the vehicle or boat is
surrendered for shipping (or, where the boat is imported other than as cargo, the date of its departure
for New Zealand), whichever is the earlier, and
• Give a written undertaking, in such form as a Customs officer may require, that if any such vehicle or
boat is sold or otherwise disposed of within two years from the date of its importation, they will forthwith
pay to Customs the Customs charges that would have applied at the time of their importation, or pay to
Customs such lesser sum as may be required.
Documents authorizing residence in New Zealand - means any of the following:
• A New Zealand Passport
• An Australian Passport
• A current New Zealand Residence visa or permit or a current New Zealand returning residents visa or
permit
• A current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of
the Commonwealth of Australia
• A current New Zealand work visa or a work permit that was issued for a minimum of twelve months
• A current New Zealand work visa or work permit issued under the Work to Residency (Skilled Migrant
Category) policy or the Long term Business Visa/Permit category
• A current New Zealand visitor's visa or permit that was issued for a minimum of three years
2) What you need to check first to see if the vehicle is compliant and can be brought in at all
• Front Impact Rules
From 1 April 2002, all Class MA passenger vehicles (passenger vehicle that has not more than nine
seating positions including the drivers seating position) must comply with an approved frontal impact
standard before they can be certified and registered for use in New Zealand for the first time, unless:
(a) the vehicle was border checked before 1 February 2002, or
(b) the vehicle was first registered outside New Zealand 20 years or more prior to being certified for
entry

Manufacturer’s certificate of compliance for frontal impact & emission standards may be required for vehicles
to be registered for use on New Zealand roads. Detail information is available on the following website:
www.ltsa.govt.nz. It is very important the vehicle is not shipped until the client has written confirmation from
the entry certifiers that the car meets the required standards.
Two of the organizations listed below are appointed by the NZTA to advice on the suitability of vehicles for
import, and carry out entry certification of imported used vehicles and new vehicles that are imported by
persons other than the vehicle manufacturer's representative in New Zealand:
• Automobile Association of New Zealand www.aa.co.nz/
• Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ)Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ) http://www.vtnz.co.nz/
NZ Customs Regulations that are in place for household goods & motor vehicles can be viewed on the
following website www.customs.govt.nz/travellers
3) Once you have confirmation or are yourself confident your vehicle will pass this test on arrival we suggest
before handing your vehicle over to the shipping company you steam / pressure clean the vehicle engine /
under the vehicle wheel arches and cleaning inside the car as well as the boot. This may assist your
Biosecurity clearance, but it is subject to final inspection by Quarantine in NZ, who can re-order cleaning.
4) The following documents will be required for clearance
• Original Registration Certificate and / or original deregistration certificate (with VIN number shown) as
applicable
• Original purchase invoice or New Zealand valuation
• Original compliance certificate issued by the manufacturer of the car if applicable / required.
• Original Passport
• Bill of Lading
5) Once the motorcycle / motor vehicle arrives in New Zealand
• The vehicle will be unloaded from the shipping container at our depot
The vehicle will be inspected by MPI Biosecurity (normally within 3 working days from unloading) –
you should budget between NZ$ 190.00 for a motorcycle / NZ$320.00 for a motor vehicle for this
inspection.
• All motor vehicles and motorcycles are now also subject to a structural inspection. The cost of this
inspection can vary dependant on the type of vehicle and/or motorbike.
Please budget: NZ$175.00 for a motorcycle / NZ$220.00 for a motor vehicle
6) Once the vehicle has been given the green light by Customs, MPI Biosecurity and passed the structural
inspection it will need to be sent to a certified local compliance / testing centre
• We can arrange and charge you for this transport or you may arrange and pay for this directly.
• At the testing centre the vehicle will be checked for compliance confirmation and then following this
given a warrant of fitness check and then registration for NZ roads processed. All charges for this will
be for your account.
• Once this process has been completed the owner will need to go to the compliance centre as the
owner is required to sign certain legal documents in person.
• You may then drive the vehicle away.
7) Please note – if the vehicle was deemed to have failed the MPI Biosecurity inspection and was required to
be sent for further treatment / cleaning, then it will need to be sent via a car transporter to a MPI approved
cleaning facility first before being sent to the compliance and registration centre. This is not a full car valet
centre but rather a facility that will remove / clean the area that is deemed to have failed – perhaps under a
certain wheel or under the chassis for example. Additional charges will be applicable for the clean and
transport to / from the cleaning facility.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

The following users thanked this post: pietas, silvrav

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #737 on: October 10, 2019, 08:35:09 am »

I am getting ready to leave SA and going to NZ. Few things need to be done still so I am looking at mid to end of 2020.

I have been quoted R22k for my bike but I will be charged duties and "tax" if I move now as I have owned it less than a year. Its only about 6 months old now so by the time I move I wont pay the duties or tax. I didnt know I could include the bike with the rest of our stuff in one container. Thanks for this info.

I will also be taking my Discovery5. Just bought it about a month ago as I couldn't resist the deal I got. The estimated cost of shipping will be around R50k (waiting for a quote now) but due to the deal its still a bonus as I paid well below book and sold the old one well above trade. But the same import rules apply; as long as I have owned it more than a year I dont pay the duties or tax on it. If you have owned it less than a year depending on the length of time you pay a pro-rata fee on duties and tax.

Only two big concerns, is the sale of the house and our dogs. We have 4 dogs and budget is R35k per dog. WRT the house, I need to make sure there are enough funds for the bond etc to be paid should I leave before the house is sold which could be anything from a week to a year (obviously I would drop the price drastically should I need to).

@silvrav  great photos. I have a possible opportunity in Wellington so we may end up being neighbors although we are looking at living in Titahi Bay.  :imaposer:

@Brucet are you using an agent?

We are at the point of signing with NZ shores. All our documents are in hand, just waiting for police clearance certificates. Then it is just to find that elusive job offer for a process engineer  :-\

@silvrav From your experience, having an immigration agent represent you in NZ and deal directly with employers, increase the chances of finding work?

It still is an emotional roller coaster though, but I believe we are ready to commit with an agent to get this process done...
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Brucet

« Reply #738 on: October 10, 2019, 09:16:34 am »
Yes I have an agent. Once appointed I think employers look at that as a positive especially if you have paid the agent already.

The agent also gets involved in helping the employer to jump through the hoops.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

The following users thanked this post: w@nted

Offline silvrav

« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2019, 08:51:45 pm »
@Brucet @w@nted be careful of some agents - number one priority make sure they are registered with NZ - https://iaa.ewr.govt.nz/PublicRegister/Search.aspx

There are quite a few scams going around at the moment.

Immigration agents don't really persay represent you in Nz, unless they specifically state they will help you find work. - 90% of their function is to ensure paperwork is completed properly, any niggles you might have is dealt with appropriately in the application (like the little niggle I had) and they do the follow up with INZ for you on the progress of your visa. They are also able to tell you with better accuracy if your path will lead to residency.

Some also believe if INZ sees an agent did the paperwork they don't look at it in so much detail as the assumption is it will be more correct then if someone did it themselves. This is obviously a theory only  ::)

Yes, some agents will help the employers with paperwork, but again only if they state they will do this. Some employers are more comfortable if you do have an agent involved on your side, and paid them as it shows you are serious. In the last few years, there were too many people that stuffed employers around in NZ, so employers are a lot more wary now. Get the agent to give you a letter to say they are working with you to ensure you are document ready for visa submission and attach this letter to your CV/applications.

But in the end, dont rely soly on an agent or recruiter in NZ to get a job, keep sending your own applications and doing networking. Just be open and honest with everyone that you also looking on your own.

The only time I would say to only work with a recruiter, is if your skills are on the short or long term skills shortage list, as they then tend to work with international people more often.

@Brucet if you do need to come over to welly for a few weeks or to meet the employer f2f, just give me a shout - have a spare room and queen bed that you can use  :thumleft:
and this offer is open to any dog that is looking at coming to welly  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: pietas, w@nted, Brucet