Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 69107 times)

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #780 on: November 18, 2019, 11:41:05 am »
that's not a reward,  that's tomatoes on a bush.
weed would have been a reward.
 :thumleft:

Agreed.... But a ham, cheese and weed sarmie just does not do it for me....
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #781 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:05 pm »
To my knowledge, most vegetables are highly suited to intensive urban farming methods.
Even a small patch of earth in a residential plot of land could easily yield enough vegetables to feed the family - and more.

My late father-in-law converted an area in the bottom of his garden into a veggie farm.
He created a wire cage to keep the birds out and made partly raised beds using stacked recycled paving bricks and similar materials.
He installed lighting above so that he could potter about in the cooler evenings relaxing after work.
With modern techniques of drip irrigation and recycled water, even the driest parts of the world can be farmed in similar ways.
(Not that rain is a problem in NZ...!)

As an aside, I tried something new recently.
A tray of tomatoes from the grocer contained one tomato that had partly spoiled.
Instead of whinging about the quality of the product, I cut the spoiled portion off and planted it in the garden.
I loosened the soil and buried the spoiled fruit about 2cm under the soil.
6 weeks later, this was my reward:

:thumleft: Indeed and that's why most people here have veggie patches in their back yards as almost anything grows.

My next patch will have tomaties, onions and lettuce - I will call it the salad patch  :deal:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #782 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:08 pm »
Everyone has been sick since friday, the weekend was mostly windy with some rain so it was another inside weekend. Everyone is complaining, as its unusual weather for this time of the year.

My son got hold of my phone and ask I must please show him how to take photos. So here is some of his arty work of the weekend.

20191117-152208" border="0
20191117-152217" border="0
20191117-152259" border="0
20191117-152332" border="0

Then a jacking barge was spotted around wellington and on further research, it seems they looking for a new route for one of the main water lines.  The current line runs right across an earthquake line that would mean wellington will sit without water if it ruptures during a quake. So they now looking for alternative routes where it won't cross a quake line. It's part of the long term plan for risk mitigation in case of another quake.

Currently, they thinking of putting it across the harbor bottom as it does not go across a quake line. At the same time they looking for fresh water wells as well for in case of emergencies.

What is a jacking barge? The platform has extendable legs that goes down the ocean floor and plant itself to create a stable platform for the crew to conduct test. In this case, they doing geotechnical surveying.

Screenshot-20191113-152153-Chrome" border="0
75610647-10157868819927422-2012647350220095488-n" border="0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:36:58 pm by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #783 on: November 18, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
And its summer, which means cruise liners...lots and lots of cruise liners, at least 2-3 per week  :dousing: Luckily I don't work in the CBD anymore and won't need to bump into them on a daily basis  :sip:

Yesterday it seems when ovation of the seas tried to leave its engines failed and tucks at to ensure it stayed put and not run aground.

Ovation of the sea is the largest cruise liner to visit wellington annually. It can house 4,905 passengers and sails all over from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Alaska.
It is 348 meters long and can achieve a speed of 22knots. It has 18 decks! and its tonnage is 168, 666 GT

76765593-556120498285638-4768104020063551488-o" border="0
eight-col-bigger1" border="0
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:51:16 pm by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #784 on: November 19, 2019, 02:28:17 am »
that ship is a little bit bigger than my Jon boat  :sip:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #785 on: November 20, 2019, 04:29:41 am »
that ship is a little bit bigger than my Jon boat  :sip:  :imaposer:

:biggrin: But I am sure the enjoyment of fishing on your jon boat is much better

Offline silvrav

« Reply #786 on: November 20, 2019, 04:32:05 am »
So the Ovation of the sea finally made it out but apparently the engine problem has been a problem for the last 3 weeks...Just hoping it doesn't konk out at a crucial time.

And then this morning another 2 has arrived for the next 2 days...dwarfing the ferry in the foreground

Offline Splash

« Reply #787 on: November 20, 2019, 08:40:15 am »
Some humour.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #788 on: November 20, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »
Ha ha ha. Very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #789 on: November 20, 2019, 12:21:44 pm »
she eats with long teeth,  all the time.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #790 on: November 24, 2019, 09:08:42 pm »
haha thanks @Splash that was good!

The following users thanked this post: Splash

Offline silvrav

« Reply #791 on: November 24, 2019, 09:26:49 pm »
Summer weather is finally here!!  8)

Friday I had to take my vehicle in for a service. They dropped me off at work in the morning, but at 15h00 decided to walk to Brendan foot (the dealer) as it was only about 1.2km. My office borders the Hutt river and I have to cross it to get back on the right side of town heading towards the dealer and State highway 2.

20191121-133922" border="0
20191121-133620" border="0
20191121-133920" border="0
20191121-133617" border="0

Got the vehicle and decided to go work from home for the rest of the day.

Got home and received a funny addressed letter in the post. It was a test letter fromt he postal service to see if the system is still working. Dont ask me how they know that it actually got delivered  :patch:

20191124-122537" border="0

Its silly season and its really starting to show. Everywhere there are phamplets about christmas functions and the community newsletters are riddled with dates and times of various schools and organisations that are holding some kind of christmas  function....mostly free which is a plus! This weekend we ended up at one of our local shools, aimsbury's community chistmas functions. Free sausage sizzle, free coffee and free cake!  :peepwall: Always good to save a few $$'s but we did donate some canned foods as they do collect canned foods for the less fortunate.

There were also jumping castles, face painting and santa arriving on a fire engine for the kids!

20191124-141407" border="0
20191124-141416" border="0

We had a chilled braai on saterday night at the van vuuren's and I tried a new recipe - Lamp with jalapeno peppers laid on top and covered in cheese!  :drif: :drif: It was hot but delicious!

20191122-132654" border="0

And then, as its silly season it also means lots of work functions, client functions and supplier functions.

I have been invited by one of our suppliers for a deep sea fishing trip this coming thursday!  :biggrin: :biggrin: cant wait! We hopping aboard the Seafarer II and heading to the cook straits!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #792 on: November 25, 2019, 05:42:25 am »
Nice - enjoy. Testing the postal service - first world problems huh  :imaposer:
Eat life!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #793 on: November 25, 2019, 10:44:55 am »
Silvrav what is the price of sheep meat in NZ? Guess someone has to eat all those sheep!! ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #794 on: November 25, 2019, 10:56:36 am »
Wellington is a beautiful place. I was in Upper Hutt for a short period moons ago.

All very civilized, well done.
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #795 on: November 25, 2019, 09:05:38 pm »
Nice - enjoy. Testing the postal service - first world problems huh  :imaposer:

:imaposer: :thumleft:

Silvrav what is the price of sheep meat in NZ? Guess someone has to eat all those sheep!! ;)

It varies greatly from cut to cut - these shoulder chops were on special at $9.99 per kg (so about R90 p/kg) but normal prices range from  $15 per kg up to $35 per kg - average price is about $25, with lamb bulks (leg roasts, lamb packs etc) at $15 per kg average. - overall it's on par or slightly cheaper than beef but I mainly buy whatever is on special for the week as there is always one kind of meat on special.

Otherwise, I buy in bulk from Gilmours (a wholesaler) as the company I work for owns the brand and I am allowed to buy from there. But then its bulk buys, as in minimum 8-10kg packs. You looking at an average price of $15 then but for the quality cuts and pieces.

Overall red meat in NZ is considered expensive vs the other meats and food and it only makes up 1 maybe 2 meals a week for most people in NZ. For us, it is 3-4 at least but the wife says she wants to start eating more fish  :patch:

In comparison - Pork ranges from $10 to $15 per kg average (although now a bit higher due to the swine flu problem in china)
Chicken is $9 to $14 average per kg with whole chickens as low as $7 - guaranteed to be more than a 1.2kg.

Wellington is a beautiful place. I was in Upper Hutt for a short period moons ago.

All very civilized, well done.

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #796 on: November 26, 2019, 02:47:13 am »
What does fish cost Hannes?

I know different species of fish cost different prices, but the "average" fish, and also do you get shrimp / prawns there? Price?

We get lots of shrimp here, but it's seasonal. From as low as $4/lb in season to $15/lb out of season. I guess you can see we only eat shrimp in season  :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #797 on: November 26, 2019, 08:29:42 pm »
What does fish cost Hannes?

I know different species of fish cost different prices, but the "average" fish, and also do you get shrimp / prawns there? Price?

We get lots of shrimp here, but it's seasonal. From as low as $4/lb in season to $15/lb out of season. I guess you can see we only eat shrimp in season  :lol8:

Its like tomatos over here...you only eat it in season xD

Fish us suprisingly not as cheap as I thought it would be. (the more expensive fish) - Hoki, which is almost like hake but better is generally the everyday fish and can be bought as low as $9 a kilo. So you can have fish everyday quite easily. But your more expensive fish (Gurnard, Tarakihi, monkfish etc) ranges from $25 to $35. Red and blue cod is at the middle at $15-$20 p/kg.

Other seafoods are everywhere and relative ok'ish priced. Green sea Mussles are $4 a kg, crab meat at $5 a kg, prawn cutlets at $15 kg, shrimp at $18 (but shrimp is not really a thing here, people eat more prawns) and you can buy whole salmons for as low as $20 a kg - gutted at about $25 a kg.

I also got updated details for my fishing trip tomorrow. Cook strait fishing charters is the company that will be taking us out in their seafarer II. It will be a 45min boat trip out to the cook straits and 45mins back.

Seafarer II
The Seafarer II is a 50ft, (15m) commercial charter and fishing vessel operating in Wellington. The Seafarer II has a fully enclosed cabin as well as outside coverings to ensure passenger comfort and safety.  Surveyed for up to 20 passengers Seafarer II is able to cater to larger groups with ample space to move around the vessel. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:33:06 pm by silvrav »

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #798 on: November 27, 2019, 04:03:05 am »
Vanglekkervis Silverav!  :thumleft:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #799 on: November 27, 2019, 11:25:40 am »
Sometimes the snoek here is from NZ. Do you get it there?