Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 57044 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country.....
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2018, 04:33:01 am »
Good luck Silvrav, holding thumbs for you.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2018, 05:41:24 am »

Thanks Mr zog...and now I am 16hours ahead of you! nearly a full day  :deal: Will warn you well in advance when the world ends  :imaposer:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2018, 10:24:34 am »

Thanks Mr zog...and now I am 16hours ahead of you! nearly a full day  :deal: Will warn you well in advance when the world ends  :imaposer:
:laughing4: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline silvrav

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:23 am »
Currently 14h00 here on the 19th (Tuesday) with only my 3rd day today but feels like its been a week. Struggling to still get use to being so far east with the work times of the country. In SA I am up at 5, to work at 6ish and the city is alive. Not here, here in NZ people generally sleep till its light  :patch: Both my friends that work starts at 10h00 and finishes at 18h00, with the sun going down at 19h00 and in summer as late as 21h00.

Sunday was spent recovering, although I staggered my sleep well and jetlag was nowhere to be seen until 5pm sunday afternoon  :lamer: Took 2 hour nap and was normalized after that. Monday was still recovering, site seeing and making some more calls for meetings. My buddy is lucky enough to be quite flexible with his hours so he was gracious enough to show me around.

Had my first meet this morning at 10h00 in the city so left Northshore at 8h45 with Uber and was in Auckland CBD at 930.... Walked into the gents office while they were still getting their first cup of coffee for the morning....oh and coffeee  ;D Its like pubs in the UK....a coffee shop literally every 100-200m, its coffee madness but for someone that loves coffee its a delight to see! And no, not as in SA where it is a McD's or starbucks or steers on every corner, its unique local coffee shops with only a few international players here.

Anyhoot, back to the traffic....the Uber gent even apologized that it's taking so long but told him no worries...PTA to JHBZ is 2-3hours easily.

The lifestyle is something to get used to something I can get use to easily.... cars standing EVERYWHERE! Its weird to see. Houses have garages but all cars are standing outside (Even saw some Maserati sleeping outside)....why? no bullshit of vandalism or theft or or or. Buddy says the worst that has happened to him in the last 15 years was his GTI's turbo was stolen as apparently there are some boy racers wanna be's. Otherwise its pretty safe to leave your car outside.

Then this morning I pulled a typical Saffer move.... Last night he told me where the keys are for the front door for in case its locked (in case? wtf>>lol) anyway this morning I grab the keys and exit the front door and turn around to lock up...lock the door and for about 1min grabbed blindly for the security gate to close it...only after looking up realising there is no gate  ::) ....Uber driver probably thought, ag no a crazy one so early in the morning.

So far I am loving it....

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2018, 05:34:25 am »
Currently 14h00 here on the 19th (Tuesday) with only my 3rd day today but feels like its been a week. Struggling to still get use to being so far east with the work times of the country. In SA I am up at 5, to work at 6ish and the city is alive. Not here, here in NZ people generally sleep till its light  :patch: Both my friends that work starts at 10h00 and finishes at 18h00, with the sun going down at 19h00 and in summer as late as 21h00.

Sunday was spent recovering, although I staggered my sleep well and jetlag was nowhere to be seen until 5pm sunday afternoon  :lamer: Took 2 hour nap and was normalized after that. Monday was still recovering, site seeing and making some more calls for meetings. My buddy is lucky enough to be quite flexible with his hours so he was gracious enough to show me around.

Had my first meet this morning at 10h00 in the city so left Northshore at 8h45 with Uber and was in Auckland CBD at 930.... Walked into the gents office while they were still getting their first cup of coffee for the morning....oh and coffeee  ;D Its like pubs in the UK....a coffee shop literally every 100-200m, its coffee madness but for someone that loves coffee its a delight to see! And no, not as in SA where it is a McD's or starbucks or steers on every corner, its unique local coffee shops with only a few international players here.

Anyhoot, back to the traffic....the Uber gent even apologized that it's taking so long but told him no worries...PTA to JHBZ is 2-3hours easily.

The lifestyle is something to get used to something I can get use to easily.... cars standing EVERYWHERE! Its weird to see. Houses have garages but all cars are standing outside (Even saw some Maserati sleeping outside)....why? no bullshit of vandalism or theft or or or. Buddy says the worst that has happened to him in the last 15 years was his GTI's turbo was stolen as apparently there are some boy racers wanna be's. Otherwise its pretty safe to leave your car outside.

Then this morning I pulled a typical Saffer move.... Last night he told me where the keys are for the front door for in case its locked (in case? wtf>>lol) anyway this morning I grab the keys and exit the front door and turn around to lock up...lock the door and for about 1min grabbed blindly for the security gate to close it...only after looking up realising there is no gate  ::) ....Uber driver probably thought, ag no a crazy one so early in the morning.

:spitcoffee:

It's amazing! And a double shot is standard. But it's expensive, especially if you're like my and are a sucker for cakes.  :drif:

And if you like bagels, check out Goodness Gracious: http://www.goodnessgracious.co.nz/
And for your burger and milkshake fix, Corner Burger: http://cornerburger.co.nz/

All the best for the meetings!  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:42 am »

:spitcoffee:

It's amazing! And a double shot is standard. But it's expensive, especially if you're like my and are a sucker for cakes.  :drif:

And if you like bagels, check out Goodness Gracious: http://www.goodnessgracious.co.nz/
And for your burger and milkshake fix, Corner Burger: http://cornerburger.co.nz/

All the best for the meetings!  :thumleft:

Damit Sardine! Was trying to keep away from pastries  :drif:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:00 pm »
Lol, the coffee van's really sell good coffees. Flat white is my favorite.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline funky_munky

« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2018, 07:56:45 am »
I found the same thing with Australia, man they are coffee snobs. they will walk 100m past the closest coffee shops to a very specific coffee shop on the corner because their coffee tastes better.  ???

But their coffee is 99% of the time really good. We stopped in some small town half way between Sydney and Brisbane to get a cup of coffee, only building that looked like it would sell coffee was the hotel. yeah right, get directed to the bar, which was packed at 9:00 in the morning. Coffee came out of a coffee machine... That was the worst coffee i have ever had! tasted like the dust which was on top of the machine. Should have grabbed a beer!
Africa Twin CRF1000 and KTM 690 - Aaaah yeah, perfect combo....

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2018, 01:28:11 pm »
I found the same thing with Australia, man they are coffee snobs. they will walk 100m past the closest coffee shops to a very specific coffee shop on the corner because their coffee tastes better.  ???

But their coffee is 99% of the time really good. We stopped in some small town half way between Sydney and Brisbane to get a cup of coffee, only building that looked like it would sell coffee was the hotel. yeah right, get directed to the bar, which was packed at 9:00 in the morning. Coffee came out of a coffee machine... That was the worst coffee i have ever had! tasted like the dust which was on top of the machine. Should have grabbed a beer!

Sounds exactly like Cape Town, home of the best coffee shops in the world  :spitcoffee:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline silvrav

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2018, 07:10:01 am »
Update time.

Been with my second family friends since Saturday here in the south of Auckland, Botany area. Been raining and had some hail today so its been cold! DOUBLE socked my feet from yesterday as since I went over 30 my feet actually get cold  :patch: dam age!

So Saturday was their daughters 4th birthday party and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw her last at her 2nd Bday party back in SA, but just made me miss my little boy even more :( I travel for work but have never missed a weekend at home with my family, so this was the first. Had a whatsapp video call with him and my wife last night....at least we all know what it's for and it makes it a bit easier.

Anyway, it also gave me a chance to meet with a lot of other ppl, including other South Africans,to discuss, ask and talk about their journeys. So was a good day day!

The nights before bed I generally use to catch up a bit, read the forums here and so forth...and then I saw Mr Zogs post  :'( Made me sad, really sad and hit home as we would soon be 15,000km away from my dad and my wifes mom, who both are getting long in the tooth. Again Mr zog, all the best and we are thinking of you and your family  :paw:

Sunday to today was spent with my friends showing me Auckland south sights.

Yesterday I went into one of the local villages to meet with my friends boss, although he doesn't have a job for me, he was willing to give me a good insight into my industry in New Zealand and it was very welcomed! Helping and being nice comes naturally it seems to the Kiwis as it's not the first time.

Then I took public transport, the BUS home...man, what a good, clean experience! It works and is SO easy to use. A Bus stop about every 200ish meter along most major (including residential) routes and you can hop on/off for about 4.5dollars max a day...oh and every bus stop has a proper stop with an info screen showing the busses and the times/delays. My first walk was 50m to the stop and my last walk home was 300m(and this is considered far by kiwis standard)

Have a few good interviews lined up for this week and hoping it goes well.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2018, 12:44:38 pm »
All best with the interviews! Go knock 'em dead. And negotiate to earn a bundle so you can bring the parents over for visits often :thumleft:
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline silvrav

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2018, 01:07:20 pm »
Right, back in SA and back at work.

The last few days was all about relaxing and taking in the sights. Was a good weekend with good weather and some good food and friends!  :thumleft:

Was sad to be back in SA this morning and without an offer but made good contacts and praying it will turn into an offer in the coming months.

Now that I am back in front of a laptop I can post/share some photos without the site tuning me its to BIG!

1. Some really good beaches in NZ

2. Auckland CBD from 27 Stories up

3. As stated previously public transport works. A typical buss stop

A bus leaving and school children walking safely!

4. Lifts in NZ have no internal floor buttons. You select from the outside LCD screen what floor you want to visit and it calls the lift and takes you just to that floor

5. Braai time! Some NZ skaaptjops, steak and chicken! and before you say wheres the wood....wood is moer expensive in NZ...up to 50 NZD for a small bag of braai wood.

6. local mussles! So my friend's wife is allergic to most seafood and he has never had proper mussles. He asked if i am willing to make some while his wife is at the baby shower so that at least he can also experience it

7. Self-check out, self-filling your car etc is a big thing in NZ and they have recently added self-collection as well. You order online at your favorite shop, pay and they send you your locker number and pin.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:56:27 am by silvrav »

Online TeeJay

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2018, 02:05:07 pm »
Welcome back - won't say "home"  ;)

Can't see any of the pics  :(
Eat life!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2018, 02:05:41 am »
Holding thumbs for you for that job offer.

Also can't see the pics...  :-\
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2018, 04:56:59 am »
Photo links updated, let me know if it works now  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2018, 05:44:29 am »
Photo links updated, let me know if it works now  :thumleft:

I see them now  :thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2018, 06:28:15 am »
Eish, our office building in Cape Town has those buttonless lifts. Can't change your mind once you're in the lift, you have to wait to reach the wrong floor, get out, select the new floor and wait for a new lift. Clearly very well thought out ::)

But in general works fine.

Ditto on a job offer coming soon  :thumleft:

Online TeeJay

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2018, 09:40:21 am »
Can see pics - thanks for posting  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2018, 07:58:41 am »
Its one of those days...people said it will be an emotional roller coaster but one always believes it wont happen to you...

I barely started as we are still to sell a lot of things, house included, but today i feel like it is just not going to happen. Spend 2 weeks there, have done over 80 applications and only got 2 bites. Makes one really despondent...But hey, aanhou voorentoe! WIll push through, it has taken some ppl 3 years and keeping the end goal in sight and the reason one is doing it is important!

Let this week begin and see what it holds!

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2018, 10:26:38 am »
Strongs! You'll get there. :thumleft: