Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 54427 times)

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country.....
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2018, 01:45:58 pm »
So been a bit under the weather with tonsillitis and flu at the SAME bloody time ...

So haven't done much in the way of applications but have started again yesterday.

Did get 2 calls and after an hours discussion, they realized that i am not in NZ and therefore will be quite difficult as they need someone ASAP.

So the plan remains....wait for the bonus in September, resign 1 November and plan to land in NZ 1 Feb for 6months.

Until then we busy formulating a to do list for the next 8 months

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2018, 02:18:20 am »
So been a bit under the weather with tonsillitis and flu at the SAME bloody time ...

So haven't done much in the way of applications but have started again yesterday.

Did get 2 calls and after an hours discussion, they realized that i am not in NZ and therefore will be quite difficult as they need someone ASAP.

So the plan remains....wait for the bonus in September, resign 1 November and plan to land in NZ 1 Feb for 6months.

Why don't you use long leave plus unpaid leave?

We budgeted 2 months for the wife to get a job in NZ.
1ste week she basically searched for her feet and met agents etc
end of 2nd week she had 5 interviews lined up all over north island
3rd week hired a camper and drove to the interviews
end 4th week, got 2 job offers, signed one and flew back
Send job offer etc to our immigration agent who did the final paperwork.
Two weeks later got work visa and the additional points
Resigned from SA job and flew over
I stayed behind to close shop, service my skelmpies with terminate letters and packed our earthly stuff in a big tin.
6 weeks later my kid and I arrived in NZ
Nearly a year here now.

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2018, 09:47:43 am »

Why don't you use long leave plus unpaid leave?

We budgeted 2 months for the wife to get a job in NZ.
1ste week she basically searched for her feet and met agents etc
end of 2nd week she had 5 interviews lined up all over north island
3rd week hired a camper and drove to the interviews
end 4th week, got 2 job offers, signed one and flew back
Send job offer etc to our immigration agent who did the final paperwork.
Two weeks later got work visa and the additional points
Resigned from SA job and flew over
I stayed behind to close shop, service my skelmpies with terminate letters and packed our earthly stuff in a big tin.
6 weeks later my kid and I arrived in NZ
Nearly a year here now.

Unfortunately in my field companies tends to want you to begin asap, and with my current senior position I have 3months notice, so NZ companies don't want to wait 3 months + for me to only get there.

I am not on the short skilled or long skilled list either so its a bit harder to land something from SA side.

I am fortunate in that I have a friend there i can go stay for free of charge till I land something

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2018, 11:21:58 pm »

Unfortunately in my field companies tends to want you to begin asap, and with my current senior position I have 3months notice, so NZ companies don't want to wait 3 months + for me to only get there.

I am not on the short skilled or long skilled list either so its a bit harder to land something from SA side.

I am fortunate in that I have a friend there i can go stay for free of charge till I land something

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2018, 08:58:04 pm »
Has anyone applied recently for a UK Spouse Visa? Any comments on how long it took would be appreciated  :thumleft:

I will be going this route in about 18month's time. My wife is British and I currently have a 5 year Tourist Visa for the UK, but need to get a Work Permit / Work Visa if I want to work in the UK. We will be moving to the UK in June 2020.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2018, 07:34:46 am »
Skype interview requested for Thursday night NZ time (so our Thursday morning)  :thumleft: Please hold thumbs gents and ladies.

On other news, one of my friends i stayed with is having her baby boy this week via c-section. Please also pray for their well being.

Then not much other developments except a conversation I am going to have to have with my wife. I have started (while in NZ) and still to this day research about the rental market. I, and some people who being helping me in NZ, has come to the sad conclusion that 99% of rentals, or more so landlords,  in NZ DONT allow pets  :lamer: ... This is very sad news. We have always planned to take our doggies with but now we have to have a serious discussion around this.

1. Either we find them a temp home for 3-6months until we settled and have the time to find a pet friendly rental, or
2. they have to go up for adoption  :'( :'(

I am still holding thumbs that when the day comes the finances and a pet friendly rental unit will work out.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:42 pm »
We brought our Ridgeback with. In hindsight it was probably not in her best interest. She grew up on a farm, and when we got here we were living in a one bedroom apartment. The crate she flew in, the separation anxiety and the flight, stop overs etc. took their toll. She was not the same dog after that. Plus our stress the first few months added to her stress. She did provide a lot of comfort to us. She was the only sure thing in a strange new world. But she was never the same. I felt selfish to have had her go through that ordeal. I will probably not do that to my dog again. Good luck with your decision.
And good luck with your interview
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:27:36 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2018, 03:11:00 am »
Good luck with the interview, I'll be holding thumbs for you.

Try get a temporary home for the dogs until you can get a pet-friendly rental. Our dogs managed the trip over here just fine, and they are an incredible comfort when days are hard.

Just giving my dogglies a hug and a belly-tickle helps me get through some difficult times...  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2018, 08:13:21 am »
We brought our Ridgeback with. In hindsight it was probably not in her best interest. She grew up on a farm, and when we got here we were living in a one bedroom apartment. The crate she flew in, the separation anxiety and the flight, stop overs etc. took their toll. She was not the same dog after that. Plus our stress the first few months added to her stress. She did provide a lot of comfort to us. She was the only sure thing in a strange new world. But she was never the same. I felt selfish to have had her go through that ordeal. I will probably not do that to my dog again. Good luck with your decision.
And good luck with your interview

Thanks, Immigrant, that's another good input/viewpoint.

Good luck with the interview, I'll be holding thumbs for you.

Try get a temporary home for the dogs until you can get a pet-friendly rental. Our dogs managed the trip over here just fine, and they are an incredible comfort when days are hard.

Just giving my doggies a hug and a belly-tickle helps me get through some difficult times...  :thumleft:

I think most likely this is the route it will go but yes need to discuss it with the misses. Our doggies are quite nervous doggies so after reading immigrants post i can see how it may affect them.

Some more news, a talent acquisition manager (fancy name for in-house recruiter ) wants to chat to me on Friday morning NZ time....the time she suggested will be midnight SA time on Thursday  :biggrin: ... lots of redbull needed for thursday!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:16:08 am by silvrav »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2018, 03:55:38 pm »
Holding thumbs Silvrav.

Hope it all works out with both the jobs and the dogs. A colleague recently emigrated to a smallish town in NZ (Hamilton I think) - also had to wait for find a pet friendly rental home, or to buy a property, before they could bring their pets over.

Hard decisions all round.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline silvrav

« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2018, 09:14:11 am »
sigh

so some remember this : http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=211125.msg3851801#msg3851801

In the end even dept of Justice said there was nothing to expunge as my last 2 police clearance certificates showed nothing.

Went to pick up my new one yesterday (as I currently do one every 6months) and guess what...now its showing  :lamer: >:(

Request for expungement filled it and my attorney is submitting this week...3-4 months he says so hopefully before they close in December.

Now, generally its not a big issue with INZ as they just want you to be honest. Problem is now i have to write a nice letter to INZ and inform them of what happened in hopes it shows good character and wont effect a future visa...

11 years later and they just finalised/update their systems was their excuse....ai tog, ffs, another thing to just put a block in the road.  :spitcoffee:

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2018, 06:38:08 am »
Hey KIlroy....wat maak jy in NZ?

Offline TeeJay

Eat life!

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2018, 03:03:27 pm »
https://businesstech.co.za/news/wealth/265161/blow-for-south-africans-looking-to-move-to-new-zealand/

Typical news paper. Virtually nothing to do with the heading.

Yep......seems the norm nowdays...I can't edit the heading  :imaposer: but thought I'd post it here for what it's worth. The better informed Silvrav is the better but it's a silly article.
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2018, 05:33:25 am »
https://businesstech.co.za/news/wealth/265161/blow-for-south-africans-looking-to-move-to-new-zealand/

Typical news paper. Virtually nothing to do with the heading.

yip....And which I agree with. But once you have residency you can buy so not really  blow for SA people  :deal:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2018, 10:00:58 am »
So both second interviews went well and both indicated I should hear either this week or next...

One mention start date as early as 1 Oct/1Nov negotiable.  :patch:

Please hold thumbs  :thumleft: and have a looky here for items for sale : http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226382.msg4111670#msg4111670

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2018, 10:35:26 am »
So both second interviews went well and both indicated I should hear either this week or next...

One mention start date as early as 1 Oct/1Nov negotiable.  :patch:

Please hold thumbs  :thumleft: and have a looky here for items for sale : http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226382.msg4111670#msg4111670

Bevange man, dit klink of dinge beweeg nou!!!
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2018, 03:37:27 am »
Sounds good!

Still holding thumbs for you Hannes!  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2018, 05:37:31 am »
Bly vir jou, glo dit sal die regte uitkoms hê.
Sterkte.
Dakar 650
KLR650