Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 48351 times)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ offer received!)
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
On my way to work, while filtering through the traffic my mind was already wondering and thinking, shit what am I to do if this doesnt work out?

Stop worrying about all that crap and just do what you had in your mind. If it does not work out you just start over as simple as that. When I received my job offer to come work in the Karoo it took me 2 seconds to accept and start making plans how to sell the house/cars etc in the UK. It is stressful but all worthwhile at the end. I just read your whole thread and it is fascinating how a lot of people want to get out of SA so desperately. As IceCreamMan said make no mistake you are doing this for your kid primarily and once they are sorted you can focus on yourself again. It is a tough decision to make. Myself, wife and boys have dual nationality now and can get on the plane and go well pretty much wherever. It all did however not come without blood, sweat and tears.

Good luck with your move and more importantly enjoy the new adventure, nothing like stepping out of your comfort zone once in a while :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline JC

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »
Silvrav: for the doggies, have a look at Global Paws https://globalpaws.co.za/ .We sent my mom's rat/miniature dachshund to Wellington in 2015, and there is no way in hell I could manage that whole process without them. Being in Gauteng is probably easier than from CT, because the dogs need to spend some time at the state vet at Onderstepoort for a final tick in some box before they leave.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2018, 05:35:27 am »
On my way to work, while filtering through the traffic my mind was already wondering and thinking, shit what am I to do if this doesnt work out?

Stop worrying about all that crap and just do what you had in your mind. If it does not work out you just start over as simple as that. When I received my job offer to come work in the Karoo it took me 2 seconds to accept and start making plans how to sell the house/cars etc in the UK. It is stressful but all worthwhile at the end. I just read your whole thread and it is fascinating how a lot of people want to get out of SA so desperately. As IceCreamMan said make no mistake you are doing this for your kid primarily and once they are sorted you can focus on yourself again. It is a tough decision to make. Myself, wife and boys have dual nationality now and can get on the plane and go well pretty much wherever. It all did however not come without blood, sweat and tears.

Good luck with your move and more importantly enjoy the new adventure, nothing like stepping out of your comfort zone once in a while :thumleft:

I hear you and agree...that is Plan B - we carry on selling everything and go to Namibia (my home country) or pick a place on the planet and go.  :thumleft: Just the usually buyers remorse that kicks in fro time to time.

Silvrav: for the doggies, have a look at Global Paws https://globalpaws.co.za/ .We sent my mom's rat/miniature dachshund to Wellington in 2015, and there is no way in hell I could manage that whole process without them. Being in Gauteng is probably easier than from CT, because the dogs need to spend some time at the state vet at Onderstepoort for a final tick in some box before they leave.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Thanks JC! will scope them out...at this point my wife isnt sure what to do. She doesnt want to leave them behind but she also doesnt want to let them fly 18hours in a box, in a plane, with no water and no one checking them, the stress of not being with us and and and.... She is more connected with the dogs then me sometimes  :imaposer:

Offline silvrav

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2018, 09:32:36 am »
So we want to see/experience NZ  during a holiday, to help make up our minds whether we would consider emigrating...

Any ideas on a NZ holiday to see most of what it has to offer?

Any info/tips would be apprecieated.

Thanks
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline silvrav

« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2018, 09:43:39 am »
So we want to see/experience NZ  during a holiday, to help make up our minds whether we would consider emigrating...

Thanks

To be blunt, what is your budget. You can make it a relatively low cost vacation or high end vacation and both will depend where you go.

Happy to help though  :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2018, 09:45:24 am »
Woke up this morning to sms sounds going...teeteet, teetee....R15,000 + R3,069 - referance agent fees, and INZ immigration  :lamer:

So application submitted...now I need to verify passport at VFS and first appointment is only next week Tuesday  :lol8: :snorting: another week of stress...great!

Offline w@nted

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2018, 09:50:12 am »

Thanks

To be blunt, what is your budget. You can make it a relatively low cost vacation or high end vacation and both will depend where you go.

Happy to help though  :thumleft:

It will only be my wife and I, kids will be left at grandma. We are not fussy about fancy accommodation at all, so would rather spend more money on activities etc. I see flights are moer expensive though. Budget currently R60k, if that wont be sufficient, we will have to postpone with a year to save more...
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2018, 09:52:10 am »
Hire a cheap rental car and book some cheap places to stay and simply look around. You can get by on R1500 per day quite easily Plus flights.  :thumleft:

Offline w@nted

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:49 am »
Also, when would be the best time to visit? Ideally summer, but outside school holidays to make it a bit cheaper? Is it best to see top/bottom or both of NZ?

Sorry about all the questions :sip:

Offline ROMMEL HOND

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:48 am »

Thanks
In 2008 we rented a car in Auckland, without a planned route and only a return date we ended up in the middle of the South Island ,flew back to Auckland and then back home.
It was the best holiday ever ....and now we live on the outskirts of Christchurch.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2018, 10:27:20 am »
Also, when would be the best time to visit? Ideally summer, but outside school holidays to make it a bit cheaper? Is it best to see top/bottom or both of NZ?

Sorry about all the questions :sip:

The more north you go the more modern and busier it gets.

South island is older gen and structure and Christchurch was hit by a rather large earthquake 2016 and is still rebuilding.

Wellington (middle of NZ, south tip of northern island) is also know as a windy city and is a mix of old/modern. has been rated one of the best cities to live in for quality of life for a secon year running
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/104217247/wellington-named-most-liveable-city-for-second-year-running

It is very hilly though and something to get use to.

Auckland, northern part of NZ is very modern and expanding rapidly but also has the most to offer on a short trip

So it really depends the kind of live style you want, but its generally possible anywhere in NZ. School holidays (summer break) is about 6 weeks from mid december

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:28:40 am by silvrav »

Offline w@nted

« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:31 am »
Thank you for the input guys!

Starting to sound promising. It looks like flights for 2 will be around R36k. It seems possible to go for around 10 days and stay in budget. I will do some more research regarding accommodation costs and car hire etc.

Would be interesting to see the potential for a process engineering job there... :patch:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2018, 11:04:25 am »

Starting to sound promising. It looks like flights for 2 will be around R36k. It seems possible to go for around 10 days and stay in budget. I will do some more research regarding accommodation costs and car hire etc.

Would be interesting to see the potential for a process engineering job there... :patch:

18k is the max price, but you should be able to get away with 14k if you play with some dates.

Also if you have time and dont mind travelling time there is emirates that flies via dubai as well for cheaper BUT it increases your travelling time from 18hours to 25-30hours.

I went for 2 weeks in June and it was fun! wish i did 4 weeks though. I had friends to stay with so cant advise on accommodation but public transport works a charm. (do get a hop card as its much cheaper)

Remember to start visa applications early as it can take some time

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:30 pm »

What about a camper van?

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2018, 09:02:15 pm »

What about a camper van?

was going to say that, camper van and accommodation is free in laybyes and some areas.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »

What about a camper van?

was going to say that, camper van and accommodation is free in laybyes and some areas.

To explain.

All over NZ are spots where camper-vans (NB...only registered ones with a blue sticker on) may stand free for the night. Just download an app and boom you have 100 of choices where to overnight. For free. Yes free.

https://www.jucy.co.nz/

And don't worry the Hi-Ace camper van's wont get you hijacked and shot and raped and killed
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 11:19:26 pm by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

The following users thanked this post: IceCreamMan

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2018, 06:07:49 am »

Thanks

It might also be a good idea to not go during a holiday.  You will then get a better feel for the day to day life in a city, traffic, etc.  Flights and accommodation will also be cheaper. Try to imagine a place as if you live there and not just doing touristy things.

If force does not help, you are not using enough...

Offline Hermit

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • If there is no dust, I'm on the wrong road ...
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:04 pm »
We went to check the options there earlier this year. Rented a car and did both islands. We loved NZ, just expensive for us though.
Someone there mentioned that there are more people living in Auckland than on the whole South Island ? Unconfirmed though, but I'm sure very possible.
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a "drifter" I was born to "ride" alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time = Whitesnake

Offline silvrav

« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:10 am »
We went to check the options there earlier this year. Rented a car and did both islands. We loved NZ, just expensive for us though.
Someone there mentioned that there are more people living in Auckland than on the whole South Island ? Unconfirmed though, but I'm sure very possible.

This is true.

NZ also only has a fertility rate of 2 vs SA 2.5 and as mentioned before lots of ppl are also leaving NZ for Australia. So NZ are always looking for people