Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 54017 times)

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2018, 09:37:44 am »
Good museum in Wellington if you have some time to pass. Go check out the Britten V1000  - fantastic motorcycle build by a kiwi. Won a couple of races in its day, and clocked the fastest topend in the 93 Isle of Man TT

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: The Potential Journey to a first world country..... (NZ Work VISA approved!)
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2018, 04:05:34 pm »
Now I'm missing New Zealand.

Best of luck finding somewhere to stay. I'm sure you'll come right!  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2018, 04:10:47 am »

I'm sure he will find a place to live soon. He's mos a property manager  :deal:  :pot:  :imaposer:

Good luck Hannes, get a house boat. Two birds, one stone  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #303 on: November 07, 2018, 09:18:05 am »
its Wednesday, but feel like weeks since leaving SA as it been so hectic.

To start from where the last post left off...accommodation. New Zealand is not anything like SA. Here there are so many tenants, rental agents have their pickings on who they want to choose.

It is not like in SA where an agent works for you. Don't think you can ring an agent and ask them to find you a place. No no, here you book a viewing, most during business hours, rock up with about 10 other people/couples that are also interested, have a quick 30min tour and leave. Then if you happy you apply and hope you get chosen.

Besides the above hurdle, I started a new job so it won't look that good me popping out for half a day twice a week or so, and currently there is not much in way of decent houses on the market, apparently, January is better. So I bit the bullet (and my credit card  :lamer: ) and booked into another Airbnb for 3months - Total bill? $3,500  :eek7: or R35,000

Here is the thing though, it works out to about $250 a week, comes with free wifi/internet, power, water and use of their appliances. Previously I looked at single rooms to stay in, communal housing (hostel like) is a big thing here in NZ, and a single room can go for $200-$300. On top of that is another $20-$30 for shared expenses and some you have to arrange your own internet as well. So in my mind, the Airbnb was worth it.

Now I can also take my time to find a proper place in the next 3months, save some money to send back home and not to worry about where I am staying.

Besides the current Airbnb is located on a mountainside! I go up 70m for the 450m walk I do... at least I will get fit in Wellington  :deal:

Today I went to an AA center, its a partnership agreement with the licensing authority in NZ, like our post office has in SA, but instead of just being a paper pusher in SA, here they can convert your license, test your eyes, take a photo of you and arrange test (theory and practical) as needed. I was in and out in 20minutes, and this included an application to join the AA at $79 per annum. It was a tough decision but with membership, I am saving 5% on my life insurance I am busy applying for, which equates to $104 for the year - win already! and I got $3 discount on the umbrella I bought at their shop :)

Then yesterday I had my first New Zealand lunch! Why is it special...cause it comes with beer! Here an afternoon lunch of meeting with a drink or 2 is not frowned upon. it did feel weird drinking during business hours, but hey the boss ordered  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Other than that I did my first site visit today to properties we manage and spotted an automated roller shutter door in the warehouse - its big, its fancy and I am sure very expensive. I do not even want to know how much it is costing them to just maintain as it opens/closes about 100 times a day with forklifts going in and out.

Anyway, supper time then bed as I have an early breakfast meeting tomorrow morning - this week so far has been cheap food wise as people here lunch a lot, bring food to the office meeting and I have a few Christmas parties already lined up - networking is a big thing here.

oh, and guess who is one of my tenants  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Lunchtime - people take lunch by the clock and go sit outside

A temporary license is written out there and then - original will be in the post and reach me in 10 working days

If you do construction here you wrap a building to prevent damages and mostly for the wind

My hike from the bus stop to the place I am staying at - note I do this in a suit  :imaposer:

The areas under the bridges are council parking where its a whopping $18 a day! to park - I had to take the car in one day as I was planning to go view houses.

the fancy auto roller shutter door

and just again, the public transport that works...busses coming and going non stop - about 20 different routes
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:22:39 am by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #304 on: November 07, 2018, 09:19:28 am »

I'm sure he will find a place to live soon. He's mos a property manager  :deal:  :pot:  :imaposer:

Good luck Hannes, get a house boat. Two birds, one stone  :ricky:
:laughing4: :laughing4: I have been planting that seed with my wife for about 2-3years that I want a boat house! If I do i am sure I will be the only own living in/on it

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2018, 07:32:24 pm »
Envious, started thinking this way myself.
My wife was born in Aus so i think it might be easier but haven't started the research yet
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline silvrav

« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:20 am »
Envious, started thinking this way myself.
My wife was born in Aus so i think it might be easier but haven't started the research yet

:thumleft: Get it going, at the moment Aus visa's takes long and is apparently very strict. I have also read they adjusting it again soon

Offline silvrav

« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2018, 03:14:44 am »
What a rough weekend… ::)

Saturday morning  - Packed and put everything in the rental car, and if you recall from the photos, carrying 30-40kg bags uphill is not fun.

Before I went to the new space I did some grocery shopping – here you pick everything, packed everything and pay all by yourself. There are 1 or 2 tills where you can go for help but its known as the senior's isle  ???
Went to the new Airbnb – great another set of 2-3 story stairs leading to the front door…. Watch this space, gonna look like Rambo in 6months.

I was going to chill for a but becided nah, lets get it done. I took the car back to wellington airport yard as this is where I collected. No drop of at other branches here. The senior (probably about 80) promptly reminded me that I forgot to fill up the car before returning it….damit! – Avis in SA charges you just for the fuel but here it’s the fuel or Gas as they call it + $50! So I decided to jump back in and go get it done…cant waste $50. On my return, it was check, check, check, all good and they took me to wellington airport via shuttle where I caught the hour bus ride (20km) to the train station in wellington CBD. I was lucky enough to get to the station 5mins before the train was leaving as after that its 30-45mins before the next run, as its weekend.

From train station to Airbnb it’s a relaxing  :lol8: 1.3km walk…uphill….serious uphill….remember 6months =  rambo

Millimetres vs “bal haar dikte” that’s the difference between SA and NZ  :eek7:

I swear these drivers would be able to split in SA traffic with their cars…. With outside parking being a thing here the roads can get quite narrow and the bus drivers have made me cringe a couple of times, thinking oh shit he is about to take that car mirror off.

Even the train that I now catch in the mornings go through a tunnel where I swear the moss that grows on the wall touches the train as we pass by…

The rest of the day I did some washing and ironing (no cheap labour/maids here and yes compared to NZ, SA domestics are cheap) and proceeded to binch a but of Netflix during the night.

Sunday was met with let me go for a walk but ended up in unpacking and sorting day with some more Netflix at night 😝 – I don’t want too explore to much without the family.

Just before bed I did a video chat with the family back home….miss them terribly  :-\ and little one cried afterwards according to my wife. He seems to really take it hard.  :-[

On that note, all visa’s has now been applied for the family so if all goes well they can join me end Jan/beginning of Feb.

I have also spotted a car that I am keen on and will post some updates if it realises...

Just one photo for now - spotted this outside a coffee shop  :drif: How i wish for 2 wheels! Bikes are big hear but its all your 125 - 600cc as its used mainly for commuting.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2018, 04:01:56 am »
I'm in a cheapo motel in Tampa as I write this, a 2 day work trip.

Have you had any WTF moments yet?  I remember when I first arrived in the USA I had lots of them.. From the awesome service at burger joints and diners to the post office and the DMV.

I'm sure you have, tell us about them. 

And go explore, then you will know where the good spots are  to take the family when they do arrive.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2018, 04:17:33 am »
If you don't mind me asking, why did your family stay behind in SA? I worked a few months in the UAE while my wife stayed in SA and the loneliness was brutal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:42:10 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2018, 10:09:15 am »
Have you had any WTF moments yet? 

My first time in a supermarket in the US the teller askes me Paper or Plastic?
I had no idea what this woman was asking, the third time she asks me the guy behind me explains one has a choice between plastic or paper bags to pack ones groceries in.
I felt like a real dof outjie from Africa. :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline silvrav

« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2018, 08:47:44 pm »
I'm in a cheapo motel in Tampa as I write this, a 2 day work trip.

Have you had any WTF moments yet?  I remember when I first arrived in the USA I had lots of them.. From the awesome service at burger joints and diners to the post office and the DMV.

I'm sure you have, tell us about them. 

And go explore, then you will know where the good spots are  to take the family when they do arrive.  :thumleft:

Good luck...I hate those cheapo Motels :p

I had some but funny enough one that really stuck is one that i saw last night and then walking to the train station this morning.

So its the first all sun good week wellington is having for the summer apparently and everyone is thus doing gardening. Last night saw lots of ppl gardening but the thing i notice this morning is that ALL their tools, wheelbarrows, spades etc was STILL lying outside... one guy at least had the decency to prop it up against the house wall :patch: No fear of theft - This no fear of theft might spike my paranoia even more  :lol8:

I think that's the biggest WTF everytime I notice it...people here are very trusting and even petty crime is minimal. - one example and you gonna love this. The police came to our offices yesterday. Now as a saffer my immediate thought was oh crap they here for someone and I check that I have my passport on me  :imaposer:

Nope, they just here to let us know the guy that tagged (slang word for spraying graffiti on structures) has been caught in the morning and they are the case officers.  :eek7: :eek7: I nearly fell on my back

oh, then one last thing, people are proud people here. Saw again this morning random strangers picking up a paper bag, or chip packet or bottle that the cleaners missed and throwing it away. City is clean!

If you don't mind me asking, why did your family stay behind in SA? I worked a few months in the UAE while my wife stayed in SA and the loneliness was brutal.

Their visas are based on my work visa which we could only apply for once I got my visa. And i had to start working so couldn't stay behind.  :-\ Generally families are separated only for a few weeks but at the moment INZ is overwhelmed with applications at the moment and closing 2 of their offices is also not helping.

Have you had any WTF moments yet? 

My first time in a supermarket in the US the teller askes me Paper or Plastic?
I had no idea what this woman was asking, the third time she asks me the guy behind me explains one has a choice between plastic or paper bags to pack ones groceries in.
I felt like a real dof outjie from Africa. :(

:lol8: :lol8: Here very few places have plastic, its either your own bag or you buy material bgs for $1 from them  :thumleft: I fully support it.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #312 on: November 13, 2018, 10:38:58 am »
Best of luck with your new adventure Silvrav and enjoy the new culture and surrounds. If I can offer you any advice is don't convert dollars into rand and get it out of your system quick as it will consume you with guilt at some point  :thumleft: The faster you adopt the new currency and what things cost the easier you will be able to work towards living within your financial budgets and goals :thumleft:

When I left for the UK many years ago it took me two years to shake the conversion thing and only then I realised how much I have issued worrying about what everything cost.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #313 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:57 pm »
 :peepwall:
Where are my shorts??

Offline silvrav

« Reply #314 on: November 13, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »
Short update today.

The government works! and maintain things... Look how the sprinklers are watering the clean CBD  :thumleft:

Biking is a big thing in Wellington as previously stated but realizing more and more it's actually quite big. - makes me excited as 2 wheels might be not that far of then.

I spotted this plague on the walk way this morning - called coastline 1840. So I googled it when I got to the office and its basically where the old coastline (duh) was, but why the movement? earthquakes  :lamer:

Some extract for the people interested:

Many of the city's modern attractions - Te Papa, Frank Kitts Park, Museum of Wellington City & Sea, Westpac Stadium - are built on what was once water.

The approximate path of the old shoreline is along Lambton Quay to Willis St, down Chews Lane to Victoria St and then along Wakefield St, where it curved around to the end of Kent Tce, which used to be a stream and swamp.

That all changed on January 23, 1855.

A 8.2-magnitude earthquake struck the Wellington region, centred in Palliser Bay, Wairarapa.

It lifted the Rimutaka ranges by six metres, caused a 4m-high tsunami in Wellington harbour and uplifted the northwestern side of Wellington, up to 1.5m in places.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/10678058/How-quakes-shook-up-the-shore
https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/recreation/walks-and-walkways/files/heritage-trails/oldshorelinetrail.pdf?la=en

Pretty flowers

Even a meerkat tool  O0

Then last one, a building shot...it is very much influenced by the Crown heritage so you see lots of these old style buildings like you would in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:46:16 pm by silvrav »

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »
All the best  :sip: following with interest
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Ian in Great Brak River

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:39 pm »
Cool bananas!

I keep checking this one for an update.

:thumleft:
1978. It's 6am, mid winter...two up on a XL 185S ... off to my first casino ever with all of R40 and we've got a full tank of fuel, so enough to get there we reckon.... that's determination...

Old bike: '82 Eddie Lawson Replica
Other bike: '05 Honda Varadero 1000
New bike: '16 Honda Africa Twin.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2018, 06:44:29 am »
As a biker, New Zealand is probably the nicest country to live and ride in.
Yes you will need to get used to riding in rain, but the sweeping roads I travelled on North Island from Wellington are just heaven for a medium sports bike or a cruiser.
The speed limits would frustrate a superbiker or big tourer TOTALLY!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:45:11 am by Fudmucker »
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2018, 07:38:12 am »
Good luck with the adaptations!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2018, 07:46:30 am »
Best of luck.

Also following with interest..
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

www.harleyparts.online