Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 60914 times)

Oubones and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline desert dueler

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2018, 11:02:00 pm »
Bloody typo, quite right.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59:16 pm »
Nice Desert!  :thumleft: Auckland is busy but relaxing at the same time :thumleft: I can see my wife also going to struggle without bruglar bars, gates, etc

I had a proper WTF moment this morning…. So some background first.

Got up, went to the train station as normal, boarded the train and started to read some local news. The train then proceeded to stop in the second tunnel and the driver comes on over the loudspeaker to say there is a small problem with the link past the tunnel and they trying to fix it.

Another 10mins later and the train driver informed us we going back to the station as they struggling to fix the line and the service is canceled until further notice.

Once back at the station we got off and they informed us busses will come to pick us up but I proceeded to walk about 1km to the nearest normal bus stop in the hopes it will come earlier.

The first bus was 20mins late and FULL! I decided, screw it and drove the 5km to work as my boss said I can use the company car park to park in as CBD parking is $20-$30 a day!! :o

Now the WTF moment is while standing at the bus station, with another 5-8 people, no less than 3 people stopped to offer people rides into town and to the closer bigger bus stop…. I mean complete strangers, stranger stopping and saying I can take 4 people into town, or to the nearest station. WTF :eek7:…so friendly and trustworthy. SA you wouldn’t dare for fear of being hijacked or worse. ???

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2018, 02:16:07 am »
Nice Desert!  :thumleft: Auckland is busy but relaxing at the same time :thumleft: I can see my wife also going to struggle without bruglar bars, gates, etc

Got up, went to the train station as normal, boarded the train and started to read some local news. The train then proceeded to stop in the second tunnel and the driver comes on over the loudspeaker to say there is a small problem with the link past the tunnel and they trying to fix it.

Another 10mins later and the train driver informed us we going back to the station as they struggling to fix the line and the service is canceled until further notice.

Once back at the station we got off and they informed us busses will come to pick us up but I proceeded to walk about 1km to the nearest normal bus stop in the hopes it will come earlier.

The first bus was 20mins late and FULL! I decided, screw it and drove the 5km to work as my boss said I can use the company car park to park in as CBD parking is $20-$30 a day!! :o

Now the WTF moment is while standing at the bus station, with another 5-8 people, no less than 3 people stopped to offer people rides into town and to the closer bigger bus stop…. I mean complete strangers, stranger stopping and saying I can take 4 people into town, or to the nearest station. WTF :eek7:…so friendly and trustworthy. SA you wouldn’t dare for fear of being hijacked or worse. ???

Yip, isn't it just awesome to live in a place where that can happen?  :thumleft:

I have completely lost my fears of crime, I no longer see each situation and wonder how I am going to become a victim because of it. It's incredibly liberating.

Remember that situation, and each time you miss your kiddy and wife, remember it, and KNOW why you are doing this, and being apart from them for a couple of months. It will be so worth it when your child grows up not having to live in the fear we lived in for so many years.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Ganjora

« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2018, 05:58:04 am »

reminds me of the time lourens ran out of juice and someone stopped to help.
thankfully,  with this being south africa,  he had prayed to god first,  so the guy that came to help didn't rape,  rob,  hijack or murder him.
how's that for a WTF moment!!! (lesser with the prayer?  no.  a greater WTF moment,  after you consider the miracle...)

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:34 am »

reminds me of the time lourens ran out of juice and someone stopped to help.
thankfully,  with this being south africa,  he had prayed to god first,  so the guy that came to help didn't rape,  rob,  hijack or murder him.
how's that for a WTF moment!!! (lesser with the prayer?  no.  a greater WTF moment,  after you consider the miracle...)
Yes, and the other day a lady stopped with her bike next to the road and got murdered.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
« Reply #365 on: November 29, 2018, 07:38:32 am »

and another one this past weekend stopped waiting for friends and a policeman stopped and waited with her

Quote from: Andre E on Today at 07:25:34

Yes, and the other day a lady stopped with her bike next to the road and got murdered.

-----------------------
Douglas Norval

Offline WimC

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2018, 10:31:10 am »

and another one this past weekend stopped waiting for friends and a policeman stopped and waited with her

Quote from: Andre E on Today at 07:25:34

So according to you the waiting policeman cancels out the murder of an innocent  lady. Makes total sense to me.🙄🙄🙄 Hijack off.
Silvrav we moved to Aus 5 yrs ago, best decision I’ve ever made. It is incredible how quickly you start enjoying life without being concerned about  personal safety. You soon realize that it’s normal, and the way it should be. In SA every decision you make has to have a security component too. Where are you going to park? Which route you’re taking home? Etc, etc. Your family would quickly adjust to the feeling of freedom and safety, enjoy it!!!

[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:36:33 am by WimC »
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Offline silvrav

« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2018, 01:52:56 am »
So since our robbery we haven't really replaced much, and most of the insurance money is being used to fund our move. I have also used a tablet for work, and at home its a nice to have for the wife to try out new recipes as its small enough to have in the kitchen without being in the way.

So I spotted this busted windows tablet on trademe for $10. The screen is busted and most places here wants $150 to change it out with a new one  :eek7:...new they only about $250-$300. So most people would just walk away or buy for parts. I googled a bit and can get an OEM replacement from ebay for about $20. And now in NZ not spending 3-4hours time commuting daily I have time on my hands  O0

My first question to the lady was to send me some photos.

So she pops me some photos and the LCD is not cracked and still works 100% - She also mentions they locked out of the account and cant remember the passport. Now thats no biggie to me as I am quite technically so happy to take it as is.

Payment made and now await for it to arrive... - lets see if I can save $100-$150  :thumleft:

Offline Quincy

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #368 on: November 30, 2018, 07:38:19 am »
 :sip:

Online TeeJay

« Reply #369 on: November 30, 2018, 07:54:40 pm »
How do you get on with the people at work? Do they accept you or treat you differently? I guess a lot depends on your personality but I was just wondering - I mean they could have employed a local surely - is there any resentment from the staff that a guy from SA got the job?
Eat life!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:02 pm »

Yip, isn't it just awesome to live in a place where that can happen?  :thumleft:

I [have completely lost my fears of crime, I no longer see each situation and wonder how I am going to become a victim because of it. It's incredibly liberating

Difficult to explain that and the concomitant stress one is under without being conscious of it...

Took me a while and still probably not 100 percent relaxed about it, guess it’s a bit like PTSD.

Last night I walked to the cycle club AGM, it’s a bout 2 kms and I generally walk wherever I go but last night I knew I was goin to have a couple of pints so walked. The club is across a large park, an I mean large with a walkway that is not lit up. Leave the AGM bout 22:30 and admire the clear sky and the lights in the distance from the town I live in. Lost in thought and suddenly I hear footsteps behind me, large adrenaline shot, fight or flight syndrome kicks in as it does with us ous, just a jogger out jogging at 22:30 ...he got a fright cos I got,a fright I suspect.

I thought I was over it, still have a way to go I guess.

It’s incredibly liberating to be able to walk outdoors late at night and not have to worry. The locals I have friended laugh at me and take it for granted. Sad hey.  Or when I cycle deep in the woods an see lil old ladies with their dogs, completely vulnerable but not a problem here.
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:04:36 pm by ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline silvrav

« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2018, 12:06:28 am »
How do you get on with the people at work? Do they accept you or treat you differently? I guess a lot depends on your personality but I was just wondering - I mean they could have employed a local surely - is there any resentment from the staff that a guy from SA got the job?

So far they quite accepting...it is a bit hard adjusting as they all youngish (my age or 3 years younger) so the use of slang is a big thing, but will adjust. I think being a yound dynamic company they dont mind and so far it seems to be working out well.

I'd still keep my eye at the back of my head open at night and still lock me doors.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11760899

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/325271/NZ-among-worst-countries-for-crime

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/102680021/government-aims-to-cut-prison-population-and-fix-abnormal-system

I can also pull articles 10 years old to make any country look bad... and yet murder, assault with intent to do grievance arm isnt on those lists.

NZ isn't perfect, no country is but SA is less perfect then NZ, and besides, being from SA if it gets worse I would really start feeling at home  :imaposer:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2018, 12:18:29 am »
I have realized quickly if you happy to do some labor you can save lots and lots of money.

As part of my tool replacement I went to the local hardware shop and got a torque wrench as in the greater scheme of things the more I start doing myself on the car the more I will need it. Had to spend $80 for it  :patch: a Tough bullet to bite while money is tight, but the labor alone to change brake pads would be over $150 if not more. Then parts cost, their markup, GST, etc.

But now I have the tools I need for future work as well and will therefore just be a saving everytime I do something myself.

While I was out I also filled up as there was a P on the way with 98 octane.... most places have 91,93 as the majority are older cars. So very few places do 98. So far i only know of BP.
What is nice here as well if you plan and link up plans you can really save some $. Countdown (like a shoprite), caltex, BP, AA and a few others all are in a plan together. So what happens when every you spend above a certain amount at any of these stores you can accumulate savings to a point where you want to spend it. Now i opted to put my savings into fuel and this morning got a discount of 0.24c per liter, which was just over $9  :thumleft: and on a $80 fill-up bill that's over 10% saving

My office for the day:

Savings!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:19:27 am by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2018, 02:30:40 am »
Good job Silvrav  :thumleft:

It's very possible to save lots of cash when you do stuff yourself. As with the cash-back type deals you just mentioned on the fuel.

Just stop converting everything to ZAR in your head, it will make you crazy. Trust me  :peepwall:

Rather work it out as "how many hours I have to work to pay that" after taxes, of course. When I buy a burger for lunch, I work it out and figure that I have to work 30 minutes for it, or whatever.

Week before last when I decided to spend $99 on that Milwaukee tool, I worked out that I'd have to work around 10 hours to buy it (after taxes). Then I decide if I really need it  :sip:   :lamer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online TeeJay

« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »
Cool - glad they are accepting of you - makes it pleasurable to work there.

Enjoying your thread - and appreciate the effort you put in posting pics and giving updates. Thank you  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:52:02 pm by TeeJay »
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #376 on: December 02, 2018, 08:23:19 pm »
Good job Silvrav  :thumleft:

It's very possible to save lots of cash when you do stuff yourself. As with the cash-back type deals you just mentioned on the fuel.

Just stop converting everything to ZAR in your head, it will make you crazy. Trust me  :peepwall:

Rather work it out as "how many hours I have to work to pay that" after taxes, of course. When I buy a burger for lunch, I work it out and figure that I have to work 30 minutes for it, or whatever.

Week before last when I decided to spend $99 on that Milwaukee tool, I worked out that I'd have to work around 10 hours to buy it (after taxes). Then I decide if I really need it  :sip:   :lamer:

This is true, but will take a while...  :deal: I like the hours idea  :thumleft:

Cool - glad they are accepting of you - makes it pleasurable to work there.

Enjoying your thread - and appreciate the effort you put in posting pics and giving updates. Thank you  :thumleft:

THanks TeeJay!  :thumleft: Must add sometimes its slower then African Time but sure I will get use to it over time :p
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:24:12 pm by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #377 on: December 02, 2018, 08:32:52 pm »
Today marks 1 month and 1 day since I landed and 13 days before I finally move to my own home.

Then get it set up and ready for the family... Super excited as I then have my own space and garage to start working in. There is quite a few things I still want to do to the car but require power for it and it still feels strange to me working in the road on my car...feels all merican (  :peepwall: sorry Mr Zog), so will wait till I move to get those items done.

I had a hiccup with the brakes on Saturday that the front was the wrong size  :lamer: Seems someone upgraded the calipers in its previous life. Good news is though that they still very good (5mm) and I left them in.

The rears I changed and they all good now. Luckily here exchanging or returning items doesn't feel like a pain as the service folk are always friendly and very helpful.

I then proceed to undo the radio head unit as I didn't happen with how long the GPS unit took to obtain the signal. I originally wired it to the metal support behind the dash unit, but now rerouted it past the glove box and up the side panel so that it sits outside now on top of the dash just below the license disk.

Then on my way to work this morning spotted some more fully electrical busses... Wellington transport is trying hard to go more modern and all green energies.

Brake pads to small :(

Electric bus - sorry I see now i took the photo like my back end

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #378 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:22 am »

I [have completely lost my fears of crime, I no longer see each situation and wonder how I am going to become a victim because of it. It's incredibly liberating

Difficult to explain that and the concomitant stress one is under without being conscious of it...

Took me a while and still probably not 100 percent relaxed about it, guess it’s a bit like PTSD.

Last night I walked to the cycle club AGM, it’s a bout 2 kms and I generally walk wherever I go but last night I knew I was goin to have a couple of pints so walked. The club is across a large park, an I mean large with a walkway that is not lit up. Leave the AGM bout 22:30 and admire the clear sky and the lights in the distance from the town I live in. Lost in thought and suddenly I hear footsteps behind me, large adrenaline shot, fight or flight syndrome kicks in as it does with us ous, just a jogger out jogging at 22:30 ...he got a fright cos I got,a fright I suspect.

It’s incredibly liberating to be able to walk outdoors late at night and not have to worry. The locals I have friended laugh at me and take it for granted. Sad hey.  Or when I cycle deep in the woods an see lil old ladies with their dogs, completely vulnerable but not a problem here.

It's true what you're saying ICM... We live in a constant state of PTSD. It's sad.

Friday night at 23:15 while sleeping, I was awoken by a loud thud and a loud scream in our bedroom. It wasn't even a split second and I was up screaming NOOOOO! running towards the bedroom door. I cannot even explain what went through my mind....

It took me a few seconds to realize what happened. Our 2,5 year old crawled in his sleep and fell off the bed. (He's co-sleeping in his cot next to our bed)

I cannot explain the shock I STILL have.

I have this thing (I'm sure many people do) when sometimes, when I lay down and as my head hits the pillow, I get flashbacks of dreams I had.
A few minutes after the indecent, when I went to lay down, I relived the scary thoughts and feelings that shot through my body.

Also, having had a break-in in March this year, we've installed beams. Even after numerous tuning, every now and then we'll get a false alarm during the night.
Unfortunately, I cannot go to bed without setting the alarm.

It's such a sad country we live in.

PS. I had a final interview last week for a job in the Netherlands. Holding thumbs.

Jammer vir die hi-jack Hannes.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #379 on: December 03, 2018, 08:18:40 pm »

It's true what you're saying ICM... We live in a constant state of PTSD. It's sad.

Friday night at 23:15 while sleeping, I was awoken by a loud thud and a loud scream in our bedroom. It wasn't even a split second and I was up screaming NOOOOO! running towards the bedroom door. I cannot even explain what went through my mind....

It took me a few seconds to realize what happened. Our 2,5 year old crawled in his sleep and fell off the bed. (He's co-sleeping in his cot next to our bed)

I cannot explain the shock I STILL have.

I have this thing (I'm sure many people do) when sometimes, when I lay down and as my head hits the pillow, I get flashbacks of dreams I had.
A few minutes after the indecent, when I went to lay down, I relived the scary thoughts and feelings that shot through my body.

Also, having had a break-in in March this year, we've installed beams. Even after numerous tuning, every now and then we'll get a false alarm during the night.
Unfortunately, I cannot go to bed without setting the alarm.

It's such a sad country we live in.

PS. I had a final interview last week for a job in the Netherlands. Holding thumbs.

Jammer vir die hi-jack Hannes.

Geen probleem  :thumleft:

And holding thumbs for you! Let us know when you hear back.