Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 45489 times)

Offline nemodakar

Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #440 on: December 31, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
Silvrav, Santa popped in 9 days after my writing of the application… shal we do that beer?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Aa lekker and congrats  :thumleft: when you flying?

@Mr Zog wow and that's us dollar so about 30 to 40 NZD per kilo  :o that's dam expensive indeed.

Maybe long term hunting? That's my plan atleast as well to get some venison meat.

I have a friend over there that is a keen hunter , and if i might add, a good shot.

Where abouts are you?

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #441 on: January 02, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
Silvrav, Santa popped in 9 days after my writing of the application… shal we do that beer?

Nicely done Christian,applied for a visitor visa
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:27 pm »

Aa lekker and congrats  :thumleft: when you flying?

@Mr Zog wow and that's us dollar so about 30 to 40 NZD per kilo  :o that's dam expensive indeed.

Maybe long term hunting? That's my plan atleast as well to get some venison meat.

I have a friend over there that is a keen hunter , and if i might add, a good shot.

Where abouts are you?

I am based in wellington  :thumleft: But happy to travel anywhere in NZ for a good weekend of hunting.

Nicely done Christian,applied for a visitor visa

mmm, was your primary intent to visit or look for work? That is what they will base visitor visa's on.

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz
http://www.visabureau.com/australia/skilled-occupation-list.aspx

My luck is uit. Niemand soek n twatwaffle nie

Ek was ook nie op daai lysies nie  :thumleft: Anything is possible.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #444 on: January 02, 2019, 09:11:48 pm »
The past few days have been very chilled at home, just lazying about missing the family... its getting tough and it's discouraging me from doing things   :xxbah:

I did finish the car lights and for now, I am happy with it, but got some orange peel, so might have to redo it at a later stage. (I think it wasn't hot enough on the day when I did the clear coat).
however, it is still much better then what it was.

I also spotted a great deal that was listed on trade me for an old washing machine for $30. See, I was supposed to get a free washing machine with my internet that was supposed to be connected on the 20 December. It was delayed to the 9 January and they only ship the washing machine once your fiber is connected  ::) The laundry mat down the road asks $4 a wash and If I had to do 2 loads every weekend at $8, with petrol taken into account its $10 a weekend.

I estimated another 4 weekends at least so $30 well spent. Afterward, I will sell it or donate it to the salvation army or hospice.

So today is back to work day... was a tough morning to get out of bed. The problem here is 99% of curtains/blinds are blockout curtains/blinds. So where I was used to waking up with the sun or an hour or so just before, the body seems to don't like these blockout idea  :peepwall: Some mornings I woke up at 8, which is super late for me  :eek7:

I did start leaving the curtains open a smidgen so that my body can "sense" when the sun is actually up  :imaposer: But this morning was still a mission when the alarm went of at 530.

I usually catch the bus at 0630, but 630 rolled on and no bus. I realized their holiday season timetable is still probably rolling which means a bus only every hour, and not the normal 30mins intervals.

The bus arrives and the card reader is out of order - driver says no worries, free trip today  :thumleft: score! The holiday season route was also confirmed when a commuter had to direct and explain the route to the driver  :deal: Apparently they are short staffed and even the ops managers got roped into driving today.  :ricky: He had all his routes for the day printed,  except for the first one  :lol8:

oh, one last thing - I am really enjoying staying close to the park with a view - It really brings back those childhood memories of when I was younger. I see so many families and kids and dogs and and and... I don't know when last I saw kids flying a kite!

All that yellow gunk and oxidation coming off  :thumleft:

After - no more yellow and its clear

Kids flying kite

The gent that I went to go collect the washing mashine from stays accross a semi beach  :drif:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:16:33 pm by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #445 on: January 03, 2019, 04:00:59 am »
Those headlights are looking good buddy!  :thumleft:

Is that your garage you are working in? The construction looks exactly the same as my workshop. 2x4 frames and aluminium sheets screwed to the sides and roof?

If it gets cold in there you can insulate it with stuff like "think pink" and then put thin plywood over to keep it in. Really easy, and it makes a hellofa difference. Yes, the insulation is expensive, just do a bit at a time. Start with the roof, keeps heat down in summer, and keeps warm in in winter.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #446 on: January 03, 2019, 04:21:56 am »
Those headlights are looking good buddy!  :thumleft:

Is that your garage you are working in? The construction looks exactly the same as my workshop. 2x4 frames and aluminium sheets screwed to the sides and roof?

If it gets cold in there you can insulate it with stuff like "think pink" and then put thin plywood over to keep it in. Really easy, and it makes a hellofa difference. Yes, the insulation is expensive, just do a bit at a time. Start with the roof, keeps heat down in summer, and keeps warm in in winter.  :thumleft:

It is indeed   :thumleft: nz seems to have same structural construct as there in Florida due to high humidity, natural disasters etc. So I might call you from time to time  :peepwall:

Once we buy I'll definitely insulated the garage but to add it was considered hot for wellington when I worked in it and was very bearable for me, so might not be needed. Although we have high humidity that makes you sweat the temperature itself stays relatively low to mid twenties.

Winters are a different story, or so I am told.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #447 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:25 am »
Ja, winter in that garage will be like inside a freezer  :eek7:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #448 on: January 04, 2019, 11:45:32 am »
Lights are looking good  :thumleft: and so does the billies. I like your taste in meat-cut...that nice thick layer of yellow fat is what dreams are made of (just don't tell your cardiologist)!

I am very jealous and cant wait to get across. I am still trying to secure a more permanent job but will take the 3 month contract if all else fails. The employers are very cool and laid back about it.

Good luck mate and keep the updates coming

Edit: I will also most certainly be taking all my rifles. If you can hunt, you have an unlimited source of free protein.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:46:08 pm by Christian Kuun »
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline landieman

« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2019, 10:42:32 am »
lights are looking great  :thumleft: ,the purpose of my visa is to meet up with recruiters and to come home(SA) with a job offer then finalize for my work visa

The following users thanked this post: Un-Lurker

Offline silvrav

« Reply #450 on: January 06, 2019, 08:24:18 pm »
Lights are looking good  :thumleft: and so does the billies. I like your taste in meat-cut...that nice thick layer of yellow fat is what dreams are made of (just don't tell your cardiologist)!

I am very jealous and cant wait to get across. I am still trying to secure a more permanent job but will take the 3 month contract if all else fails. The employers are very cool and laid back about it.

Edit: I will also most certainly be taking all my rifles. If you can hunt, you have an unlimited source of free protein.

Yellow fat....exactly! and it works so nicely with my recipe  :thumleft:

Nice, have you booked your ticket yet?

lights are looking great  :thumleft: ,the purpose of my visa is to meet up with recruiters and to come home(SA) with a job offer then finalize for my work visa

If this was your main reason on the application for a visitor visa they would deny it.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #451 on: January 06, 2019, 08:38:10 pm »
This weekend was another car weekend. Dont you just love dealer detailing and by that I mean lacking the detail part in detailing :patch:
The car feels like it was dunked in a polish vat with white residue everywhere!

I spend most of Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon giving the car a proper wash, polish, wax. So spend most of the day in the garage lying down cardboard boxes and sheeting for the car to stand on. Also using no hosepipe made it take longer.

In NZ its illegal to wash your car in the street or any cement surface where the runoff goes into the stormwater drainage. The stormwater is not treated and runs directly into the rivers and sea. You only allowed washing your car on grass or dedicated washing areas (which has treatment plants) so that the water is filtered through before reaching the rivers/sea again.

Rest of the weekend was spent setting up freeview (local TV) as my TV comes built in with the decoder as local tv has gone digital a while back. So with normal TV (and no tv license required), you have full digital program guides, info, etc. Works a treat.  :thumleft: and funnily enough enjoying adverts  :spitcoffee:

While I was out doing weekly grocery shopping I spotted a special on rump steak so decided to make some more biltong so that the guys at the office can have a taste. The last batch didn't survive  :peepwall:

While watching a spot of school cricket I spotted a granny mowing her lawn. I also booked a return ticket to Auckland this coming weekend as it's my buddies 40th birthday and can't miss it.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:40:42 pm by silvrav »

Offline immigrant

« Reply #452 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:20 pm »

... I don't know when last I saw kids flying a kite! .....

We love flying kites. I have a 2 meter aerofoil kite. Fun times

I also have to “polish” my wife’s truck lights. They “replaced” it last year after she hit a deer, but I am 100% sure they replaced it with used parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline immigrant

« Reply #453 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:04 pm »
How much longer before the family joins you?
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline silvrav

« Reply #454 on: January 06, 2019, 09:06:08 pm »
aaa nice Immigrant. I probably will get a kite as well, and might even look into kitesurfing once finances improve in the coming years.

About 6 weeks before they fly, so we passed half way and can't wait  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2019, 07:04:57 am »
Almost there - nice  :thumleft:

Enjoy reading your thread!

Thanks for the effort.
Eat life!

Offline landieman

« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:07 pm »

Yellow fat....exactly! and it works so nicely with my recipe  :thumleft:

Nice, have you booked your ticket yet?

If this was your main reason on the application for a visitor visa they would deny it.
My reason was to visit friends,could luckily suspend my ticket so not losing out on 16k worth of flight ticket.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #457 on: January 15, 2019, 04:19:10 am »
Wow, what a busy past week it has been. :o

Things started off slow past Monday with people coming back to work but from Tuesday it was full steam ahead. We had a property flood, we had roof sheeting blow off a roof, insurance claims, new tenants taking occupation, contractors not getting to work, etc etc etc. Was busy!

I also had to get home early on Wednesday as the fibre company phoned me at 930 to say, hey we standing in front of your house to finish the fibre installation. Got a bit pissed off as the sms said they will be there between 1 and 4 for which I planned.  :lamer:

I also had a short day on Friday as I had a flight booked to Auckland for the weekend!! My one buddy had his big 4-0 on Saturday and I was invited. The flight was all of $79 return as I decided to fly back on the Monday and spend another day in Auckland. Unfortunately when I got to the bus stop the 91 (express service to the airport) was cancelled and I couldn’t wait for the next one, which was 30mins later. Therefore I had to grab a taxi! $32 vs $5 for the bus.  :eek7:

The last 2 or so years I have travelled a lot! And all of it was international travelling into Africa, so flying domestically, where I don’t have to spend an hour going through passport control was welcoming! I literally got off the plane in Auckland, walked down the back stairs, through some roller gates into the parking area of Auckland airport. My buddy and I went for a pizza and beer before heading to his place.  :ricky:

The weekend was excellent! Haven’t seen them in almost a year so every night we didn’t get to bed before 1! Granted that was their 4month old sons feeding time so they didn’t mind.

The party was on Saturday and most of the guests had kids, but we made one BIG family bed for them in the lounge where they could pass out while the adults braai’d, talked and just have fun!

While cleaning up and packing away items I discovered this little guy sneaking about the garage! Apparently, they are native to NZ and it's my first time seeing a wild hedgehog out and about! He was quite big and fat which is always a good sign!
Another fun fact, there are NO snakes in NZ  :thumleft:

I flew back on Monday afternoon, but not before going for a final coffee. I probably turned the big cup 3 times looking for the handle before realising there is none!

Once landed I caught the 91 into town to get my normal bus back home. Interesting fact, there is a route through the mountains for only the bus, to cut out major congestion from the airport to the city!

Now back at work and pushing forward with more work! Had to visit the high commission of South Africa at lunch time (and yes it was a quick and pleasant experience actually) to give approval that my wife can travel with my son, as we got their visas yesterday:ricky: :ricky: :ricky: O0

Auckland here I come!

First braai in over 3months!

Nice fat little guy!

Handless coffee!

Back to welly!

Bus tunnel!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:21:22 am by silvrav »

Offline Motor1

« Reply #458 on: January 15, 2019, 05:25:45 am »
Hey Hannes, well done on the family visas.  When do they arrive?
Sold: 2010 BMW F800GS
Sold: 2010 XT660Z
2011 XT1200Z
2013 Vespa 300 Gts
2009 Suzuki AN400

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #459 on: January 15, 2019, 06:27:28 am »
Lekker  :thumleft:
Eat life!