Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 54184 times)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2019, 01:56:56 am »
Nice - 4 weeks is nothing  :3some:
Another guy's 4 weeks is nothing. Your own usually last forever! But it is getting closer!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #521 on: February 15, 2019, 04:43:10 am »
No longer 4 weeks, you can start counting days now!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2019, 07:06:39 am »
Nice - 4 weeks is nothing  :3some:
Another guy's 4 weeks is nothing. Your own usually last forever! But it is getting closer!

True that  :imaposer:
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #523 on: February 20, 2019, 02:41:16 am »
Been a busy week, work-wise and on the phone sorting last minute stuff out still at home.

not much to report this week except that IKEA, who recently announced they opening their first store in NZ, left NZ of their world map  :lamer:  :imaposer: :imaposer:

&feature=youtu.be

Tomorrow also marks 3 weeks until the family boards that plane  O0

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #524 on: February 20, 2019, 03:51:55 am »
I have over 9 months before I'll see my son again.  :'(

I try to keep really busy so I don't think about it too much.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #525 on: February 20, 2019, 04:55:19 am »
It is now just a blink and then your family joins you! :thumleft:
The busier you are the faster it will go.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline silvrav

« Reply #526 on: February 20, 2019, 09:13:59 pm »

:'( I feel for your Mr Zog...its heartbreaking, but you have a plan, keep planting that seed  :thumleft:

So we all currently watching what Tropical Cyclone Oma is doing. Rated as a category 2 and currently moving between Aus and NZ over the Coral Sea. Not knowing if it will turn towards NZ or Aus or just keep pushing over the Tasman sea south.

Either way, predictions are a wet and cold couple of days with even snow being predicted. Had a bad nights sleep as the wind picked up and had some gust winds blowing all over. Still getting used to a wood house with all the creaking and noises that come with it.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #527 on: February 21, 2019, 03:18:14 am »

:'( I feel for your Mr Zog...its heartbreaking, but you have a plan, keep planting that seed  :thumleft:

So we all currently watching what Tropical Cyclone Oma is doing. Rated as a category 2 and currently moving between Aus and NZ over the Coral Sea. Not knowing if it will turn towards NZ or Aus or just keep pushing over the Tasman sea south.

Either way, predictions are a wet and cold couple of days with even snow being predicted. Had a bad nights sleep as the wind picked up and had some gust winds blowing all over. Still getting used to a wood house with all the creaking and noises that come with it.

Ooh  :eek7:   that tropical cyclone is what we call a hurricane over here  :deal:

Cat 2 is strong, but not too bad. Your wooden house will be just fine. If it turns up to a cat 4 or 5, and heads directly your way, then hold onto your hat!  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #528 on: February 22, 2019, 01:01:33 am »
Thanks Mr Zog  :thumleft: Now i know, anything above a cat 3 I will tie everything down.

Predictions are it will just be chilling over the tasman for the next 7 days before dissipating, so not hitting either NZ or Aus.

Also on my walk to a meeting today a building in the street had an evac drill. This is compulsory for ALL buildings in New Zealand and must be done twice a year. As property managers, we do inform the fire department so it's up to them to respond or not. however,  I have been told 1 out of ever 5 they do respond to as part of their training. Was great to watch them storming in with the fire truck and people making it as easy as possible for them to get in.  :thumleft:

Today also marks 8-years since the 2011 quake in the south island (Christchurch) that killed 185 people.  :'( Some memorial speeches taking place with media recapturing the events of that day.

Dust clouds caused by the 22 February earthquake (© Gillian Needham)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #529 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:39 pm »
I came across this video of Saffers in NZ:

I wonder if you agree with the views...?
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #530 on: February 23, 2019, 04:20:16 am »

Interesting.  Our confidence is often mistaken for arrogance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:34:31 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #531 on: February 23, 2019, 08:03:25 am »

I think if it is linked to other anti-social attitudes some of us still retain from the bad old days,
then it can easily be regarded for arrogance.
If it is just a "can-do" approach, then I don't think it would be.
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #532 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:46 am »

I think if it is linked to other anti-social attitudes some of us still retain from the bad old days,
then it can easily be regarded for arrogance.
If it is just a "can-do" approach, then I don't think it would be.
I have lived in another country for 15 going on 16 years. The fact is that you are different. The locals, irrespective of which country, try to measure you by their own standards, which is normal as that is all they know. So they interpret things incorrectly. In effect it is like trying to adjudicate a cricket game while using rugby rules. you keep on getting the wrong result.

HAving said that, a lot of people left SA because of racist attitudes.
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Christian Kuun

• Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #533 on: February 24, 2019, 07:21:46 am »
The biggest gripe according to everyone I met in NZ was Saffas trying to recreate SA and telling the Kiwis how to do things "our" way. A person has to remember that you are a foreigner in "their" country and things must be done "their" way. The kiwis are very well informed of all things South African, in general. I found them friendly, helpfull and welcoming (I ended up playing a golf day with my mate and a bunch of Kiwis). They arent very social as in "come over for a braai" or "dinner at our place on Saturday" but they are a good bunch.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline silvrav

« Reply #534 on: February 24, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »

Not really - I think the biggest problem, which the video focuses on, are the people that came across in the 90's early 2000's. People moved without doing proper research and not knowing what to expect.

Secondly, there is a diversity between South Africans in NZ as well. There are a lot that just refuses to integrate into NZ and just wants it to be another South Africa,  (and its touched on at 6:30) and he is correct. Then you have the other "group" that is open and wants to integrate and usually makes kiwi friends as well. I was at a braai recently where there were SA's, white kiwis and Maoris and it was great fun. Generally, you don't hear from there south Africans as life is good and they have nothing to complain about. (guess its just like in SA, you don't hear from the people that are having good lives complaining). You do get the SA guys that struggle and with all mankind you generally try and assist those you relate best with.

The groups that struggle in NZ, are the first group, as they just want to talk Afrikaans, make fun of people and only socialize with other South Africans... of course, you going to feel out if this is your attitude. I had an SA guy stay with me for a week that was very old school and use the K word often, he was to stay with me for 3 weeks but after 1 week I asked him nicely to leave. There was a recent group on facebook that started kicking out south africans as they kept asking for help for furniture and household goods as they just landed and only brought their clothes, so no planning there. Now I have no issue with people asking for help in the SA groups but this group was a group for the NEEDY in NZ after major disasters, like earthquakes, floods and recently the fire in the south island. - starting to see why locals see us as arrogant?

With SA arrogance, I can see it being an issue and its something I work on constantly in my workplace. I watch how I say/suggest things to try and not come forth as knowing everything or trying to enforce my ways, which does make it difficult as its one of my KPI's (to improve processes and have twice the years in experience as the next guy in the business).

The problem or rather, other issue is the kiwis are very laid back and relaxed - they work their 8-5, take lunch, talk kak most of the day at work and come 14h00 on a Friday it's drinking time. They consult for a bit with other teams within companies for a second opinion before making decisions.

In comes SA guy that's use to working 12 hours a day running around non-stop and works/talks fast as he has a million things to do, making decisions on the fly....This can be seen as arrogance.

Overall it is as @Christian Kuun said, the Kiwis are very friendly, helpfull and welcoming. It is for us to integrate not for them to adapt to us.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:55:21 pm by silvrav »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #535 on: February 24, 2019, 09:05:43 pm »
The weekend was a WET one, Oma moved more south than expected and we got the outer storms. Yesterday, by my expectations we probably got 30mm (if not more) of rain. It was raining non stop! At about 12h it started getting cold, and by 1 it was about 12deg.  My plan for this weekend was gardening but that went out the window!.

I closed the lounge doors and fire up the aircon (or heat pump as its known here) to 25'C. It is recommended here to use your heaters/heat pumps if it's cold AND raining to help with keeping moisture out for in case of mold growth.... So yes I did it only for this reason  :peepwall:

Otherwise, I am prepping for the families arrival. I also have another South African coming to stay with us for about 4weeks so he will be there when my family arrives. I got another queen bed and proceeded to put this together on Saturday. Dam bed took its pound of flesh when the one end decided it had enough and proceeded to drop on my foot  :o Nothing broken and the instructions to recommended 3 people to assemble it  :lamer:

I also got this little balancing bike for $5 from trademe and popped out to the hardware shop to get some new red paint. Going to sand it down, clean the rust off and give it a good coat of new paint, reassemble with new sparkly bolts and give the rubbers a good clean. When my boy lands (as he is landing on his birthday) he will have a new toy to play  :thumleft:

Still on the lookout for a proper train set as he LOVES trains and rather keep looking then buying something in the moment that wont last.

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #536 on: February 24, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »
Silvrav, 200%. Very nervous nation and nobody can commit. The buck is always passed. Like you say- a Saffa walks in, works hard, commits and owns it. It may be perceived as arrogance. Take stuff in,the Liwi stride and they will love you.

Also, agree- all my mates are happy and living well. Nothing like the TV series depicted.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:41:19 pm by Christian Kuun »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #537 on: February 24, 2019, 10:46:47 pm »
Silvrav, 200%. Very nervous nation and nobody can commit. The buck is always passed. Like you say- a Saffa walks in, works hard, commits and owns it. It may be perceived as arrogance. Take stuff in,the Liwi stride and they will love you.

Also, agree- all my mates are happy and living well. Nothing like the TV series depicted.

You here yet mate?  :sip: We need to go for that beer if you are

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #538 on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:26 am »
Not yet bud. Flying out on the 7th March. Will definitely give you a shout when there. Just bought some wheels…  Camry 2.2 with 280 000 on the clock, for $2k

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline merlin

« Reply #539 on: February 26, 2019, 08:51:42 pm »
Julle ouens het darm n plek met lekke weer gekry. Oostenryk vang slegte winters en knorrige mense.
Maar nou mag ek officially n KTM kry.
Geniet daar onder. :thumleft: