Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 44550 times)

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2019, 12:32:28 pm »
Thank you Rommel Hond
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2019, 12:51:29 pm »
I have an Irish passport

Are the Irish allowed in any other countries?!! ;) :lol8:
Brucet how did you get an Irish passport, by being born there of through mom or dad? Would love to go travel the country lanes of Ireland. Love the music and pub in small town culture. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2019, 01:22:32 pm »
I have an Irish passport

Are the Irish allowed in any other countries?!! ;) :lol8:
Brucet how did you get an Irish passport, by being born there of through mom or dad? Would love to go travel the country lanes of Ireland. Love the music and pub in small town culture. :thumleft:

Apparently the Irish are allowed in once. :)

My mother was born in Ireland.
On a side note, busy getting my kids passports too. You think SA Homeaffairs is bad.....try the Irish - even worse. For all my applications they required some documents. My passport was eventually approved which it wouldnt have been had I not submitted the correct dosuments. So you would think they would just use my passport to "prove" the things they need proving. Nope, I have to resubmit all the same paperwork and more - sounds eaasy if that paperwork was mine (its my mothers). Now if SA would just give me an unabridged marraige certificate I think Im pretty sorted - been a 2 year frustrating, expensive process.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #623 on: April 07, 2019, 10:01:31 pm »
They must speak foreign, Mrs Z !

In ZA, there would have been a total traffic snarl-up with much hooting, swearing and rude hand gestures...

...even if there were only two cars!

Agg frikkie, I love it when you talking foreign  :deal:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #624 on: April 07, 2019, 10:05:17 pm »
Silvrav thanks for this thread. I am considering moving to New Zealand also, my sister is already there, so Im busy going through the thread. I have an Irish passport so do you know if it is any easier to get residency there with this passport?

My main concerns are:
- my daughters who are now both older than 18
- our dogs
- my bike will be going with
- and obviously a job there.

To add to some of Rommels comments

- Kids under the age of 24/25, if still dependant on you can come over with you but if they want to work will need a work visa, or student visa if they want to study. - check INZ website for exact details
- :peepwall: we bringing one and its shit expensive  :peepwall:
- If you have owned your bike for more then 12months and commit to not sell it in 24months when landing no GST or duties are due. Look at loading it in your main container then you dont have to pay double shipping etc.
- Job = visa, without one it wont be easy.

On the Passport, residency is based on a points system, and the origin of the passport doesn't give you extra points.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #625 on: April 07, 2019, 10:08:59 pm »

Are you allowed to pick-up wood from the beach? If you are, why not use that just for a fire, not to braai on?

Some say yes, some say no as this is covered by the bylaws - extract below. Another thing to consider the Maori's are very mother earthbound so you might upset the locals if you do take stuff.

Council Beach Bylaw (2009) also restricts the taking of materials. No sand, driftwood, native estuary vegetation or stones (where they form the predominant beach material) may be taken from beaches unless: no power tools are used to chop up or break down the beach material, the material is carried on foot or written permission for removing the beach materials is obtained from the Chief Executive

Offline silvrav

« Reply #626 on: April 07, 2019, 10:30:25 pm »
It's been raining....ALL weekend and it's still raining. Been a good weekend, inside  :peepwall: Even the seagulls have started to come inland to avoid the rough seas.

I put up a washing line in the garage so that we can at least do some cloth washing. I planted some tomatoes, as they freaken expensive here, as well as some Capsicum.
The veggie, however, is in need of some weeding which is now starting to look like a mini forest  :patch:

Also didnt get to clean and work on the new braai.

I also had to renew my cars rego (car license) this past weekend. Got an email, click the link, paid and the new disk will be in my post box at home in 2days  :eek7: just another wtf moment.

I am also noticing Maori words more and more and its really locally driven for people to also learn the language - some building has translations posted around for you to learn.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:51 am »
I am also noticing Maori words more and more and its really locally driven for people to also learn the language - some building has translations posted around for you to learn.

:spitcoffee:    :lol8:

Arawera is just like someone mispronouncing elevator  :imaposer:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #628 on: April 11, 2019, 12:50:13 pm »
Can someone please help with my upload speedon 4G? SA Says it will ttakr longer

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #629 on: April 11, 2019, 02:43:17 pm »
That's just....well......er.....bragging  :imaposer:
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #630 on: April 17, 2019, 11:18:33 pm »
Busy busy busy! The gent that stayed with us has finally moved out and we can officially re-arrange the house as we see fit.

We have also started sorting the wives items out for New Zealand, IRD, license, insurances etc. Had another bit of a WTF moment as to how quickly it all went.

We also went to write our IELTS test. IELTS is an English test that all immigrants (outside of US, EU, and Canada citizens) have to take to prove you can speak/listen/read/write the English language very deliciously  :imaposer:

It was at the University of Massey and the first step is the speaking test. You sit down with a moderator that will have an everyday conversation with you. She asked about the weather, where I was from, what did I like about my hometown, Do you think beauty can be expressed in a painting, and some more other random stuff. She looks out for proper work and sentence structure, struggles to pronounce words and if you can respond correctly to her questions.

The next 3 tests (reading, writing, listening) is a sitting test. With the reading test you read through various articles and have to answer questions based on the articles.

With the writing test, you have to write an essay. I was asked if I agree or disagree that if emergency rescue workers should risk their lives to rescue extreme sportsmen (for example extreme hiking, mountain climbing etc) .
They look out for grammar, spelling, paragraph structure, punctuation and if you can argue a valid point. Here I was thinking, dam @Wooly Bugger would probably write back to them about all their errors  :peepwall:

The listening test you have a 2-3min audio clip to listen to and then answer some questions on what you hear. The problem here is you have 30seconds to scan the questions, then the clip starts playing and you have to answer the questions as the clip is playing. You also only hear the clip ONCE. So instead of just concentrating on listening, you have to also read and answer questions at the same time to ensure you don't miss anything.

The test in its entirety takes about 4 hours and wasn't that bad overall. We got our results yesterday and I got an 8 out of 10 and my wife got an 8.5 out of 10  :ricky: :biggrin: You need 6.5 minimum to apply for residency.

On that note, we proceeded to submit our EOI (expression of interest) to get into the pool as we have the 160 points required. Once selected we will get an ITA (invite to apply) for a residency where we then submit all the documents and application to prove what we stated in the EOI is correct and accurate.

Then if all goes well, they will deduct roughly $3500  :lamer: and send us our residency stickers for our passports, so please hold thumbs guys  :thumleft:

With residency, our stay is 90% permanent, then 2 years from getting residency we can apply for permanent residency (it has fewer travel restrictions) and then 3 years from that we can apply for citizenship.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:44:40 am by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2019, 03:22:33 am »
Great news on getting the process started getting the permanent residency  :thumleft:

Just 5 years and you can get citizenship. I have 2 years to go to get mine  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #632 on: April 18, 2019, 04:11:11 am »
 :deal:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #633 on: April 18, 2019, 05:52:28 am »
Great news on getting the process started getting the permanent residency  :thumleft:

Just 5 years and you can get citizenship. I have 2 years to go to get mine  :ricky:

Nice Mr Zog  :thumleft:

I just double checked something on the eoi and this message popped up. We have been selected from the pool!!! Hopefully everything is in order and we can get an ITA  :ricky: :ricky:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #634 on: April 18, 2019, 07:08:53 am »
Well done  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 07:09:20 am by TeeJay »
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #635 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:01 am »
13 hours and only 600km... :o kapoet, going to enjoy sometime in Auckland. Full RR coming when I return to wellington  O0

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #636 on: April 24, 2019, 03:43:04 pm »
Nice  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #637 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:39 pm »
13 hours and only 600km... :o kapoet, going to enjoy sometime in Auckland. Full RR coming when I return to wellington  O0

The short distances on those windy roads at speeds of 90-100km sure do make everything seem like half a world away.
Country side must have been spectacular though!

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #638 on: April 25, 2019, 10:44:13 pm »
I was one of the first in the world to see Friday… lol. Dont get much further East than Gisborne

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:58:33 am by Christian Kuun »

Offline Christian Kuun

• My Web Album
« Reply #639 on: April 25, 2019, 10:52:41 pm »
Silvrav is right, I feel like I have wrestled a moose after driving a camper for 2 days. Its like a never ending Chapmans Peak. Here are some pics from the 2 days- Auckland to Gisborne

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:00:58 am by Christian Kuun »