Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...  (Read 60371 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: Life in New Zealand - The move has been made...
« Reply #700 on: September 04, 2019, 06:18:28 am »
Nice - thanks for the update. That volcano - wow - nice video.
Eat life!

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2019, 08:22:52 am »
@silvrav looks like you guys are having a brilliant time.

A few months ago I told a prospective employer that I thought it was a bit soon as I was not very organised at the time. He appreciated my honesty as he needed someone within two months so not wanting to mess him around I declined.

I now may have another chance at an opportunity as they wanted to know when they could call me on skype. Im a bit more organised now so lets see what happens. Its a position much lower than my current position but after all the shit happening in SA this week I am at the stage of not really worrying about that too much.

Anyway, hopefully one day we can have a Wilddogs get-together in NZ.

BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2019, 08:30:15 am »
Thanks for the update @silvrav. I will definitely contact you with regards to the agent to check the documents. Job hunting is in full swing, will give it a few months. If I am not successful, then like you said, I will attempt a trip looking for work/interviews.

It really is a beautiful country, thanks for all the photos.
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2019, 12:40:02 am »
@Brucet @w@nted I hope it works out for both you!  :thumleft: I think we about 15 WD here so a mini bash (some on bikes some not) could potentially be arranged  :3some:

Small update:
I got a 1-3kg class rod for my son to learn from young as fishing is great father/son time. I still have fond memories of my fishing trips in Namibia with my dad and uncles.

The weekend was cold, and Saturday was not just cold but WINDY! We ended up heading out for a bit of fishing at 11h00, I know it was way too late as it was nice sunny weather so the fishies would be out to sea or under the rocks hiding.
Regardless, it was a good opportunity to learn my rod and reel and get back into something I haven't done for years!

It took some time to get the bait, get it hooked, seated and ready to go as I am basically relearning the stuff and only remember some stuff as I go along  :sip:
I did remember to make up some rigs at night during the week so that saved some time.

The family came with and enjoyed the time out.

Sunday morning was father and son time only so we went out quite early, at about 7h, but the current was strong and the water dirty, so although I got some bites, it seems nothing big enough to take the hook.

The beach is also quite rocky, well almost all rocks/pebbles, which makes it even more difficult.... But I have met some local fishermen and they have shared some good spots with me. If the weather holds, as we have been having awesome weather, we will go to a more sandy, well-known fishing beach on Saturday.

So, on to work, at our office we have a nice coffee machine that makes good coffee, but come Monday it was out of order. I had to thus make some instant coffee. Easy enough until it came to adding the hot water, a crucial part in making coffee you know.

I looked around, everywhere for something indicating its a boiler, or hot tap or something. I spotted the tap with its pretty red and blue light. Not wanting to test the hot water with my finger I tested the cold one first.
Out comes ice cold water - success!

Proceeded to put my cup under the tap and press the red button....nothing  :patch: Not even a drop.

I proceed to test the cold water again and it works flawlessly, press the red button again and no go  :lamer:

I almost give up but one guy that saw me, without me even knowing, steps and shows me that you need to press the little red bar under the handle and press the red level at the same time.  :o WTF, its apparently a safety (child switch) for the office full of adults. So for the rest of the day, you saw adults making funny hand gestures at the hot tap as you need hold your cup, press the safety switch, press the tap and ensure you dont burn yourself.

Another new thing learned for the week.

20190906-200307" border="0

20190907-105403" border="0
20190907-105335" border="0
20190907-105331" border="0
20190907-105322" border="0
20190907-103931" border="0

20190904-084245" border="0

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2019, 02:36:18 am »
Brilliant Silvrav, those memories will last a lifetime with your son  :thumleft:

Makes me wish mine was closer to me  :'(
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #705 on: September 16, 2019, 01:21:21 am »
Brilliant Silvrav, those memories will last a lifetime with your son  :thumleft:

Hows the plan coming along mr zog? Is there still the chance of him moving over when he is a bit older?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #706 on: September 16, 2019, 01:40:07 am »

Hows the plan coming along mr zog? Is there still the chance of him moving over when he is a bit older?

The plan is still just that, a "plan". Right now his mother has no plans to let him come live here, but each time he visits I try to let him see for himself what life is like. When he turns 16 (4 years to go) he can make his own decision, I hope it is to come over here.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

« Reply #707 on: September 16, 2019, 02:35:47 am »
The weekend was broken down in 2 days  (as most are  :deal: ) and Saturday saw normal housework, grocery shopping, etc. and Sunday housework as we would not be home on Sunday  :peepwall: We created a local group on Whatsapp for us that enjoy fishing, new guys and guys thats been here for years and on Friday we decided, the weather looks good enough for a Sunday fishing trip :)

Now the spot we were heading to, long gully beach, is part of a reserve and is generally closed to cars on Sundays as Sundays the roads are for the cyclist, joggers, and walkers. Luckily one of the guys in the group stay on the reserve and have access codes to all the gates  >:D score!

So Saturday night we spent getting all the gear ready, checking and double-checking that the tackle box is stocked and ready, packing the cooler box with water, some vitasport,(its an electrolyte drink - energade/powerade basically), healthy nut and cranberry bars and some good old potato chips :)

The alarm goes off at 4:45, and I get up to make some coffee. I wake the misses and little one but both look at me like I am crazy and sometime during the night they both decided they not coming anymore.  I get on with packing the car and set off at 530. We planned to meet at 0600 at the wellington wind turbine parking and from there we would go down towards the beach.

For what was predicted to be a nice sunny day, turned into a wet, rainy, misty morning and what an eventful day it turned out to be.

The last guy (now 5 of us) pulls in at about 06:05 and we head out. (photos of the way down below). So it was Ryno, Roan, Gareth, Chris, and me.

20190915-063600" border="0
20190915-063131" border="0
20190915-063130" border="0
20190915-062930" border="0
20190915-062039" border="0
20190915-062034" border="0
1add1be7-c106-4523-81fa-e62d9ee1ba1e" border="0
fd9c981c-bc79-46d4-b2ec-d6598a4f0535" border="0
41d26d24-ab66-4f37-8faf-1b79419a4a86" border="0

It is a stunning trip down with some spectacular views. We all had either a 4x4 or AWD with low range as some areas had steep rocky or muddy down and uphills.... we got down from the mountains and had about 200m left when yours truly, outlander (company vehicle :p )decides that no, I am getting stuck right here  :lamer: My fault as I didn't switch traction control of beforehand. From later photos, you will see the ground is not sea sand but more a mix of pebbles, grit, and rocks.
By now it has also started to rain, and we made peace with the fact that we are getting wet. Roan, had a hilx 4x4 and reversed it closer, we got digging to get to the outlanders front hooks and hook her up to pull her out. Luckily it was a short 20m to the embankment with rock hard ground and we left her there as the last 200m was the same grit, or worse.

We cross-loaded my stuff to the Hilux and Ryno's Suzuki and continued. We all got dressed in some kind of rain/fishing protection but in the end, it still didn't help much. from about 7 to 12h00 it was either misty, spitting or full-on raining. It didn't stop us though and between the 5 of us, we had about 8 lines in the water. We all agreed beforehand it's still early in the fishing season and will most likely not catch any keepers but it was still great to get out the house and wetting the lines.

We had some strong bites, and the first 2 hours was running between the rods as the tips were twitching with bites.  We all seemed to have lost some big fishes/fish? as it bit right through 2 of our lines. We suspect it was barracuda as they tend to come look for shelter at the coast when it's rough out. Some spotties were caught, some eagle rays and 1 eel....that was quite the kicker and fighter and at about 1.5m. Unfortunately, due to the weather, we didn't take many pictures and caught no keepers.

IMG-20190915-124438" border="0
IMG-20190915-124429" border="0
IMG-20190915-124426" border="0
IMG-20190915-124418" border="0
a512205f-3f59-4dc9-a969-a5d262fca185" border="0
151aa459-ef98-48a6-84f4-f34b4116b968" border="0
5c1c0021-87a3-4ed8-84ed-0121c79597ec" border="0
2c28ee9c-1f23-4acd-833f-d23f7cd136c5" border="0

At about 12h00 Roan decided to test out his drone and took some areal shots and videos for us (will upload once I receive a copy). and at 12h30 we had a visitor.....

Capture" border="0

They literally hovered about 10-15meters of the surface of the water at roughly 25m in front of us, did a circle above us, come to the front of us and hovered again - wave off and continued slowly along the coast. - we later saw on the local Facebook page that it was a military helo with 2 fisheries officers on board. They were patrolling the coastline looking for poachers and any wrongdoing  :thumleft: Was quite the sight to see. Some googling reveals its a AW109 and operates from the airforce base in Palmerston north.

According to some they even landed at some spots where they asked for licenses etc.

Roan and I decided at about 13h00 its time to head out as the bites have stopped and we still needed to clean and prep for work the next day. On our way back we were met with a rock slide that took out most of the road.
Luckily the rain cleared up about an hour beforehand and the surface wasn't to wet. It was a tricky and dangerous situation but after some assessment and rock rearrangement, we got passed it safely.

ba5a41da-60f1-40de-8fb2-5cba91ab0d86" border="0

Once we got back to the parking lot of the Wind turbine, I stopped to take some photos and left for home.

IMG-20190915-142339" border="0
IMG-20190915-142336" border="0
IMG-20190915-142332" border="0
IMG-20190915-142329" border="0
IMG-20190915-142326" border="0

Got home at about 15h00 and the rest of the afternoon was spending cleaning and washing fishy cloths. Although we didn't catch any keepers, we had a great time!

The weather looks good for this coming weekends  :pot:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #708 on: September 16, 2019, 10:46:57 am »
Nice  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline silvrav

« Reply #709 on: September 17, 2019, 09:40:25 pm »
Facebook lit up last night (NZ time) which was tesuday morning in South africa. NZ has announced the coming changes in immigration law, and its the biggest changes since 1990.

You see, when labour came into power 2 years ago they committed to cut net immigration numbers down from the current +-60,000 per year to just +-15,000 a year.

The last 12months has been a big focus on the failure of this and the delays in processing visas also didnt help, so as much as people were complaining to bring changes, it might have not been the outcome people were hoping for.

The NZ public seems to be in favour of the changes, althoughsome business are not as there is a lack of skills for some sectors, and now it will become even harder to bring skills in NZ.

The way the changes are being brought on is basically that - yes you welcome to come work here but you cant stay - obtaining residency is become so much harder now. A lot of people, i would guestimate at 80%, dont qualify for the 160 points to get residency through the pool system, (mostly due to lack of recognised qualifcations, age, etc.) so their only path to residancy was to get a work offer from an accredited company, that would lead to residency after 24months working for the company. No need to qualify for the 160 points. 

Although this is still possible, the criteria for this has become A LOT harder. One of these are the salary. The requirement has now been hiked from $55,000 pa to $79,560 p/a.

All companies also now have to become accredited to employ foreigners, and this along with the 40% increase in salary will mean most companies will elect not to. INZ want companies to up skill and train kiwis first.

The other big change is the skill shortage list - where most of the the list was for the entire NZ, this entire list will now become a regional list (like canada) and if you obtain a job via skill shotage list it will be limited to that area/city.

It is not all doom and gloom, as one change now allows lower skilled works to bring family with. Previously if your skill was on a certain level and you earned below a certain threshold, your visa could not support visas for your family. This is now allowed but again, it cant lead to residency.

Overall, I feel heartbroken for the guys thats currently in the process as NZ has closed the door almost completely for people that want to stay permanently.  :-\

All advisors are currently studying the new laws as to understand the way forward. Its a bitter/sweet day as the locals are mostly supporting the announcement while at the same time it chattered the dreams of others.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:35:33 pm by silvrav »

The following users thanked this post: pietas

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #711 on: September 17, 2019, 11:50:47 pm »
The 79k can't be that much of a hurdle?

An advanced beginner developer with 1 year experience earns that much (over here)

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:52:11 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #712 on: September 18, 2019, 12:22:37 am »
The 79k can't be that much of a hurdle?

An advanced beginner developer with 1 year experience earns that much (over here)

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Companies here like local experiance and a lot of people, me included have to drop 2 or 3 levels to just get in and work your way up again. Doesnt sound much but considering that and the costs now to get accredited makes it more attractive to grab someone new out of uni and train him up.

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #713 on: September 19, 2019, 02:18:13 pm »
So essentially there will only be one workers visa for immigrants when the changes to the system are complete? What I do not fully understand is the effect on the residence visa applications. Is the migrant residency visa process still the same with the EOI and points system? So you would look for work, apply for the new works visa and then follow the EOI route to residency (The path we were planning to follow)?

I suspect our process will now be delayed (Job hunting phase) while all the changes are implemented.
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #714 on: September 20, 2019, 07:21:38 am »
So essentially there will only be one workers visa for immigrants when the changes to the system are complete? What I do not fully understand is the effect on the residence visa applications. Is the migrant residency visa process still the same with the EOI and points system? So you would look for work, apply for the new works visa and then follow the EOI route to residency (The path we were planning to follow)?

I suspect our process will now be delayed (Job hunting phase) while all the changes are implemented.

It's a very difficult situation, especially for those in the process and those on the fence.

AFAIK, the changes are planned over an 18 month period and 3 phases. That's why its probably best to still get in if possible.

The biggest concern for everyone is the residency. They're not exactly clear what the requirements and pathway will be to residency once these changes are implemented.

We are incredibly lucky and blessed as we already applied for a talent visa and will not be affected by these changes.

Offline pietas

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gryskop seuntjie
« Reply #715 on: September 20, 2019, 07:25:08 am »
I would also like to know the answer to the residency question. In my case it would be through the long term skills list visa.

I would not make much sence to go for a work visa and having to return after 2 years
Groot berge en lang grond paaie

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #716 on: September 20, 2019, 11:04:02 am »
 a talent visa

What is that? I might have a talent that could get me in just don't know it!! :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline silvrav

« Reply #717 on: September 22, 2019, 10:15:41 pm »
@pietas for little is still known about the residency changes, so for now you still follow the normal route - get visa - get 160 pints - do expression of interest - get invited to apply and apply for residancy.

The only change to date that comes in effect 7 october is the accredited talent visa where the salary requiremnt has increased and they have taken away PR if you earned 90k plus - so you now have to go residency first then PR as with essential skills visa.

@ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS - yes, its a bit confusing as an accredited company's visa is also called a talent visa, but you also get a talent visa if you a muscian, or circus peformer or or or :p

The following users thanked this post: pietas

Offline silvrav

« Reply #718 on: September 22, 2019, 10:40:47 pm »
What a weekend  :xxbah: The boks, ai the boks - good 20mins and then all gone to hell. This morning however the debate in the office is strong with the disagreement with Jerome Garces, with even some kiwis agreeing he was very biased in his blowing of the whistle.  We can be lucky that we didnt get a yellow card and/or penalty try for Mapimpi's tackle. But the final score is the final score and we can just hope for a better outcome in the final  :thumleft:

Anyway the weekend, actually the entire week has been brilliant weather, its finally turning and spring is here! Saterday we did a bit of shopping and got a little TP tent for my sons room. He loves camping and we  use to use blankets to build forts. So this is perfect addition for his room.

We also spotted a good special for a Roomba vaccum cleaner - and when things here goes on last stock special its a special! marked down from $799 to $99  :o So grab the last one from the shelf and proceed to set it up at home. Now its not as smart as the newer ones that came out, and it doesnt map the house. It just randomly goes around using 9 different algorithms to pick a direction and vacuums.  We did a few test runs and it actually does a pretty good job over a few jobs. Its not there to replace the main vacuuming but it does keep the house more dust free and clean during the week  :thumleft: Just another tool to help us along.

Then saterday my wife had a girls night out and my son and I was invited to Roan (one of my new fishing buddies) to watch the rugby. He also has a 3 year old son so it was perfect kuier time as the 2 played for hours without needing adult entertainment  :peepwall: at about 21h30 just before the kick off of the NZvsSA game, my lightie decided its bed time. So got his blanky and pillow from the car and we made him a nice little bed in one of the rooms. My son is a hard sleeper as well so the shouting and screaming didnt bug him at all. Overall it was a great kuier with some new friends over a braai and rugby!

I also made some more bilting but need to start planning to build a bigger case as I am getting more and more queries on if I would sell. - Now that I am a resident and not restricted to one company to work for, its something i can do - just need to start planning it.

20190914-085334" border="0
20190912-145220" border="0
20190912-145226" border="0

Rugby and play time
IMG-20190920-WA0014" border="0
IMG-20190921-WA0027" border="0
IMG-20190921-WA0019" border="0

Also made some more biltong - this time I cut it myself as the butchers here are very inconsistent.
IMG-20190921-WA0014" border="0
IMG-20190922-WA0002" border="0
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:47:35 pm by silvrav »

Online BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #719 on: September 23, 2019, 12:11:51 pm »
The billing is Looking good.
Its great that you have a mate with the same age kids.
We have footy finals madness in Melbourne at the moment so thatís all the conversations are about here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z