Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha MT09 Tracer GT  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: Yamaha MT09 Tracer GT
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:50 am »
OK, enjoy  :thumleft:

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 05:12:25 am »
A wise man once said that on matters of taste there are no disputes. :lol8:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 03:55:48 pm »
Dwerg, nuwe Z900 rs?

Die naweek een in vlees gesien dit is vrek mooi. Lekker groot comfy seat.
Dink hulle by die 165ish..
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
Dwerg, nuwe Z900 rs?

Die naweek een in vlees gesien dit is vrek mooi. Lekker groot comfy seat.
Dink hulle by die 165ish..

Vir R165000 soek ek vir my n 1973 Z900...... :drif: :drif:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2019, 11:34:56 am »
Rode the 09 Tracer again this morning. I actually went to ride the 07 Tracer but they didnít have a demo. Glad actually because that tripple is just something else. What a great bike!
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 11:53:43 am »
One of my favourite bikes is getting an update. Fully adjustable suspension, TFT dash, cruise control, heated grips, quickshifter

Can I ask why is it your favourite bike? Have you ridden one - I mean Tracer 09, not necessarily this newest version?

Just curious, because I had rented one last summer (that would be August - I'm from Europe) in Europe for two weeks, most of which I spent carving the twisties in the Alps. And I have to say it has the shittiest ergonomy I every experienced on a bike. And I don't even normally perceive ergonomy - I noticed it here only because it was so bad and bothered me for the duration of the trip. The bike is kind of big, and not in a good way (I have ridden 100k km on 1150 GSA and then more on other really big bikes, so can compare). To be fair, the only objective of my trip was to clean the chicken strips on the new tyres by spending about 90 % of time leaned over the Alpine curves, and the bike is probably not the best tool for that. But still - it is too long which I guess adds to stability and did hinder me in curves a bit, but more importantly, the handlebars distance to seat was way too much and I had to be stretched like a monkey over the tank to keep good feel for the front end so important in cornering and sport riding. Also, the handlebars were stupidly wide - that would be fine on big Adv bike like 1150, but here in combination with weird seat to handlebars distance it was just silly.

Also there is no natural position on the bike, the seat is too long or something and you can find yourself sitting in infinite number of positions, none of which seems to feel like natural default.

The second main gripe with the bike - and admitedly this is fully on me - is what I perceived as very annoying tripple engine. And yes, it's me - all my bikes currently are singles, and the maximum number of cylinders I would ever go on my bike is two. I am basically torque rider and this thing with its infinite spectrum of revs  where one gets lost so easily (as one gets lost on that seat with infinite number of siting positions available) is just not for me. It works properly from about 5 - 6 k/min or some such upwards. It goes smoothly lower than that, but there is just no oomph so one has to constantly keep it up in revs to really enjoy it (and also the fuelling wasn't best). I eventually got used to it at about day 5 (after I started wearing earplugs so the wound up engine didn't bother me anymore sublimaly), but quite frankly I would have much preferred Tracer MT07, which I had used for the prior two weeks. In fact, after first 20 km on the 09 I called the rental agency and asked if I can come back and switch, but they didn't have any 07 available.

That Tracer 07 is much cheaper, and crapier components (especially suspension, that is just joke), and of course much less powerfull, but soooo much more fun in the twisties (on good tar only though).

Not hating on this thing, just curious why people find this bike so good. I just don't get the combination of sporty engine that needs to be reved, with long extremely stable suspension that doesn't want to turn very much. Granted, I have very limited experience with this kind of bikes (anything with tripple or 4-cyl), and my natural preference is torque, but still, I couldn't believe how much better the cheap ass Tracer 07 worked for me.

Just shows you, for one that criticises the T7 for lack of suspension, this aspect of a bike can so easily be completely overrated.

Look, there, on a bike of which the suspension is a joke, you had immense fun in the twisties.

One would be excused for thinking that sort of thing is impossible, hey?

Go watch the road test videos on all the variants of the CP-2 engine, and they all think opposite to you. ;)

Offline Offroadrider

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2019, 08:11:20 pm »
I'm starting to pick up a pattern with Xpat's opinions on Yamaha's.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2019, 08:59:36 pm »
I'm starting to pick up a pattern with Xpat's opinions on Yamaha's.

:thumleft: