Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Damp farm road = super slippery  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
Damp farm road = super slippery
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:58:56 am »
I did a little solo ride on Tuesday, headed out to Val.    Started off great, some beautiful smooth fast dirt highway just past Henley over the hills there.

I then got closer to the N3 by Grootvlei and the bike started moving around a bunch under me. The road looked perfectly smooth and flat and dry but the bike was all over the place. I thought I'd suddenly completely forgotten how to ride.

Once I stopped I realised that a bit of rain the night before had turned the top layer of the road into this very soft, airy mud.  It looked nice and solid but only when I stepped off the bike I realised it was very soft.

Anyone experienced this before?  Could've been a bit interesting hitting it at speed.  I was alone so wasn't pushing it at all.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • View Profile
    • Good Dog Computers
Re: Damp farm road = super slippery
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:06:35 am »
I had it on my 990 not so long ago around the Jericho Rock neck of the woods. Farm sprinklers had just dampened the top layer of dirt. The mud filled the Scorpions' tread pretty quickly, followed by a layer of dry sand. I was basically riding on a dirt road with slicks coated in loose sand. Felt like I was riding on ice for a short while.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Ouman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:46:13 am »
It is normally the gravel that is super dusty when dry that does this! The dust layer on top is as fine as baby powder and just a small amount of moisture turns this into a snot pool!
The more bugs in the  teeth....the happier I get!!!!!

Offline Nev

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:09:30 am »
Bliksemed off like that once, came off the dirt on to tar, instead of turning right, shot straight across the road into the fence on the other side.

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:21 am »
I rode my 1190 about 12km on roads like that, had my feet out as outriggers to keep the bike upright. It would spin at idle in first gear if there was even a slight incline.

I remember thinking that I finally understood the reason people buy and like quads.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:15:10 am »

I remember thinking that I finally understood the reason people buy and like quads.

:laughing4:

Yeah it wasn't quite as bad as that but just surprising because it looked so normal haha.  I think trail tyres might have been a different story though.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 11:50:59 am »
I used to work at a Silica Mine outside Delmas close to redstar raceway and if it rained you would end up riding almost sideways for the 10km back to the highway, the rear tyre would slide down the camber of the road, was very unnerving the first few times, at least it was flat.
2005 Fugly
Painted Matt Black with Stonechip
Doohickey
F1X exhaust
HID light Givi Crash bars Bash plate Heated Grips  Tool Tube Big foot pegs

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 08:36:09 pm »

Yeah it wasn't quite as bad as that but just surprising because it looked so normal haha.  I think trail tyres might have been a different story though.
Thats where things get dodgy, if the mud is sticky and you ride slowly it sticks to the tire giving you super extra lubrication with mud sliding across mud, I found it slightly worse with a knobbie. If you ride faster the mud flings off and the tire works, in theory at least...
XR650R the one and only

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 08:21:08 am »

Thats where things get dodgy, if the mud is sticky and you ride slowly it sticks to the tire giving you super extra lubrication with mud sliding across mud, I found it slightly worse with a knobbie. If you ride faster the mud flings off and the tire works, in theory at least...

Just requires the balls I guess.

Being alone, I was rather gonna take it easy, and even walk it if it got worse.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 05:49:50 pm »

Just requires the balls I guess.

Being alone, I was rather gonna take it easy, and even walk it if it got worse.
Yeah I have never tried riding fast on slippery mud, so I just hear the theories and they make sense.

But when the tire meets the mud I am afraid.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Imran

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 01:46:25 pm »
Hi Stu,

Sounds like the last time we rode together!

Lessons learnt all the time ;)

Offline Roadhawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »
Hi Stu,

Sounds like the last time we rode together!

Lessons learnt all the time ;)

Haha shit yeh man.   That was such an unfortunate slip man.

This was weird in that the road looked completely dry but the whole thing was pretty uniformly mushy, and slippery....It just didn't look like it.   I think I might go back out that way soon now that it's been dry for a while haha
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Jannie46

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 02:27:48 pm »
Avoid first gear. Second or third gear will take you forward quite stable, but keep it slow.