Short trip up Sani

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I needed to travel to Howick on Saturday night, so I detoured via Sani for the trip home. I haven't ridden up Sani since November 2015 - before that I was riding or driving up at least once a year from 2012. I actually havent ridden my bike at all since February last year!  :eek: So last week I busied myself fixing wiring, checking and greasing everything else, eventually gave up on the right front indicator, the fitting completely rusted (as has pretty much everything else that isn't aluminim or plastic!!)

Saturday was a rushed ride out to Howick late afternoon, so nothing exciting to share. Everyone should ride the N3 at night at least once! I noticed it gets rather chilly when the sun sets and you;re away from the coast!

Sunday morning I rode out through Loteni. Looking rather dry, but autumn colours starting. Rather more tar than I remember...

The start of the gravel! Was a later start from howick than I hoped, only got here about 11am

The road to the border post has extensive road works, road crews where working on Sunday, some stop-go areas, and generally an easy ride, in best condition its been in on any of my rides. Just a few rocky areas in the last km which didn't challenge a bike, but seemed to slow the cars somewhat.

Arrived at a lonely border post

The pass:
On previous trips the pass was dotted with road working vehicles. these have now all moved down to the border post road. and the pass has deteriorated somewhat. That may be a little understated... Although the switchbacks at the top still benefit from being widened in previous years, the entire switchback area and a large section near the first river crossing and following hill is covered with baby-head sized rocks. Being a little not bike fit made it a tiring climb. So didn't stop for many photos, other than one at the first riverbed.

I did carry my trusty Mavic in backpack up the pass. Stopped half way up for a 360 degree photo. You can zoom in and see my tiny bike straight down.

The Mavic has a max altitude of 500m above take off point. (and horizontal range of about 5km). 500m up was not enough to fly it to the top of the pass!

https://viewer.hangar.com/360?assetId=/VrP2559Y

A few minutes and several switch backs later, arrived at the top of the pass. Was a pretty challenging ride up, compared to previous time I rode it. Bike enjyerd hanging with the goats while I did customs.

And another 360 photo from the top

https://viewer.hangar.com/360?assetId=/m0Elpp4r

The pass looks so much smoother from the air! Must be the light, just after midday, no shadows!

Waited a long time for a mediocre lunch at the lodge, was very filling though, and got stuck behind a very slow moving, zigzagging taxi on the switch backs. Adopted a stop, turn off and admire the view policy, waited for it to pass the next corner, then caught up, until an opportunity presented to pass it.

And back at the bottom mid-afternoon

May not be a pretty bike anymore, but it's a hard worker! (And it's paid for!!!)

The trip back ended with the last 100km in the dark, which isn;t pleasant with all the pedestrians and vehicles without lights scattering the roads in the rural south KZN towns.

All in all, a fun outing!