Dreaming in the wind ....Solo from Somerset West to Augrabies Falls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxwain

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So I decided to write another ride report. I’ll call this one “Dreaming in the wind”
It’s not going to be of any interest to XPAT or Kamanya or any of the other riding Gods on Wild dogs as there is very little dirt road involved, and no manly feats of daring do. In fact the only dirt road was the Cedarburg from Clanwilliam to Ceres. But I digress ….so pull up your popcorn and join me on a solo from Somerset West to Augrabies Falls.
It started a couple of years ago, when I missed the 1150 bash at Augrabies, due to ill health. I got the tee shirt, but never felt the right to wear it as I hadn’t done the ride. I had also sold my original 1150 and prostituted myself to some lesser brands …Yamaha…. (That should get 2SD, s dander up….only kidding. I enjoyed my XT’s but never really bonded with them. 
I ended up with my latest 1150 and felt the need to take her on a long trip to test her out, for those that don’t know; she was a basket case rebuild that I did myself. I also needed to earn the right to wear the Tee shirt. 
So it was on a miserable wet Wednesday morning that I set out from Somerset West, and headed for Eurabbies. My old girl was fully loaded and humming like a sewing machine as we swung through Stellenbosch and headed for Malmsbury. The clouds were hanging low and the wind was blowing, but I had the music turned up loud and life was good.
I had booked the first nights camping site at Rondeberg Resort which is 15km past Clanwilliam. I arrived there at 2.30 in the afternoon. On arrival, the manager of the place and I had a chat. I had booked a waterside camp site, but the manager warned me that a serious storm was brewing, and I might want to move to the “luxury” camp site at no extra charge. Was I glad that I did, because that night the heavens opened and the wind howled? I must explain what the Luxury camp site is. Basically what you get is a unit with a bathroom, toilet and shower, a small covered patio with a built in braai , fridge  and some shelves, Also a piece of grass to pitch your tent on. Very nice arrangement for a solo biker, as you can lock your kit in the bathroom. It was spotlessly clean and very neat. I decided not to pitch my tent, so I blew up my matrass and prepared to sleep on the covered patio.
I did a food and booze run into Clanwilliam and picked up a couple of chops and a bottle of medicinal whiskey, and prepared myself for a cold miserable night ahead. Well as I said, it poured down and the wind howled, but, I was as dry as a bone. A few rude whiskies soon got me into party mode and I bopped and jived to an audience of 10 cats that had joined me. It was such a good night!!!
Next morning I woke up, and my neighbours who were an elderly couple in a caravan, sneaked a peek to see if I was still alive. They invited me over for coffee and rusks for which I will be forever grateful. Such nice people, we sat and chatted for a couple of hours, till the rain stopped, then I was on my way.
I highly recommend Rondeberg Resort as a stop over. It’s a beautiful place, very well kept and very reasonably priced. They have a little shop and they sell fire wood.  I will definitely go back. 
Next stop Springbok …….. 
The clouds had cleared and it was turning into a beautiful day. Perfect day to be dreaming in the wind. Suddenly I was in Springbok …I don’t know where the time went, but I was quite resentful that the ride had ended so soon. I enquired at the local information office about a place to camp and they were very helpful …10/10 for the Springbok information office. I ended up at the Springbok Caravan park, where I received a warm welcome. The place was almost empty with only one caravan and myself camping. This was bliss. I pitched my tent and settled down to a quiet braai and a whisky …..then the peace was shattered.
A crowd arrived with a monster caravan, 5 screaming kids and decided to park right next to me ….I mean the whole park was empty …but they have to choose the site right next to me. One of the young kids kept kicking a soccer ball against my bike, which really started to annoy me. Eventually he came over and started chatting. He told me the family were there for the drag racing the next day and that all his uncles and cousins where on the way from Joburg and would be arriving that night. I felt my stomach sink …It was going to be a long rough night. There was lots of shouting and raucous laughter going on, and I wondered how long it would be before I blew my stack.
At about six thirty, the couple from the other caravan in the park came wondering up. “We’ve come to move your tent.”  I flung myself sobbing at their feet in gratitude. ….well not quite …but you know what I mean. We quickly packed up my stuff and they moved me down next to them. We spent the night chatting and quaffing red wine and had a great evening. Next morning I was awoken to a superb bacon and egg breakfast. Paul and Sheryl I will be forever in you debt. And so I made two new friends, the weather was good, the ole girl was humming and on I went to Augrabies.
Springbok Caravan Park was OK ish, It was cheap but the ablutions could have been better. It has a good view, but is close to a main road so there is a lot of traffic noise at night. Of course the arseholes practising for the next day didn’t help. 
The stretch of road between Springbok and Pofadder is very bland, but you sure get the feeling of wide open spaces. Stopped at Pofadder for the obligatory picture and was mobbed by street kids looking for a hand out. Got the hell out as quickly as possible, Which is a pity, I would have liked to stay a while and soak up some of the culture. But you daren’t leave your bike unattended and those kids become quite agro.

Next instalment to follow…

Attachments

• IMG-20180421-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180421-WA0005.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG-20180425-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180425-WA0009.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG-20180425-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20180425-WA0014.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG-20180425-WA0020.jpg