Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Twin Fork issue - Honda SA ... Now what ...  (Read 9598 times)

Offline Katoomski

Re: Africa Twin - Honda SA ... Now what ...
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 08:51:56 am »
Factory damage would have leaked from day 1.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 09:03:22 am »
Woohoo, ek koop sommer 2
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Catchy

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 09:05:31 am »
Very unfortunate that your ride had to come to an end like this. A stone chip in the stanchion could however caused something like this, has the cause of the leak been identified?
I too have had and still do have serious fork issues with my bike. Honda Zambezi  have had the them apart twice already and still the problem persists. After the second disassembly, locally made bushes were fitted to solve the problem, this to a bike still under warranty? This did however solve the problem, but only for the next 2000Km. At this stage my patience is also starting to run out as the lack of communication is to say the least very disappointing.
To date I have refrained from raising the issue here, giving Honda a fair chance to deal with it. My biggest problem is after direct contact with top management and even one of their "Brand Ambassadors" who I am still waiting to call me back since September 2017, I still don't know were I stand in terms of getting my bike fixed.

It is sad to see the reputation of such a great bike and brand get tarnished by such a minor issue when looked at in the bigger scheme of things. My Twin is now on 310000Km 31000Km and has been by far the best bike I have ever owned in terms of problem free ownership, but compared to my 2013 KTM 1190R that had several faulty parts replaced under warranty Honda SA to date have fallen short in terms of aftersales support.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:43:09 am by Catchy »
Always keep your "kant" clean !

Offline windswept

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 09:39:20 am »
Very unfortunate that your ride had to come to an end like this. A stone chip in the stanchion could however caused something like this, has the cause of the leak been identified?
I too have had and still do have serious fork issues with my bike. Honda Zambezi  have had the them apart twice already and still the problem persists. After the second disassembly, locally made bushes were fitted to solve the problem, this to a bike still under warranty? This did however solve the problem, but only for the next 2000Km. At this stage my patience is also starting to run out as the lack of communication is to say the least very disappointing.
To date I have refrained from raising the issue here, giving Honda a fair chance to deal with it. My biggest problem is after direct contact with top management and even one of their "Brand Ambassadors" who I am still waiting to call me back since September 2017, I still don't know were I stand in terms of getting my bike fixed.

It is sad to see the reputation of such a great bike and brand get tarnished by such a minor issue when looked at in the bigger scheme of things. My Twin is now on 310000Km and has been by far the best bike I have ever owned in terms of problem free ownership, but compared to my 2013 KTM 1190R that had several faulty parts replaced under warranty Honda SA to date have fallen short in terms of aftersales support.

One zero too many. :thumleft:

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 09:55:35 am »
Comment from a experienced AT rider:

"I took my bike to Hilton Hayward, he is an ex KTM Factory suspension setup wizard. His workshop is near Broederstroom. He did both the front and back. On the front he replaced all the internals and oil (he says the stock components are very low quality, awful really) and he replaced the spring and adjusted settings on the back"

At 8K it is expensive but maybe worth doing over the long run.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 09:59:25 am »
 On the front he replaced all the internals

Does not help at all as it leaks on the outside, it is still the same stanchions.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline armpump

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 10:12:05 am »
Try skf seals next time you fit

Watch from 1:23

Offline Rider39

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 10:12:38 am »
First off, thanks to XRRX for taking my plight up on this forum and to Skolla who tried to remedy the situation in Phillipolis nogal :P :o >
My bike has never seen any form of abuse, at all. Had only done 10300km at the time of the incident.
The day before I did around 150km through the worst mud and rain conditions I have ever experienced. On the day of the incident, all 3 of us went through a washed out ditch across the gravel road.
I subsequently found out on overseas rider groups that riding muddy conditions is known to cause this kind of damage on the AT.

There are no stone or and other form of damage notable on the stantion, which had turned "blue". According a Honda mechanic in Umhlanga, as a result of no oil.
Bike was service at 1000 km.
One does not expect this from a R170 000 worth bike, supposedly designed and built to "conquer" the world.

Problem is: at the time of incident, it was 20 days out of warranty. :deal: :sip:
Feedback from HondaSA: Sorry, warranty has expired. Nothing else.

Lessons learned by me:
Check your warranty book and make sure your salesperson has completed it properly and service strictly accordingly. I did not service every 12 months, because my salesman did not complete that part of the warranty card. I believe this played a big part in HondaSA rejecting the claim.

I submitted the claim against odds, hoping for a "in good faith" repair.

Contemplating if its worth escalating the matter. :-\ :-\.

Thanks for the support chaps.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 10:20:06 am »
Problem is: at the time of incident, it was 20 days out of warranty.

If they wanted to possibly sell another Honda to you in future they should have honored your claim. :deal:
You would have written a good story about it and maybe a few more ATs would have been sold because of it.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline volroom

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 10:23:30 am »
Comment from a experienced AT rider:

"I took my bike to Hilton Hayward, he is an ex KTM Factory suspension setup wizard. His workshop is near Broederstroom. He did both the front and back. On the front he replaced all the internals and oil (he says the stock components are very low quality, awful really) and he replaced the spring and adjusted settings on the back"

At 8K it is expensive but maybe worth doing over the long run.
This is not something you'd expect from Honda. Period
2003 R1150GS

Offline volroom

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 10:26:19 am »
First off, thanks to XRRX for taking my plight up on this forum and to Skolla who tried to remedy the situation in Phillipolis nogal :P :o >
My bike has never seen any form of abuse, at all. Had only done 10300km at the time of the incident.
The day before I did around 150km through the worst mud and rain conditions I have ever experienced. On the day of the incident, all 3 of us went through a washed out ditch across the gravel road.
I subsequently found out on overseas rider groups that riding muddy conditions is known to cause this kind of damage on the AT.

There are no stone or and other form of damage notable on the stantion, which had turned "blue". According a Honda mechanic in Umhlanga, as a result of no oil.
One does not expect this from a R170 000 worth bike, supposedly designed and built to "conquer" the world.

Problem is: at the time of incident, it was 20 days out of warranty. :deal: :sip:

Lessons learned by me:
Check your warranty book and make sure your salesperson has completed it properly and service strictly accordingly. I did not service every 12 months, because my salesman did not complete that part of the warranty card. I believe this played a big part in HondaSA rejecting the claim.

Honda after sales service is not known for their awesomeness, from what I've heard. I say use social media as others have done. time for them to own up..
2003 R1150GS

Offline armpump

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:22 am »

Lessons learned by me:

I had a seal leak on our roof tour in nov last year (rain,mud,snow)

Once we got to lodge i made a plan and cut my own seal mate out of some thin plastic and went about cleaning dirt out from under seal.

It cured 90% of the leak and managed to ride back with minimal fluid loss.

Went out and got a seal doctor and gave it a good clean and im'still riidng on same seals 5000km later.

Point im making is be aware shit happens and "fix" problem before it gets out of control.

In fact i cleaned them last night again as im a firm believer in prevention is better than cure.

Offline Kelevra

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 10:29:41 am »
I am not sure I get this. Bike got damaged, shock seal/stantion, out of warranty and they do not want to fix it for free and now Honda is kak?   
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

Offline volroom

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:42 am »
I am not sure I get this. Bike got damaged, shock seal/stantion, out of warranty and they do not want to fix it for free and now Honda is kak?

yes. considering the whole story, Honda should help out. Other bike brands do, because that is one of the ways you keep people be faithful to your brand. this is one of the big reasons BMW has done so well in the past, I believe

for one, a big reason people spend money to buy Honda bikes is reliability. Honda has has that reputation for ages. So, typically the risk averse type feels safer buying a Honda. and now this happens. You bet Honda needs to explain, and help out
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:37:35 am by volroom »
2003 R1150GS

Offline armpump

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:39 am »
Notice very fine "dust" grit

Offline Kuifie

• Brandslang Koning
  • Race Dog
  • Ek Laaik Ry
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:56 am »
In a nutshell "Is honda nou kak of nie"?
"If the left side of your brain control the right side of your body, only left handed people are in the right mind"

Offline armpump

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 10:59:38 am »

yes. considering the whole story, Honda should help out. Other bike brands do, because that is one of the ways you keep people be faithful to your brand. this is one of the big reasons BMW has done so well in the past, I believe

for one, a big reason people spend money to buy Honda bikes is reliability. Honda has has that reputation for ages. So, typically the risk averse type feels safer buying a Honda. and now this happens. You bet Honda needs to explain, and help out

Do not agree at all.

Fork seal is wear and tear part.......... fix it and move on.

Offline RobLH

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:55 am »
"Lessons learned by me:
Check your warranty book and make sure your salesperson has completed it properly and service strictly accordingly. I did not service every 12 months, because my salesman did not complete that part of the warranty card. I believe this played a big part in HondaSA rejecting the claim."

Rider39,

I think your assessment here might be correct, you have missed the first yearly service so your warranty has become void, regardless of it being two months over the official 2 year warranty period.

FWIW I mentioned in a previous post that I had both fork seals repaired under warranty, and the dealer was Honda Umhlanga, the same guys who turned down your claim (I say this loosely as it was naturally Honda SA who didn't authorise the warranty claim - Umhlanga was just the messenger). The obvious difference in our cases was that my warranty was intact.

Personally I'd be very surprised if Honda SA came to the party, but stranger things have happened. Depending on costs to fix I'd make a plea to the DP at Honda Umhlanga directly for a discount due to the fact that his salesman hadn't pointed out the warranty conditions. Even then I'm not sure of your chances, but this is a far more reasonable call in my view.

Good luck either way.

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 11:14:08 am »
Notice very fine "dust" grit

armpump, where did you buy that fork seal cleaning gadget?

Offline armpump

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 11:42:26 am »
Think it was EMD in centurion but most bike shops should have them.