Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Twin Fork issue - Honda SA ... Now what ...  (Read 9595 times)

Offline XRRX

Re: Africa Twin Fork issue - Honda SA ... Now what ...
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »
I don't belief Rider 39 is after "Honda's money" !!!

He got genuine Honda parts from Honda Central as well as approved oil, and paid some good money for it!!

Yes, there is lots of "escape routes" for them in this case - since we've tried to repair the shock outselves...
Maybe they would have preferred him to risk his life over 200km to the nearest dealer - with a bike unloading all it's fork oil on the front brakes!!! ...f@#k !!!

In 30yrs of biking I've seen many fork seals leak - yes - normal wear and tear... But I've never seen a shock basically exploding like this one - period!!!

And it seems to be only one of many many cases...

So - for the wise guys here - what would you do... You have a 170k bike in your garage with 10 000odd kays on the clock - but with only half of its front suspension ....
Where do you start?
Do you have to buy a new shock now?
At what cost?
How long will it last this time around?

My 2.5 cents...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
I don't belief Rider 39 is after "Honda's money" !!!

He got genuine Honda parts from Honda Central as well as approved oil, and paid some good money for it!!

Yes, there is lots of "escape routes" for them in this case - since we've tried to repair the shock outselves...
Maybe they would have preferred him to risk his life over 200km to the nearest dealer - with a bike unloading all it's fork oil on the front brakes!!! ...f@#k !!!

In 30yrs of biking I've seen many fork seals leak - yes - normal wear and tear... But I've never seen a shock basically exploding like this one - period!!!

And it seems to be only one of many many cases...

So - for the wise guys here - what would you do... You have a 170k bike in your garage with 10 000odd kays on the clock - but with only half of its front suspension ....
Where do you start?
Do you have to buy a new shock now?
At what cost?
How long will it last this time around?

My 2.5 cents...

KTM riders feel your pain.

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »
The 2018's have a new part number for the fork upper (51410-MKK-D10) but its not available for sale as replacement parts yet.  Honda has made changes to it (mainly Kashima coating). They might actually have solved some of the issues, but its early days.  But it wont help your friend at this point.

The following users thanked this post: Ian in Great Brak River, volroom

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:36 pm »
So odd that something so simple as a fork can be engineered so badly ..... this is not rocket science. These things have been around for years now. Even Honda (used to) know how to make forks.

A very simple design that doesn't need improving but I suppose the newly qualified engineers have to do something perceived as useful.

Anyways, good luck on your quest ......  :thumleft:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline armpump

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 05:58:32 am »
What has Showa said about "issue" ?

Offline volroom

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 06:54:54 am »
I dont know how Honda did adventure riding testing and decided to fit suspension for a 84kg load, incl luggage! This from the article posted earlier.

I assume that with the 2018 forks, the fork internal were also changed? Seems people are saying its a lot less likely to bottom out
2003 R1150GS

Offline volroom

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 06:56:23 am »
What has Showa said about "issue" ?

yeah...its more Showa than Honda that is responsible maybe
2003 R1150GS

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 07:06:05 am »
Honda would qc any component weather in house or from a subie. Honda are complicid.

Pass this way once!

Offline armpump

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
Check this reply on adv :

"The issue is that the fork tubes flex too much, and things come into contact. It's accelerated by overtightened lower pinch bolts a little, but the main issue is flexing of the tubes on a heavy bike.

It's aggravated by the upper bushing being too low on the lower leg. There are band aids to fix/prevent the tube damage, they are known, and they work to varying degrees depending on just how hard the bike is ridden.

But, the fact remains that it's a fork that moves around too much.

This from folks that build suspension every work day. Folks that email back and forth to Honda.

They KNOW what's going on, they've tested it. They have fixes, they've tested those.

This shop has done several hundred fork pairs for the AT at this point, and he's gone from thinking it was looking like a 40% failure rate to closer to 100% will EVENTUALLY have the issue.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 11:04:39 am »
 :o :o

It seems Honda is in deep sh&t here!
Given the number of AT's sold - it is going to cost them zillions to fix them...  :'(

The longer they ignore and/or deny the issue  - the more damage they're going to suffer!!
It will be sad to see these otherwise great bikes standing around in showrooms all over the world at reduced prices - yet nobody wants to take the chance of buying one ...

... let's not even speak about re-sale value ...  :deal:

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2018, 12:08:14 pm »
Fark.
I am going to watch this thread with interest
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2018, 03:22:25 pm »
So now we know why Honda was selling them so cheap lately... .coz they are.

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2018, 04:10:56 pm »
Think it was EMD in centurion but most bike shops should have them.
Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline Rider39

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2018, 04:26:08 pm »
Chaps,
I am overwhelmed by the support, thanks for the advice and input. It has served to strengthen my resolve to escalate this to both Honda SA as well as Showa.

I am not saying Honda is K%K, only that their after sales service sucks big time compared to other brands. Notably BMW.
Also not after their money. I have bought 2 sets of seals and oil from Honda Bloemfontein. I had no choice as I had no other way of getting the bike back home.

I will certainly invest in a fork/stantion cleaner of some sorts.

Once again, not one of us expect our fork seals to go bust after just 10300 km. Whatever bike brand we choose to ride.
I believe HONDA should own up and at least meet me halfway with rectifying my problem; which is not an isolated incident but have been reported from Hondaa AT owners worldwide.
And to think that I am actually seriously considering an upgrade to the Adventure model!!! :dousing: :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

Offline volroom

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »
Chaps,
I am overwhelmed by the support, thanks for the advice and input. It has served to strengthen my resolve to escalate this to both Honda SA as well as Showa.

I am not saying Honda is K%K, only that their after sales service sucks big time compared to other brands. Notably BMW.
Also not after their money. I have bought 2 sets of seals and oil from Honda Bloemfontein. I had no choice as I had no other way of getting the bike back home.

I will certainly invest in a fork/stantion cleaner of some sorts.

Once again, not one of us expect our fork seals to go bust after just 10300 km. Whatever bike brand we choose to ride.
I believe HONDA should own up and at least meet me halfway with rectifying my problem; which is not an isolated incident but have been reported from Hondaa AT owners worldwide.
And to think that I am actually seriously considering an upgrade to the Adventure model!!! :dousing: :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

pull out all the stops, escalate and keep this thread going
 :thumleft:
2003 R1150GS

Offline Tampan

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2018, 05:10:48 pm »
I dont know how Honda did adventure riding testing and decided to fit suspension for a 84kg load, incl luggage! This from the article posted earlier ...

They probably used Japanese riders. They’re not very large, in general.  :biggrin:

Offline volroom

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »
I dont know how Honda did adventure riding testing and decided to fit suspension for a 84kg load, incl luggage! This from the article posted earlier ...

They probably used Japanese riders. They’re not very large, in general.  :biggrin:

that is also what I thought, but they had to think a little bit outside of Japan with a bike like the AT.. anyways
2003 R1150GS

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2018, 08:08:56 pm »
Interesting to see the open-mouthed surprise at an issue from one of the Jap four.

Honda will have to jump to do damage-control.

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 10:04:26 am »
Niks nuut van Honda se kant nie,

Ek self is Honda fan en dink die AT is 'n great bike maar het al self 'n stel met Honda SA af getrap.

Ek het nog my XRV 750 gehad en koop toe 'n 700 TA (nuut) by hom, toe ek eendag die ketting lube sien ek dat die ketting is foutief, nog nie eers 300 km gedoen nie maar van die O-rings is weg en ek aanvaar dit is maar 'n swak batch en dit maak ook nie die bike swak nie want Honda vervaardig mos nie hulle eie kettings nie.

Vat die fiets na die handelaar waar ek hom gekoop het en hulle sit 'n claim in, Honda SA reply jammer dit is nie 'n waranty nie en my eie probleem. Die handelaar aanvaar dit nie want dit 's 'n nuwe fiets en sit die claim weer in maar Honda SA keer die eis weer af. Die handelaar wat ook oortuig was dat dit 'n waranty is het toe die ketting op hulle koste vervang.

My opinie, Honda is 'n great produk maar as dit by waranty en pa staan kom dan staan hulle terug.

My ondervinding met Yamaha aan die anderkant,

Yamaha het ook 'n twee jaar unlimited km waarborg, Ek gaan doen 'n trip in Mosambiek en trailer my vorige S10 tot op Nelspruit, een van die tie down straps raak aan 'n side cover op die engine, die persoon wat my help laai het plak toe sommer 'n stuk tape op die engine om te verhoed dat die verf skaaf, toe ons in Nst die bikes af laai sien ek dit en trek die tape af wat dalk ook meer 'n af pluk is want ons is haastig en so kom daar 'n klein stukkie verf saam af. Ek aanvaar dit so want dit is mos ons eie onoselheid en dit is in elk geval so klein dat dit my nie pla nie.

Terug by die huis stop ek eendag weer by my Yamaha handelaar en oms staan by die fiets en gesels oor dit en dat, ek maak toe 'n grap en sę kyk hoe swak is die verf op die en dat dit sommer net af dop. Die handelaar vra my toe wat het gebeur en ek vertel hom presies van die tape en dalk te vinnig af pluk en dat dit my eie stupid fout is.

Die handelaar sę toe maar kom ons sit 'n claim in en kyk wat Yamaha sę. Ek laat weet toe dit is onodig en ek aanvaar dit as my eie fout en die fiets is toe alreeds omtrent agt maande uit waarborg en staan op amper 40 000 km. Maar so neem die handelaar 'n foto van die cover en gee dit deur aan Yamaha en beskryf presies wat gebeur het.

So is ek daar weg en dink by myself die handelaar mors sy tyd want dit is regtig 'n klein stukkie verf, die fiets is al lankal uit waarborg, km staan al amper op 40k en dit is mos my eie fout. Maar groot was my verbasing toe die handelaar my die middag terug bel en laat weet die cover sal die volgende dag by hom wees en ek my fiets kan inbring dat hulle hom kan vervang. Ek vra toe wat die koste sal wees want ek voel dit is my fout en die fiets is reeds uit waarborg waarop die handelaar my antwoord, dit is onder waarborg en kos my niks, Yamaha Sa het net laat weet ons nie weer tape moet plak nie want somige gom vorm 'n chemiese reaksie op verf maar ook dat die verf nie veronderstel is om af te kom nie.

Dit tel vir my nogal baie punte, dit wat ek aanvaar as my eie fout op 'n fiets met amper 40k km op en al lank uit waarborg is word gecover onder waarborg.

Die Honda wat nog nie eers 300 km gedoen het nie, die oorsaak niks met my te doen het nie en die koste van herstel veel minder as op die Yamaha was word af gekeer deur Honda, dit laat 'n bitter smaak in my mond en sal my twee keer laat dink voor ek weer 'n Honda sal koop alhoewel dit 'n goeie produk is.

Ek probeer nie brand bashing doen of myne is beter as joune doen met die post nie, maar dit is 'n feit dat Honda 'n baie goeie produk is maar hulle waranty en back-up uiters swak is.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:09:51 am by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline XRRX

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:29 am »
On a lighter note ...

The majority of the new AT seems excellent!!! ... circled in Red !!  ;)