Africa Twin Fork issue - Honda SA ... Now what ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Yes, call this social media pressure; black-mailing or whatever the f%%% you want to call it - but I'm really really really "piss&ed off with Honda" !!!  :xxbah:
AND I HAVE PERSONALLY DEFEND THEIR HONOUR IN THE PAST - I was even banned on their behalf - AS MANY "CRITICS"  here WILL KNOW!  ::)

Here's the story in my best "short-hand":

Old friend - "Rider 39", myself and Skolla decided to meet up for some sort of reunion in Aliwal North of all places...  ::)
We were all spot-on for the opening of the heaven's in the Northern Cape/Southern Freestate State!!!  :eek: :eek: ... it p%ss#d with rain ...
We got together late at night in Aliwal - without any water supply!!! :xxbah: :xxbah: :lol8: :lol8: ...as the world were washing away!!!  :deal: (fortnight ago)
Next day we stuck to tar - only about 160km to Gariep - as the gravel roads were an absolute mess!!!

The absolute spectacle of Gariep "mo&ring over and away", made us take a short day and a long "kuier" at Gariep Inn ...  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Next day the plan was to visit "VanderKloof and Orania" ...
After a mere 60 odd kays - in Philippolis of all places - after about 40k's of gravel with a few minor surprises - we noticed that Rider 39"s left front shock on his AT was really really "pissing" oil all over the place - left front disc brake and even engine covered in oil !!!  :eek: :eek:

After many phone calls - finding parts at Central Honda Bloem as well as a free same-day lift, we decided to stay over in the Philippolis Lodge - waiting-out the crisis, trying to repair the bike before taking on the busy N1 ... rest of planned tour now cancelled ...

Rider 39; myself as well as Skolla - a qualified motor meccie, as well as an engineering expert In milking machines ::), took on the job of replacing the seals ... eventually only the left shock ... right shock seemed fine ...

The rest of the way to Bloem; Bethlehem and Rider 39 to PMB - per tar - the bloody shock still leaked - and it is still leaking!!! (not pissing)

Long story short - Ryder 39 took it to Honda Zambesi - who lodged a complaint with Honda SA ... Stanchion is damaged !!

Their response: "rider's own fault" ... no claim!!!  :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:

Their poor quality cost each and every one in the group quite a lot of money as well as trouble - now this "denial" ... :eek7:

I still think the AT is brilliant - but according to "Google" this front shock problem is quiet common - SO MAN-UP MR HONDA - OR GO HOME!!!  :director

Attachments

• 20180418_125316.jpg
    20180418_125316.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Gariep3.jpg
    Gariep3.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Gariep2.jpg
    Gariep2.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Gariep.jpg
    Gariep.jpg