Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A delicious dilemma  (Read 409 times)

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
A delicious dilemma
« on: September 13, 2008, 06:00:29 pm »
So yesterday, out of the blue a guy phones me and says ' Do you want to sell your Gas Gas 300?'
Well I have been toying with the idea. I doubt I am going to ride any more enduros. I rode the poor bike twice last year. This year a bit more but really it is playing second fiddle to the 990 and my adventure rides. I want a lighter 'hard adventure' type bike than the 990 but the 2-smoke isn't it.
Anyway he came, he looked and he did an internet transfer then and there and left with the bike. Checked - money in the account!
Right so what to buy? I want a four stroke, street legal bike able to do longish trips but still capable in the rough stuff. A good example would be a Transkei trip along the coast or the trip we did in Mozambique earlier this year - lots of sand riding where the 990 was good but just too heavy. Additionally I would like to commute on the bike around town. If I could do a little bit of light enduro work too that would be a bonus.

Soooooo these are the bikes I've been thinking of:
Suzuki Drz 400: cheap, reliable, many mods available, great off road, could even be raced at a push but certainly riden on an enduro loop (had one before and raced it for 2 years). I saw some ot the WD EC bash that had come from a long way away so I know they can be ridden as a touring bike but I'm not sure how comfortable that would be and also if they can maintain 120km/h for an extended time.
Ktm 525/530: have seen a thread where they turn this into a decent ds bike: http://dsadventures.com/ds525 It would certainly meet my objectives.
Bmw X-challenge: There was one on our Moz trip and it really impressed me. Don't think it could do the enduro loops that well, getting a bit heavy but would meet the other criteria and they seem to be really cheap (relatively) second hand with lots of farkles coming out for them.
Ktm 625 scx: Don't know a lot about this bike but what I have heard is all good. In the same mold as the X-challenge I would think.

The Ktm 690 enduro would probably be my dream bike but I have a budget of about R 50k so beyond my means.
I went looking on Auto Trader and there seems to be quite a lot of bikes to be had at that price. Does anyone know what the Ktm 560 smr is? One on Auto Trader, 2007 model for R 44 900!!!

So there you have it. I would love to hear from Dawgs that have owned some of these bikes. Good points, bad points etc.
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: A delicious dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:13:19 pm »
What a delicious dilemma to be in  ;) . If you are not in a rush to buy go test ride a whole bunch of bikes the you like in your price range.Ride a different one every weekend and then choose the one that you the biggest smile/woodie.

>:D

Enjoy the shopping.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:27:29 pm »
I dont know these bikes so well, but I was looking at a X-challenge/ X-country, and they seem to be nice bikes, but have not been selling very well. Mikedabike tells me that there is new similar bike coming out I htin its the BMW  X450 or something like that. There are some pics of this bike on the forum and its looks like a great ride.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

bobnob

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »
drz400 gets my vote

lots and lots and lots of mods available to make it a stunning bike  :thumleft:

Offline ratrap

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:42 pm »
drz400 gets my vote

lots and lots and lots of mods available to make it a stunning bike  :thumleft:

I agree with Bobnob 100%
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:17:10 pm »
The 400 is not a powerhouse but it will do anything else with ease. Just being capable of longer trips just as any big ds bike makes it stand apart from anything else. True some other bikes will give bigger smiles but you will never "travel" with them.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 09:52:10 pm »
Enjoy the dilemma.  :biggrin:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline LanceSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:55:52 am »
It's a friggin' motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you scared every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Offline j_csquare

• Puppy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:48 am »
How about a Honda XR650R? Cool, tough, very capable off-road and OK for longer trips.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:09:34 am »
look at the dr650 as well..reliable as an anvil and loads of aftermarket stuff available from the usa.

in yr list i would do the drz though
Born to lose, live to win!!

bobnob

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:14:01 am »
look at the dr650 as well..reliable as an anvil and loads of aftermarket stuff available from the usa.

in yr list i would do the drz though

sorry but the dr650 has been developed for longevity - will last for ever - but when it comes to putting to the power to the road its no xr650 or even drz400

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:18:02 am »
For the price of that KTM 560, you could pick up a good DRZ and stil have between 5-10k for mods etc.
It will also be more reliable and a LOT cheaper and easier to maintain.
Just my 2c worth.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com