Why you should never ride in the dark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil959

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi All,

I know the forum and the net is full of similar stories but I've decided to share my experience in a new post in the hope it helps someone in the future..

Can I start by saying my mates and myself are city slickers, and not great riders... and I know someone is going to say you are such an idiot, which I now agree with... but anyhow, here is the story...

Our annual trip planned this year was to fly out of DBN to PE. In PE collect the BMW R1200GS's (had already been shipped down) then ride up to Upington, sprinbok, Port Nolloth, then down the West Coast to CPT.
SAA delayed our flight from 9am, to 10,11,12,13,14...etc having booked accommodation etc.. we decided to buy new flight with Fly Safair, which landed at 4pm... by the time we got on the bikes it was 5pm, we had a chat and decided to rather push on to our intended accommodation in Graaff Reinet (+/- 250km) instead of loosing out on all our planned accommodation...

Anyhow, about 100km's outside of PE on the R75 my mate in front of me hit a Kudu cow at about 100km/h. I just saw his bikes front end whip wildly and then his hazards go on, I braked thinking he had hit a big pot hole or a blow out..

He was fine, just some bruises but the bike was finished... the front end basically disintegrated, he didn't see it come or have chance to do anything but hold on... The cow had both back legs broken and luckily a farmer with a gun was able to stop and put it out of its misery. Hopefully there are some attached pictures of the damage and road area.. (always struggle to upload..)

My advise to everyone, unless you know the area.. never.. NEVER ride at night.. it's just not worth it...

PS: We all went back to PE and the following day my mate hired a car and the trip continued as planned.. 2965km's....done 

EDIT 28/05/2018:

Just a follow up, the tow truck company charger R13500 to put the bike on a trailer and take it back to PE (+/- 120kms), although my mate was told it was all covered by the insurance company... it wasn't, usual Tow Truck ..BS..! And as usual they won't release the bike to the insurance company till he pays up..

-Be prepared on a trip... have your insurance details, medical aid..etc and share them with the group.. when things go wrong, your head does think straight..!

Attachments

• 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 2 (2).JPG
    2 (2).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,150