Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Leaving bike in Namibia while I fly back to the UK?  (Read 372 times)

Offline maria41

• Bike: Yamaha XT225
    • View Profile
    • www.franglais-riders.com
Leaving bike in Namibia while I fly back to the UK?
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:56:47 pm »
Hi everyone,

It looks like I will need to fly back to the UK for a very quick visit that I cannot avoid ( compulsory stuff I must attend) . I plan to fly off Windhoek to London and come back to Namibia few days later.

Can I leave Namibia without my motorbike? My husband will stay behind and wait for me. I plan to leave him with my carnet. Or should I take the Carnet with me? Just looking at any difficulties with regards to the bike. Other alternative is to fly off from Luanda, or Malawi... we will be doing a big loop from Cape Town, starting end of May until end of September.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks.

Offline blockheadxl650v

Re: Leaving bike in Namibia while I fly back to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:26:20 pm »
Ahh so you have an invite to Harry's wedding then?? :peepwall:

Offline maria41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:42:21 pm »

Ahh so you have an invite to Harry's wedding then?? :peepwall:

:lol8:made me laugh! No, related to my citizenship application, post Brexit! Long 3 years battle ( only been in the uk for 21 years, married to a Brit and working and paying massive taxes continuously! !) but still... been refused once, now applying with lawyer with solid tight dossier! Once this is granted, any day now, I have 3 months to do my citizenship ceremony ( compulsory) or lose it! So voila! I have to flight back for a stupid 5 minutes ceremony at my local council. Expensive but i have no choice.

Best place to fly back seems Windhoek. By the time we get there, I should have Received my reference number from home office and booked the ceremony. But I want to avoid Lusaka or Lilongwe. In general we try to avoid riding into big towns and capital cities on our trips. It is always horrendous. I still have flashbacks of riding out of Tashkent ( Uzbekistan) ... I truely thought I would never make it out alive. I donít expect standard of driving in Lusaka or Lilongwe to be any better!

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »
good luck with the bike trip and the ceremony. I remember doing mine at the consulate in cape town.

The following users thanked this post: maria41

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:24 pm »
To answer your question. I'm sure it would not be an issue. I left my bike there for 3 months before I went back to collect it from Luderitz.
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:10 pm »
I'll leave the bike's carnet with the bike. Its the bike's passport. If you loose ot in the UK you tender for trouble.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline maria41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:10 pm »
Thanks  for the answer. In some countries they put the bike on the passport so it can be tricky to leave it behind.
Never been down that part of the world so I thought best to check.  ^-^

Offline Xpat

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:02 pm »
I don't know the legislature in detail, but I'm pretty sure it is non-issue. And yes -leave the carnet with the bike. They definitely do not put bike into your passport, unless they have it linked somehow in computer, which is unlikely.

BTW South Africa, Namibia and Botswana are in custom union, so you have to get your carnet stamped when entering any of these three countries and then stamped out when exiting any of these three. You don't need to get it stamped when crossing between them. I.e. if your bike is shipped to CT, you will get your carnet stamped there and then - if you go directly to Namibia, you don't have to get it stamped on the border again, nor if you cross to Botswana (either from SA or Botswana). On the other hand if you exit from Nam or Bots to Zambia, get it stamped on the exit.

At least those were the rules about 12 years ago when I was put putting on Euro registered bike around.

BTW, I have finished ride report from Namibia - Kaokoland and Damaraland, so if you are still interested in that area, check it out here:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222953.0

Offline maria41

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:35 pm »
Thanks Expat, I will ask at the 1st border. We are shipping the bikes to CT hence use of a carnet.
I have read all your rides reports ( they are awesome and super useful). I will go through the Kaokoland report again and take notes ( I am  a bit of a nerd!) This report is special to me, as I really want to explore north west Namibia. Although my riding skills in sand are not that great. So we will have to see.  Oh and I am very scared of the wildlife out there. Not sure I could ever outrun an elephant or lion with my little 250XT! So I have a very ambitious plan but we will see once on the road. We have 4 months, so plenty of time for  a big loop, going up to Malawi and down to CT. :)