Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Sheepman

Re: Why all the squabbling about bike weight?
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 09:30:13 am »
Horses for courses I suppose.The point is some big blokes can ride well and can pick their big heavy bikes up....but only so many times during a trip....saw that flick many times  ;) It doesn't really matter if the bike and the rider combo weighs 400 kgs if gravel roads are travelled, but it really starts to matter if  gnarly single spoor with rocks, sand and mud becomes the path ( I know the big ou from Sabie and maybe a few others can do that, but they are the exceptions ).For the rest, lighter is way, way better for tougher terrain.   

Offline J-dog

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:10 am »
What I'm talking about is a 130kg lard bucket pointing out gleefully and proudly that his 1090 is 6lbs lighter than Harry's 1290  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:34:48 am by J-dog »

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:37 am »
What I'm talking about is a 130kg lard bucket pointing out gleefully and proudly that his 1090 is 6lbs lighter than Harry's 1290  :imaposer:

Known and spoken about....its ridiculous ;)

Offline Ri

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 09:41:11 am »
There was an article once which said something to the effect of (paraphrasing): Taking 600g off the bike is not going to make much difference if it takes 3 cows to make your racing leathers  :imaposer:

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 10:08:03 am »
There was an article once which said something to the effect of (paraphrasing): Taking 600g off the bike is not going to make much difference if it takes 3 cows to make your racing leathers  :imaposer:

Edzattery  :laughing4:

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 10:15:06 am »
Lighter bike = better handling offroad. This is always true.

On road incl good gravel - If you ride like the majority of DS riders that are happy to cruise along bike weight is less of an issue. However if you're closer to the fast/hooligan side of the spectrum lighter will generally be better.

Back to offroad/twintrack/rough roads = again lighter is always better. Reality is no bike 800cc+> is light. From there on up they're all heavy. Light bikes are <160kg wet weight in DS terms.
The 500cc road legal enduro bikes are again in a class of their own here being likely 130kg or less wet and loaded.

Why does bike weight matter vs what you weigh? It influences your ability to control and throw your bike around vs just hanging on for the ride. In the light of this 5kg makes very little difference but 20kg or more makes a huuuuuge difference. Don't believe me? Bring your 800cc+ bike and we can go for a ride, rough but ok gravel and some twin track, lets say Matjiesrivier - Eselbank - Wupperthal or in fact even just the Highlands road to kleinmond. If you're an average rider like myself your 800cc bike just won't keep up because you will be fighting the bikes weight, I'll be controlling mine  :deal: (disclaimer - if you're a Chris Birch protege then my argument is invalid  :lamer:)
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline King Louis

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:07 am »
I never bought into this bike weight argument. Let the bike do the job, I did not buy it to carry it.  :ricky:

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:10 am »
I never bought into this bike weight argument. Let the bike do the job, I did not buy it to carry it.  :ricky:

:thumleft: or push it.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »
The way the guys talk looks like we getting ready to do the Dakar  :imaposer:

Offline Jabus

• Pack Dog
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:32 pm »
It is the same as making love to a fat lady.... She is only heavy if she lies on top of you  :ricky:

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »
With cars, weight is not a great deal.

With motorcycles, it is everything.

Heavy objects just react to changes in surface too slowly.

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »
I'd imagine that losing 20kg as a result of malaria would weaken you much more than losing the same amount due to diet and exercise, and the bike riding experience would be somewhat different.
True to a certain extent, but I have noticed the same when losing or gaining weight without malaria since then. I had a month to recover from the malaria before I got on the bike as well, I like a moron was back to carrying 50kg cement bags two weeks after getting better. But then again as soon as the symptoms go away you feel like a milion bucks when compared to how it felt while sick...
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 10:17:00 pm »
With motorcycles, it is everything.

Heavy objects just react to changes in surface too slowly.

With the first sentence I fully agree.

With the second one I will slightly disagree.  With the ktm990 the bike did react slowly with the changes in surface while the suspension and wheel did react fast.  The heavier weight and slower reaction has the effect of a very plush ride while the suspension and wheels work their arse off to keep contact.  The bike is such a comfortable ride on gravel roads while a lighter bike reacts on a gravel road and tires the rider.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2018, 10:09:27 am »
That is true but I'd be more tired riding my 950 where my 450 goes, than the other way round.

I'd be more bored riding my 450 where my 950 goes, than the other way round.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »
.. while a lighter bike reacts on a gravel road and tires the rider.
They call that feedback
Without it, you'll sit on your arse before you know it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:47:05 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2018, 10:01:37 pm »
.. while a lighter bike reacts on a gravel road and tires the rider.
They call that feedback
Without it, you'll sit on your arse before you know it.

So if you tackle a bumpy road in a vw beetle instead of a luxury bmw you call it feedback?  ;D

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 01:08:11 am »
Combined bike and rider weight to power ratio only helps when doing robot to robot dices.        (Note to BO: Robot in SA = Traffic lights in USA) :biggrin:
For offroad riding, lighter bike is always better - finish en klaar.

This makes me think at the time I was still into cycling:  Guy spends R15K more on a frame that is 400g lighter. At the end of a race he always had more than 1/2 litre left in his water bottle...
I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:14 am »
Combined bike and rider weight to power ratio only helps when doing robot to robot dices.        (Note to BO: Robot in SA = Traffic lights in USA) :biggrin:
For offroad riding, lighter bike is always better - finish en klaar.

This makes me think at the time I was still into cycling:  Guy spends R15K more on a frame that is 400g lighter. At the end of a race he always had more than 1/2 litre left in his water bottle...

:thumleft: 

Online Bappas

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:34 am »
And the suspension is still designed for a 170 pound or 77 Kg rider!!!!!!!!! The weight of the bike should be the least of your worries!!!!!
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 08:19:00 am »
With me redlining the scale at Kg 72, I have never had to complain about inadequate suspension.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler