Big and Small's coexistence to Mpumalanga and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
A KTM 1190 and a Honda CRF250 Rally.

The initial knee jerk impression would be that the bikes are totally mismatched, at least from a capacity perspective. Question is, can they happily co-exist on the same ride.

Me being on the little 250, I was at an advantage for at least 50% of the time and my mate on his 1190, having the upper hand for the other 50%. What does this mean exactly? A true 50/50 compromise. On an adventure ride with varied terrain, these bikes CAN merrily coexist provided there is a degree of rider skill and patience in the mix.

My mate and I left Friday morning at a respectable winter time, meeting at 9:00am. The first 180km from Midrand to Bronchorstspruit is pretty much jeep track. It's a route I've done many times and for me is the best part of adventure riding. Just before Bronchorstspruit, we need to cross a river, go through a section which is like beach sand and cross a field. I can honestly say, the little Rally is in it's element. It could do with a more power naturally but is perfectly adequate and up to the task at hand. The 1190, is pretty hard work, especially if you're not fit and a little out of practice. My mate and I have raced together so I know he's competent but to keep a big bike like the 1190 moving along at pace takes some concentration and energy. The 1190 is also no motocrosser so it has to be nursed else the suspension will find the limits all to often with the inevitable breakage or crash. From Bronchorstspruit, there's another 30km of jeep track and then we hit the dirt highways. The 1190 has the obvious advantage here. He came flying past me like I was looking for parking.....at least until he couldn't see me in his rear view mirrors anymore and slowed down for me to catch up. The little Rally is good for a comfortable 100 - 110 on a gravel road. Anything more is a serious ask. From here we did some tar and more dirt roads. Depending on the dirt road, it's touch and go which is a more capable bike. Anyway, going through varied terrain, tar and dirt roads, we ended up in Dullstroom for a quick beer before heading off to my dads farm about 20km away, in the blistering cold.

Saturday we decided to head out to Kaapsehoop. We tool a real relaxed ride out there. On the way, taking a detour through forestry tracks. A quick lunch in Kaapsehoop and then we hit the N4 back towards Belfast (1190 having the clear advantage here), doing the last 40km on the little inter leading dirt roads to my dads farm in the rain and slimy red clay surface roads that's more akin to ice skating than motorcycle riding. Again, the little Rally is a very clear winner in crappy slippery conditions.

Sunday was the route back and from Belfast, it's an offroad route through the granite koppies to the railway and from there to Middleburg and Witbank, along jeep track next to the railway. I haven't done this route in a while and some of it was rather overgrown. On route, there is a beautiful granite quarry filled with water which is stunning and a perfect photo spot. To take advantage however, some Chris Burch riding is required on the 1190. All I can say is that the 1190 is massive. It's doable, just don't stop. I tried doing a doughnut and almost landed on my face. This after I scoffed at my mate when he got stuck trying to do a doughnut in the forest the day before....  :imaposer:    Again, I had a number of thoughts how well suited the little Rally was to this kind of riding. My mate on his 1190 was starting to up the pace a bit so I didn't need to wait so long. In Witbank we chowed a pizza and a few too many beers before doing the last jeep track section which includes a rather high bridge. My mate has a fear of heights. This combined with the narrow little walkway by which we needed to navigate across had me doing the 1190 bridge duty on his behalf, naturally with the obligatory jesting about his bravery, or lack thereof. From Witbank, we just hit the highway on the way home. This is where the patience comes in. The little Rally doesn't like to cruise at more than an indicated 117km/h. The 1190 is barely ticking over at that speed. A little slip streaming was required to maintain a respectable pace up some of the hills, thanks 1190  :thumleft:

Anyway, a weekend done and dusted, just under 1000km, no crashes or fall and some awesome riding was had. Here are some pics from my crappy phone. Jeez, I need to upgrade it.

Attachments

• 20180518_114418.jpg
    20180518_114418.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 6e4bbe99-92bf-4e3f-ac1d-164ce37cc8d1.jpg
    6e4bbe99-92bf-4e3f-ac1d-164ce37cc8d1.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 6f914de2-60a4-427c-8e0b-50dd42e4254d.jpg
    6f914de2-60a4-427c-8e0b-50dd42e4254d.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 474