Talk about OEM suspension and aftermarket options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Well, the thread on the AT started this,for me. But I know Expat has been pointing out how crap OEM suspension is these days, that there has been a downward trend, possibly because mfg's can get away cause 90% of the market does not need proper suspension - mainly doing tarred road most of the time .

So, what suspensions out there on the bikes we know are better, and which are worse? I think its difficult to judge unless you have a lot of experience.

Also, who has changed their suspensions or modified it - any good results? Few of us can perhaps afford to simply swop out front forks for proper R50k options.

Personally, I assumed WP was good, and that is perhaps why KTM use them, being more off-road  biased - they need better suspension.

Ohlins has always been a bleddie expensive option.

I think most okes take their OEM shocks and change the springs. That's probably the cheapest option that will make the biggest difference. Then you can also re-vavle front upside down forks. You can swop cartridges, not sure.

I head some guys saying that closed cartridge systems are better. There is a KTM 500 for sale now that changed the front shocks to closed cartrdige types. There must be a reason to do a mod like that.

Any ideas?