Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TRANS MOZMBIQUE RALLY 2018  (Read 1629 times)

Offline DREWMARX

Re: TRANS MOZMBIQUE RALLY 2018
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 04:41:03 pm »
DAY 2:
Day two started at about 4:45am as I woke up and couldn’t keep my mouth shut, after all I am excited! And why not? We’re in Moz on scramblers with nowhere to go but NORTH on dirt roads nogal. Lets’ wake up, have coffee, pack up and go! Johan was not impressed, he’s the sleep in type, but nonetheless he got up and we had some lekker cappuccino to get us started and we planned on buying some Paos for breakfast, please note the spelling PAOS, not anything else, it’s bread! And we are very far away from anything that will even remotely resemble a nice to eat PAOS(spelt differently).

The XRR Patiently waiting for me to emerge from my tent.....

Sunrise over the Horizon.... whats prettier than this?

Johan's trusty steed also patiently waiting outside his tent for him.......

Kom Johan, roer jou gat en pak jou tent op, ek wil ry en ons moet PAOS gaan vreet!!!

Little did either of us know that we were going to be setting a trend with regards to our wake-up and departure times in the morning, we were still excited and positive about the journey and thought that waking up at just before 5am and then only leaving by 7am was because we had a long shitty day on TAR from Pretoria to the Border the previous day, and we also reckoned we needed some rest after losing all that money, you know, just to get our heads right? Anyway, we got up around 5ish, started packing up our stuff as the sun rose to light our way, we had some coffee, lekker cappuccino and before we knew it we hit the dirt. We rode for about 70km, roughly an hour on a mix of dirt and road, some really sandy sections through some settlements and happened to come upon a nice little town with a bakery where we were going to eat some PAOS!

The much anticipated PAO Bakery!

Johan making a melrose kasie and biltong PAO, and of-course washing it down with a coke at 8am.....

During our journey we had numerous river crossings and bridge crossings, and I thought this would be nice to document, name the river etc... ag forget it! There were so many and the effort of taking out the camera every single time started to get boring, and then trying to find out their names, ag nee wat, I just decided taht I will film them if the opportunity presents itself and if it isn't too much hassle, we still crossed many rivers and we took many photographs! There was one river and one bridge where we thought our journey would end, but you'll have to wait till we get there. For now, here is the FIRST bridge we crossed en-route to eating our PAOS with Biltong and Cheese............

I think the name of the town we ended up in this morning was Chinhacanine, and no its not a Chinese Dog, it's the name of the town, go find it on the map! We had a bigger river crossing over the Limpopo near the Chinese Dog Town en-route to Mabalane, which we reached in very little time at all. The Road was gravel and we flew over it, there were busses flying at incredible speeds and we ate a lot of dust en route to Mabalane!

Crossing the Limpopo at Chinhacanine......

Is ons op die regte pad? Is alles nog vas?

Nice FAST gravel to Mabalane!

Mabalane Water Tower, at least we know there is some water......

Before we knew it we were in and through Mabalane and en-route to the unknown. We wanted to reach Massangena and cross the river, but tie was always an issue from the start of this journey and lack of planning left us in the dark. We turned off near Mapai toward Machaila and through Banhine National Park. This is where we started going off the beaten track a bit….we took some wrong turns and ended up on 30km/hour sand track and wasted about 3 hours messing around in the park on what looked like sandy game viewing tracks. We were running out of fuel and also wasting time, valuable time!

Turn off the Banhine National Park

But first we needed some coke and some fuel for the pigs

There is absolutely no dust on my face......

While stopping for fuel we each had another biltong and melrose broodjie on some of the extra PAO's we bought.

Left takes us to Limpopo National Park, we don't want to go there.....

And off we go into the unknown again, will there be fuel, will there be food?

Some nice fast Gravel, at first just to make us think we're going to make good time......

Still looking good at this stage.....

Another one of our many river crossings............

Oooo Fok hier kom die sand! Not that the sand was the problem, it was more the time factor as mentioned above. This sandy road started turning left and right every hundred or so meters, and this makes it impossible to pick up speed and maintain it. Johan and I both would drink at least 3 shots of BRAND SLANG that night because of falling over in the sand. It was slow going in the beginning and eventually I stripped my moer and just gave it gas and left Johan behind, I was just leaning it hard into the sand in the turns and hoping the front wheel wouldn't wash out, but it didn't and I was making up time. Johan was a little less confident and made slow going of the thicker sand. I had to wait for him every now and then so that we didn't lose each other on the second day of the trip.

We were both getting gatvol for the slow going, me at Johan for not keeping up, and him at me for racing away and at himself for not being fast enough on Sand. We had a talk about how to ride sand and he told me all the research he had done and what he found out, and he was spot on, Keep the momentum going, a little faster is better than a little slower, keep your weight back and don't fight the sand, go with the flow. I reiterated this to him, and before long he got the hang of it and as the trip progressed he was more and more confident on the sand!

My words weren't even cold before I ended up dropping my bike in the sand, but first a well earned beer in a village where we bought some fuel.....in the middle of nowhere on a sandy bush track in a National Park...........

Some very interesting Architecture and building used in this village. At first it looked like spoel klippe(river rocks for the anglish okes), but on closer inspection it was revealed that it was in fact small rolled balls of mud/clay.....

Back to dropping the bike. We had our beer, bought some water and put some fuel in our bikes in the village and off we were! It was about 4pm when we left the village and from experience we now knew that darkness falls at around 17:30 and we had only done about 300km for the day, way behind our target. I flew out of  there like my ass was on fire, and while doing probably around 80kph(conservative guess) there was a sudden swampy area...........

I hit the brakes hard and came to a stop inches from the water, in tact, dry and still on the bike. I examined the swampy area and saw that 100% I would have seen my GAT if I had just said F-it and plowed through it! But now I hard to turn around in the sand, and that was it, trying to turn around I dropped the bike in the sand. Picked it and kicked for what felt like eternity! Waited for Johan, about 10min and when he showed up he asked why I didn't just take the detour? BECAUSE I DIDN'T SEE IT, I WAS FLYING! Anyway, decided to take off all the kit and give the bike another kick, couldn't put it on the side stand because it sinks away in the sand, so Johan held it upright for me! BRRRRRrrrrAAAAP first kick after I took off all the kit. Rode the bike to a firm piece of ground and parked it while I put ALL the kit back on!!!

Johan found this all very amusing!

From here the sand just got thicker and I just rode faster and flew over a cross road where luckily I decided to turn around and ask some locals which way was Mabote. They told me to turn left, instead of going straight on as the road going left is much better and the one going forward was only getting sandier! I listened and waited for Johan. By now it was 17:00 and we hadn't done much mileage for the day. Johan cought up and we set off left as the locals instructed. We rode for about half an hour looking left and right trying to find a nice camping spot, and eventually decided to camp off behind the site of an old overgrown quarry(probably for the road) in the bush by a big tree. Johan got stuck in a rut here while trying to ride up to the big tree.........

My bike patiently waiting for Johan to reach the top........

Johan finally at the top of the little hill by the tree.......

Our big tree.....which had these MOTHER of Dorings that fell from it, seeds with two BIG dorings that penetrate everything! Not the best camping site, but it was getting dark fast and it would have to do........

Our modest little camp site and fire. We did not pitch tents this night as we intended to leave at 6am and did not want to waste time packing up tents. We hoped it wouldn't rain and we were spared rain our entire trip! Very Lucky!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:17:46 pm by DREWMARX »
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline Goingnowherekwickly

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 07:32:51 pm »
Great stuff! can't wait for the rest, proper adventure this :)

Offline Lou1

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
Blksm!

Offline armpump

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 08:29:00 pm »
Bring more :)

Offline jeff

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 11:34:44 pm »
Nice....
"Love the life you live. Live the life you love"

Bob Marley

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:15 am »
Before I start day three I have to finish the evening of the second day. We finished setting up camp, had some dinner, we had some Tuna, mayo and left over PAOS, I had forgotten how good tuna and mayo toebies are.......

Anyway, there we are in the middle of nowhere, somewhere near Mabote in the bush behind an old quarry in Southern Mozambique, we figured we were safe cause all the kak is up north, or that's what we heard and what everyone says, no? I'll tell you the truth, this night was the one and only night I felt a little scared and anxious and the more north we traveled the safer we both felt, the friendlier people became and the more enjoyable our trip became. There were even places where the people were afraid of us, who can blame them? Two dirty afrikaans speaking bikers on big red pigs that make a hell of a noise? I have to admit I might have been afraid of us as well, and then I am sure most of them, if they have ever watched TV must have seen Robocop and we must have looked like Robocop incarnate with our boots and jackets and helmets and red alien rockets that make a thunderous sound attached to our buttholes? I'm just talking nonsense now, but back to the point, I felt scared that night. Maybe around 10pm, we had been sleeping, or trying to sleep and constantly removing those DEVIL thorn seed things, I mentioned earlier, that poked through our mattresses every now and again, blissfully unaware of the dangers that lurked beyond the reach of our modest little fire. Again, maybe around 10pm we suddenly heard the crack and echo of a gunshot, who knows how far away it was? But it was loud enough to feel very close, like it was just on the other side of the road, and not long after that we heard vehicles driving up and down the road near where we camped, driving past, slowing down, turning around and then just driving past our camp again before turning around again. Then we heard voices....not whispering but the arrogant load talking and shouting of people who are up to no good and afraid of nothing, the way a predator moves in darkness with bold confidence, he is the hunter not the hunted, what does he have to be afraid of? Definitely not too white okes on bikes! Johan and I were whispering to each other, talking about them possibly being poachers, and what we'd do if we heard them approaching, talking about how dense the bush was and all the deep quarry holes/ankle breakers that littered the area, we might be able to get away. We were still at the beginning of our journey, the bikes were still crisp and with the choke up in the early morning they both started FIRST KICK. I felt confident we'd be able to make good our escape, at least we'd have a shot, and hopefully not get shot. Johan is a bit of a wolfman, he is satisfied with very little and has spent a lot of time in the bush, he is quite knowledgeable and not afraid, although cautious, of pitching a tent almost anywhere.

We waited and waited, I opened my leatherman SUPERTOOL and took out the most dangerous blade, and in the other hand held my LED Lenser torch. My strategy was that if I was surprised by anyone they were going to be blinded and bliksemed with a torch and stabbed as many times as is humanly possible with a Leatherman SUPERTOOL! I was tired, and so was Johan, and gradually I fell asleep as the voices faded and the vehicles seemed to have moved on. Johan had put out the fire so they wouldn't spot us and in the morning he told me there were more gunshots, three to be exact, but no one ever bothered us. It was quite an intense night, it was still fun and it really felt like we were on an adventure riddled with danger and filled with the promise of the unknown. So on to the start of the third day.........

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline LRFan

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 08:01:29 am »
i can not see the photos, it says person removed or deleted photos?

Offline eSKaPe

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • As in "The Great Escape"
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:04 am »
Would love to see the pics?

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 08:38:18 am »
DAY 3:

The day our problems started. Day three was easily our day where we did the least distance while having access to some of the best roads, some, I say this particulary because there were some tar sections that understatedly were very kak, but not as kak as those found and experienced on day 4. The tar sections we did on day 4 were bike breakers, literally and how our bikes survived must only be due to the fact that they were XR's. My XRR as all the other 650R's are watercooled, and thus have radiators. This was a bit of a scare when I bought my 690 in 2012 and I never had a problem, although I had to replace it twice from crashes, and once the 690 was dead(written off) when t-boning a Navara at about 80kph in Arusha, Tanzania, I had to replace it, but didn't have the cash to buy another one, and rather opted for a 650R project. Gradually the 650R took shape and eventually was ready to do some trips. No problems with the Radiator EVER, until this trip that is. Early evening on DAY 2, just before we found our camp, we, more like me only, were FLYING over the nice hard packed dirt! There were some serious rutted areas and washed out sections,but not too many and because of the suspension set-up of the 650R there are hardly too many times or instances where you have to slow down considerably to avoid a crash. This trip was one during which I absolutely fell in love with the old-tech suspension of the XRR, the front fork angle has considerable rake, the angle to which it is set relative to horizontal, this makes it virtually impossible to go over the handlebars, although with some considerable effort and talent I managed to come close a few times. The XR's suspension is great and Johan had similar compliments regarding the XR400 he was riding, he even mentioned that the suspension was way better than his 690's.

So, I was flying down this dirt road trying to make up as much distance and time as is humanly possible on a loaded XRR, on the evening of DAY 2, when suddenly a a little dip/washout on a slight corner surprised me. There was no slowing down, no stopping, only a lot of thoughts of oh fuck, trip ends here, Johan is going to find the bike and I stuck in the fork of some tree once the dust settles, but no, just "GONK!" a little tail shake, I think I saw my back wheel trying to overtake me, then a very brief little head shake, the front end on this bike is SUPER STABLE, and then a magical grip and drift around the bend........I felt like I was Toby Price racing the DAKAR! Sheeeesh, what a relief, I thought I was done! So I just kept on riding, but dusk was fast approaching and as Johan caught up we stopped briefly to talk about where to camp when I caught the slight wifff of coolant. It was very warm, and I figured the varky just boiled a bit, I didn't see any leaks, just smelt some coolant. This was the last day varky would have any coolant in it for the remainder of the trip, and we had only done about 1000km of our 4200km journey. I blisfully went to sleep without paying any attention to the radiator. The next morning, start of DAY 3 was a different story all together.

We got up at 5am, as would be the norm for the trip and stoked the fire, there were some coals left, and just some light blowing on some small twigs quickly brought the flames back to life......

Johan took his time packing up is stuff because of a little dew build up on his stuff, I somehow managed to avoid this and was ready to go in about 30min. We made some coffee and decided on some biltong and melrose PAOS in Mabote for breakfast. The cappuccino was lekker!!!

And off we were, we didn't ride too far before we came to another little river crossing and photo opportunity..........en-route to MABOTE

This was the site where I noticed the coolant pissing out of my Radiator. We weren't far from MABOTE so I nursed the bike, if you can call it that to MABOTE, where we stopped to have breakfast and see if we can fix the Radiator leak. We stopped in front of a bakery that sells those very tasty PAOS and we set to work making our Biltong and Melrose Toebies for Breakfast, washed it down with some coke, and asked for boiling water so we can make another cappuccino.

While doing a walk around I noticed my luggage rack was loose, and found one of the bolts holding the rack to the subframe dangling from it's socket in the luggage rack. I was amazed it hadn't bliksemed out, but when I removed it I found that it had sheered off in the subframe, and the bolt on the opposite side had also sheered off in the subframe. Ag nee man! I was bleak, here in MABOTE nothing was gonna get solved. I decided to take the tank off to get to the radiator and take everything else off as well needed to see what plan I can make to secure the luggage rack. 3000 plus km's left with a loose luggage rack and leaking Radiator was not looking too fortuitous! Johan's lekker Sidi Crossfires were also suffering, his entire sole of his one boot had come undone and was only still attached by some mirracle by the faintest little bit of glue at the tip of his toe. He went looking for some PRATLEY STEEL and for someone to glue his sole back while I stripped the bike. My photos stopped here and I will see if I can get Johan's photos of the repair session. He came back after probably an our or so wearing one but and a loaned flip flop on the other, apparently his boot was being stitched and he brought with him the magical PRATLEY STEEL. I was in a better mood! Found the tiniest of leaks on the left bottom front side of the radiator and GENEROUSLY applied the PRATLEY. Waited about 10min during which time Johan's Boot was delivered stitched together better than new. I couldn't find a way to remove the sheered off bolts in the subframe and opted for some cable ties, two on each side, and we said we'll take a little more travelled route to Vilankulos where, en-route, we might find an engineering shop or place with a drill to fix my luggage rack. THIS NEVER HAPPENED!

I put everything back on the bike, luggage rack was almost as secure with the cable ties as it was with the bolts into the subframe, put the tank back on, poured water in the radiator and started the bike. NO LEAKS! Miracle, or damn I;m good and thanks PRATLEY STEEL. Then.....ag fokkit, I turned the bottom tank bolts of the BIG ACERBIS back in, these bolts fasten the tank to the radiator and as I tightened the left bolt it stretched open the Radiator ever so slightly and psssss out blasted nice luke warm radiator water. As soon as the water started pissing out  removed the tank bolt again and the leaking stopped. I applied another generous amount of PRATLEY gom, and put the tank bolt in my soft luggage to be used another day. Off we were again, after wasting roughly 3 hours in MABOTE, which is a one street town, with not much going on, but you could buy bread, PRATLEY STEEL and have a boot repaired, not much more than that is needed in a one horse MOZAM town is there?

Trying to find PRATLEY STEEL at a local mechanic shop, very useless place

And off we were, the open road and the unknown beckoning us north.....

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 08:44:44 am »
Morning Guys,

Not sure why you can't see the photos, when I open the ride report they are all there. Please go to my photo bucket, I will put the links up for the different days. Please see below:

DAY 2:
http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/DrewMarx/library/Moz%20Trip%202018%20Day%202?sort=2&page=1

DAY 3:
http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/DrewMarx/library/Moz%20Trip%202018%20Day%203?sort=2&page=1

Offline jeff

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »
 :peepwall:

Bob Marley

Offline jeff

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 10:07:44 pm »
WTF , get me hooked and then ...............

Bob Marley

Offline Lou1

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 06:31:39 pm »
YOH!

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2018, 07:51:58 pm »
Cool RR  :thumleft: How was the oil situation? Did you carry some with you. Between my 400R - 650L - 650R I always had to throw a bit of lube at them every 500km or so.

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 08:09:00 am »
Hi Guys,

Sorry, was away for a touch rugby weekend. Rest to follow today.

Zacapa, we used some a lot of oil! I'll get to that.....

Kind Regards

Drew

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
BRP forever!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 07:08:45 am »
Fantastic seeing a pure Honda thread!

I currently have an XRR in Kenya and love it to death, but it's funny how you've experienced two of the problems I have: radiator leak and broken rack bolts. Actually, you were lucky just to shear the bolt... I managed to break the whole subframe one time!

Keep on!

:snorting:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:22:22 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 02:57:03 pm »
Oi! What happened to the rest of your report? We're looking forward to it....!