Buffeting issues revisited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracker

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Time to revive a dead horse ..............  :thumleft:

As you all know, if you're the taller variety of man, you're gonna get your head blown off, riding one of these bikes. And on, long, boring, tar sections it's annoying as hell.

To solve it, I tried the aerotrim wind deflector - piece of kak, didn't help me.

I was lucky enough to buy a 2nd hand screen and decided to chop this one shorter.

4tFChU7.jpg

Wow!!! What a difference .............. this I'd definitely recommend  :thumleft:

BUT not to escape wind. Sure, the buffeting stops but you end up in a high speed gale, like any other naked bike. Not the end of the world as it still seems better than stock and the wind is constant. Nice but still loud in the helmet.

The big plus, however, is having no screen at all ........ you can see. Much, much better for off-road riding and scooting around town. It feels like a different bike, feels more manouverable, like a plastic ................... just like the bikes I'm used to. I love it!!!!  :thumleft: :biggrin: :thumleft:

Take your stock screen off and ride around like that - you'll see what I mean.

However, when you wanna clip a few hundred kms on the tar it gets tiresome. So, what to do?

Well, I took that crappy aerotrim thing off and used the cut-off section from my short screen to make a new, bigger wind deflector. I finally fitted it today and took if for a spin on the highways. I am quite chuffed with it. It's better than stock in that the buffeting has now been moved higher, above my helmet and it's a quieter ride. Great, I've finally got a screen that's good for touring, not perfect, but way better than stock.

uw4ziEX.jpg

8EthFQr.jpg

The problem is that I hate it. I just don't like looking through a screen or over one. Not my style. So, it will come off, to be replaced by the shorty. But when the next, not-so-tech, long-distance trip comes along, I'll fit it.

Should be good for Namibia ..................... thinking of going there next.  8)