Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda CRF450L is coming  (Read 49412 times)

Online DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Honda CRF450L is coming
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2018, 10:26:32 am »
It is a step in the right direction with the decline of the 650 class in favour of 200kg plus bikes, I am looking forward to seeing the new 6 speed mode here in SAl

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:26 am »
This is all subject to where you live and access time to dirt.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Fransw

« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:57 pm »
Honda is just teasing us with this deliberately confusing info! :lol8:

They want us to discuss this at length! Free marketing for them!

Japs are more than just tasteless sushi!..

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #203 on: May 26, 2018, 01:15:54 pm »
This is all subject to where you live and access time to dirt.

And whether you blood bleeds red, blue or orange  :imaposer:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2018, 07:56:26 pm »
If every adventure rider is waiting for a 450-ish, lightweight D/S bike, why is sales so low on KTM and Husky 500/501, WR's, etc??

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:30 pm »
Near 1 Liter oil capacity.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:41 pm »
If every adventure rider is waiting for a 450-ish, lightweight D/S bike, why is sales so low on KTM and Husky 500/501, WR's, etc??

Who said every adv rider is waiting for lightweight DS bike?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »

Well, obviously not every single one, many in fact will continue wrestling a pig, I was referring to the massive interest every mention of a "new" lightweight D/S bike has, and that few people will actually buy one.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:13 pm »
We just want them to be available ........... to exist ................... absolutely no need to buy one  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Xpat

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:49 pm »

Well, obviously not every single one, many in fact will continue wrestling a pig, I was referring to the massive interest every mention of a "new" lightweight D/S bike has, and that few people will actually buy one.

Because words lost meaning and lightweight DS bike means different things to different people as we have seen even on this thread clearly. To me DS bike is plated enduro, as that is what it originally is as invented in US. The Aussie in the video above says this is not a DS bike but plated enduro bike - i.e. exactly what I understand DS bike is - so go figure. And most  people here probably think that Supertenere or 1190 is DS bike - which to me they are not at all - they are adventure bike, i.e. touring bike category invented I think in Europe.

Terminology aside, I think most people in this thread expected initially this bike to be the modern replacement of the classic 650 allrounders like XR/DR/XT . I.e. bikes that are cheap, require minimum maintenance and can be used for wide variety of purposes from daily commuting to weekend bundu bashing.

Which this bike clearly is not (for that you may need to look at the new benchmark adv bike 310GS  :pot:). It is aimed at fringe market of plated enduros currently occupied only by KTM-sqkvarna, as that is the only dirt bike that can be made 50 states legal in US, which is the main market for this type of bike historically. As far as I know WR and other enduro bikes like current CRF enduro bikes cannot be plated in US. Hence this model from Honda, which haw very strong following in US. They saw how many devout US Honda fans moved grudgingly to KTMsqvarna over past decade, because they didn't have any choice (i.e. no other plated enduro bike on the market) and they want to pull some of them back, which judging by some comments on advrider, the probably will. Unless of course this bike has really 18kW and nothing can be done about it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:22:55 pm by Xpat »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2018, 08:23:31 pm »
We just want them to be available ........... to exist ................... absolutely no need to buy one  :biggrin:

:imaposer: there's the problem, no manufacturer is going to want a bike to just exist, they want to sell them.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2018, 08:32:32 pm »
I would say that I started my serious D/S career on a 1975 Yamaha DT400B, which weighed [dry] 125kgs.

I did most of my D/S riding on a 138kgs Yamaha XT500.

I have also done Tankwa, etc on Suzuki GT750 and Kawa Z1000, which I found a tad heavy to extract from a sandy patch. These last two weigh what modern big adventure bike weigh. :xxbah:

Like you say Xpat, words loses meaning and different bikes means different things to different people.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:45 pm »
I would say that I started my serious D/S career on a 1975 Yamaha DT400B, which weighed [dry] 125kgs.

I did most of my D/S riding on a 138kgs Yamaha XT500.

I have also done Tankwa, etc on Suzuki GT750 and Kawa Z1000, which I found a tad heavy to extract from a sandy patch. These last two weigh what modern big adventure bike weigh. :xxbah:

Like you say Xpat, words loses meaning and different bikes means different things to different people.

I still miss my DT400  :'(
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2018, 10:46:12 pm »
Price/cost is the deciding factor for me... R 135k for a middle weight bike is a bit lumpy for my budget :patch:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Xpat

« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
Price/cost is the deciding factor for me... R 135k for a middle weight bike is a bit lumpy for my budget :patch:

Middleweight? Is there anything lighter than this, apart from 500/501 which is few kg lighter, but basically the same category? Few kg up or down from KTM, this is basically the lightest one can go in plated bike full stop, unless one manages to plate a trial's bike. I would call middle weight bikes ranging from 690 to probably your Transalp (though that one may be just soo heavy for it).

But I agree on price, at the KTM 500 price with those short service intervals (probably even with long ones, but that would help to differentiate it from 500) Honda will have hard time selling these in SA. I'm surprised they are bringing them in at all - Yamaha never bothered to bring in WR250R, as - similarly to this 450 and very much unlike CRF250L, it has high quality components/suspension and as such high price tag (but unlike this bike it had long service intervals).

And for those few people interested in this category this 450 will compete head on against lighter and more powerfull 500/501, which are very well established and tested worldwide for the proper DS riding, with Adam Rieman's videos marking them as the lighweight bike for long distance trips. And I dare to say KTMsquarna is as reliable, if not more, as this Honda is going to be. I have no clue what unicam is (OK I know that it is single camshaft, but that is about it), but have read quite a few unkind comments about it - from Honda fans. Plus they didn't exactly excel reliability wise in Dakar (at least up to this year, if I remember correctly this year none of the Honda's bombed out) which is kind of approximation for the type of riding this bike may do - in much more relaxed guise and shorter distances of course.

So it is going to be uphill battle for Honda, but I for one wish them success. I will stick with 500 as I have, know and trust the bike and have no reason to switch, but it would be good to have more choice on the market. Who knows - maybe over years with some upgrades this will morph into worthy XR650R (R not L) successor which I also think had pretty short service intervals recommended - and that would be very welcome IMO.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2018, 12:03:49 am »
Is this WR sold here like this? Can it be plated here? http://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/Yamaha/WR450/999516453

Offline Meteor

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2018, 01:24:13 am »
Why didn't they make this engine a bit bigger like a 550?

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2018, 08:32:31 am »
I agree, D/S and adventure bikes mean the same thing to many, and why shouldn't it. adventure bikes can do tar and gravel, the dual in DS seem to imply the same. but its good to know what the terms really mean. I get that you can ride trails amd the US and then back home on tar, but almost feel like you might as well trailer an enduro to your spot and back. who wants to sit on tar on one of these things for more than 20km?
2003 R1150GS

Offline Xpat

« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2018, 08:45:00 am »
I agree, D/S and adventure bikes mean the same thing to many, and why shouldn't it. adventure bikes can do tar and gravel, the dual in DS seem to imply the same. but its good to know what the terms really mean. I get that you can ride trails amd the US and then back home on tar, but almost feel like you might as well trailer an enduro to your spot and back. who wants to sit on tar on one of these things for more than 20km?

I do - merrily. Let's use real example - DeWildt in Gauteng (I assume in CT it would be something like Atlantis). It is about 60 - 70 km from Midrand where I live to police station where the fun begins. About half of that commute I can knock off on dirt roads/tracks. And then I can have more or less exactly the same fun as people on full plastics in DeWildt, including riverbeds, whoops up to watertower, etc. The total roundabout trip of over 200km and most of it - timewise, delicious dirt (not dirt road - proper enduro loop) and plated dirt bike is just perfect for that.

Before I had 500, I had 300 for that, that I had to trailer to DeWildt. I had to wake up at 6  weekend, pack all the crap into bakkie, drive 70 km, unpack, gear-up go for ride, come back and repeat the process in reverse. Way too much hassle that I eventually stopped bother and ride in DeWildt, which is for me the best place to ride in Gauteng (ok near Gauteng). On 500 I wake up whenever I want, gear up at home, have 5 - 6 hour blast on the bike in proper dirt and end up home again. As a result I ride every weekend and get proper red blooded fun without any trailering and early morning hassle, that just isn't warrantied for daily trip.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:46:01 am by Xpat »

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2018, 09:13:54 am »

I do - merrily. Let's use real example - DeWildt in Gauteng (I assume in CT it would be something like Atlantis). It is about 60 - 70 km from Midrand where I live to police station where the fun begins. About half of that commute I can knock off on dirt roads/tracks. And then I can have more or less exactly the same fun as people on full plastics in DeWildt, including riverbeds, whoops up to watertower, etc. The total roundabout trip of over 200km and most of it - timewise, delicious dirt (not dirt road - proper enduro loop) and plated dirt bike is just perfect for that.

Before I had 500, I had 300 for that, that I had to trailer to DeWildt. I had to wake up at 6  weekend, pack all the crap into bakkie, drive 70 km, unpack, gear-up go for ride, come back and repeat the process in reverse. Way too much hassle that I eventually stopped bother and ride in DeWildt, which is for me the best place to ride in Gauteng (ok near Gauteng). On 500 I wake up whenever I want, gear up at home, have 5 - 6 hour blast on the bike in proper dirt and end up home again. As a result I ride every weekend and get proper red blooded fun without any trailering and early morning hassle, that just isn't warrantied for daily trip.

I guess you have a point. I am more inclined towards adventure bikes, and want to have fun in tar as well. but a plated enduro makes sense if the goal is as you say.

how big is the adventure bike spectrum? are there any key things adv bikes need to have, be able to do?
2003 R1150GS