Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cross Cape "uni"Cycle Route 28 May 2018  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Pilchie

Re: Cross Cape "uni"Cycle Route 28 May 2018
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 08:35:04 am »
You definitely deserved the beer.  Hope the weather improves.  Have Fun
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 09:10:38 am »
Good luck budd , I think you lost your mined, but coodose to you for following a dream . :thumleft: not many people do the .......stuff it .....let's do it . well done and safe ride and enjoy.

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 09:13:35 am »
Great stuff Shaun. Have you tried doing a little video of what it looks like riding a fully loaded unicycle? Would be interesting.

Enjoy!

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Can't picture what it looks like in person  :biggrin:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline unishaun

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 12:06:09 pm »
Hey all

Thanks for the support so far. I stopped for a break and lunch at the garden route trail park along the seven passes road now. Still wasn't to do another 15 km today. I will do a full update tomorrow when I hit George.

I will try the video thing and try and post it tomorrow.

Sent from my A8 using Tapatalk

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 12:22:31 pm »
Hey all

Thanks for the support so far. I stopped for a break and lunch at the garden route trail park along the seven passes road now. Still wasn't to do another 15 km today. I will do a full update tomorrow when I hit George.

I will try the video thing and try and post it tomorrow.

Lol I remember that red bridge. Was there 2 weeks ago. My Garmin took us on a route over it but could not get though with the bike. Also we slept over ta the trail park as well. That area is awesome. Enjoy it
Where are my shorts??

Offline unishaun

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:26 pm »
Day 3 and 4 are now done, started in Knysna yesterday and rode via the Phantom pass road and to the Seven passes road. Some wonderful places and roads. Alton (a guy I met on the road) snapped a pic of me and posted it on the Cycle Knysna fb page and it just exploded with a bunch of comments and support. I also meet some friendly cyclists at the top of Phantom pass, and had a long chat to them before parting ways after a few pics. Stopped at the garden route trail park for lunch and a break, before continuing to Toorbos cabins for a goods nighrs rest (with electric blankets).
Then this morning I started early and rode the last 25 km to George, where I got a free lunch from the owner of the shell in town  (Rob), and the LBS owner who is also a Rob is putting me up for the night. Thanks Rob's! Must be a Rob thing;)

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 12:07:34 pm »
Seems you going to have a rough time. You picked some shitty weather to ride into. Keep safe.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 06:03:17 pm »
Epic stuf indeed, enjoy and be safe!  :thumleft:

Offline unishaun

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 08:11:49 am »
Day 5. Rob, my host for the evening, dropped my at the old toll house at the bottom of Montagu pass. Before long though the gradient of the pass was too much to ride, and I began my hiking practice again. Near the top the rain began to really come down, as well as the wind. Riding into Herold, I got blown off a few times. I had to stop as I could not feel my fingers. The tea garden in Herold was closed, but they still made me some hot chocolate and I warmed up by a fire. Carrying on I took a bit a detour to make the last stretch to Oudtshoorn a bit quicker. I pulled into a farm to ask for water, and the farmer informed me I had about 25km to go to town. I had already done 40 km, but thought I may as well push to town. The mud however was crazy, at times it built up so much the wheel would not turn. As chance would have it, about 15km from town, the farmer from earlier can passed and gave me a lift to the nearest pub in town, an offer I could not pass up.

On my way to Calizdorp over the next day or two

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 12:45:06 pm »
got taken out by the wind  :o sterkte!
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline unishaun

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »
got taken out by the wind  :o sterkte!
Ja, not fun

Offline unishaun

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 06:36:11 pm »
Day 6. Plans changed a bit. I was due to ride from Oudtshoorn to Calizdorp north of the R62 over two days. I was looking at the weather reports and the may be a lot of rain tomorrow, so I changed the route a bit and decided to ride to Calizdorp in one go via de Hoop which is a bit shorter, and then rest two days in town before tackling Rooiberg pass on Monday. All I can say is two big days in a row has really taken it out of me. The surrounding scenery is brilliant, but the riding itself is bland and soul destroying. Topical straight, flat karoo  roads. Time for a bit of R&R

Offline daveh

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 08:39:48 pm »
Epic ride thanks for the updates, keep them coming
AT

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2018, 12:22:23 pm »
Hope you enjoyed the rest. You got Rooibergpas done and dusted ?
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
The weather  should  improve so enjoy the rest and keep us posted.  8)
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline unishaun

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2018, 04:37:04 pm »
Hey guys, just got to Riverdale. So I will do a report for the last few days later tonight

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 05:10:07 pm »
Where are you.  Still have a place under roof if you are interested

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline unishaun

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2018, 05:12:10 pm »
Hey Woody completely forgot, in at a b&b at the bottom of town, was only planning on getting here tomorrow

Offline unishaun

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:57 pm »
Okay back to some reports:

Day 7, I took a rest day so no riding for me. Stayed over in Calizdorp at the train station. Had a great day with Dewald (dz1 on the forum) and Irma who I got in contact with through the forum. The Klein Karoo is such a special place and has so much to offer

Offline unishaun

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:31 pm »
Day 8, left Calizdorp in the mist. Saw nothing until I hit the bottom of Rooiberg pass. The climb was a very loose so landed up walking the crap bit. Had an awesome coffee stop at the top of the pass. Met a couple who were traveling around the Karoo, we chatted for ages and they got some nice snaps of me riding. The rest of the ride to Van Wyksdorp was pretty straight forward. There were children playing soccer as I came into town, they landed up running along side me as I made my way to the town centre. Another group of school children were busy singing the national anthem as I rode past. Not a bad way to make an entrance into town.