Cross Cape "uni"Cycle Route 28 May 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unishaun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Okay, so some of you may have seen in the planning section, my thread titled "Cross Cape Cycle Route". This coming Monday I begin my ride and thought I would do a bit f a rolling ride report, nothing too detailed while on route, but something so you can track my progress and see what stupid things I am getting up to. Afterwards I will be doing a full right up (namely for Ride magazine), but I will share that here too. I know this is a bit early to start a report a few days before I even start the ride, typing and getting the ball rolling on my PC is easier than the phone.

So to recap, I will be riding my unicycle from Plett to Stellies along what is known as the Cross Cape Cycle Route. I runs mostly along dirt roads between the N2 and R62 and pops out at a few scenic towns along the way, and I am sure a lot of you would have ride most of this route or sections by motorbike. By bicycle this should take 7-8 days, but seeing as I am on one wheel, I am looking to take around 2 weeks. For the full route check here: https://www.capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cross-cape-route 

I will be doing this by myself, with no back up vehicle etc, and because the distances between towns are too far for me to reach as per normal riding, I will be camping out along the way between major stops. This means I am carrying shelter, food, water and everything else I need to survive for at least 3 days by myself. I am sure there will be a few friendly and helpful locals and farmers along the way, but I can count on that.

Already a few guys here have been kind enough to offer up accommodation at a few stops, which is really appreciated. I look forward to meeting you all soon, and thanks for all the well wishes from various other WD's.

Keep it Wheel!
Unishaun