I got taken out on Thursday: goodbye KTM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lito

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
So I dont know why I write this - more as a cathartic, or because I just want to cry, having seen my bike for the first time in the last hour since the accident.

I am walking now, but without full and proper atgatt, I would still be in hospital, with severe consequences, according to the Fire Truck that came, the Three different companies of paramedics and medical staff. That excludes the 19 towtrucks, and very concerned members of the public.

I was travelling up from a very promising and good meeting in Cape Town, up Waterkant street. As I take off from green robot, all is good, and my Akras are talking. I see the next robot is green, and according to eye witnesses, I accelerate slightly. There is a double intersection (my wording for two cars a side plus parking - Bree Street. Out of the corner of my eye, this bakkie is cruising right through the red robot on his side. I do my best to avoid (anti target fixation), and I angle left.

As I angle, I am braking hard. Hard on the front brakes, and I understand from the screeching, locked on the rear. I connect the bakkie at the front wheel on the left hand side, and because of the braking, I am in a crouched position, weighting backwards. The most awful noise booms and I start flying.

As I do, I notice that theres a company logo on the door or writing on it, and I go over the roof of the bakkie. Over the aerial on the roof of the bakkie if there was one. I just remember clearing it by a good way. That feeling of flying is so cool, so free. But then gravity kicks in a major way, and I come down hard on my left side (as evidenced by body injuries and gear being ripped) and start rolling.

I roll towards the other end of the intersection and come to a stop. The pain is instant and I half sit up to check what the fk that guy was thinking (he was looking at me and grimacing in his face), and then I look to my right and see the robot is still green for me. I collapse on the tar.

I start rolling from the pain, and the public starts screaming and shouting to me - lie still lie down. A chief of the security company runs to me and literally stands in the gap - what a guy - Douw Vermeulen Group4 Securicor - and keeps the bike vultures away, gives me my keys to the bike (I ask for them), phones my mom (how old is she, will she get a heartattack - she had flown in that morning from Denmark) and he gets hold of Leon who I work with to get the bike back to the factory.

The ambulances, fire trucks, etc etc come, strap me up so that I cant move, all I see is glass on the ground, and my bike lying there in a weird way. I am not allowed to move.

After what seems an eternity (I refuse a drip), I am allowed some freedom in the back of the ambulance to the hospital. ALl check are being done, and I am okay except for my legs. I dont let them cut my boots and pants off, although they are very keen to do so. My helmet, gloves and boots are somewhere else, I dont know. Its all gone.

I am asked questions by the cops - the guy driving didnt have his license and is issued a fine. I am 100% sorted out, and so all is good for me. I am still a bit groggy and dont have 100% prescence of mind, but I do tell them my med aid details, etc. They take me to the local hospital at the Waterfront, which I thought was good. I waited 1hr30minutes for xrays, and I then realised why - they took me to the public hospital - Somerset at the Waterfront.

The staff were good though, I thought, and all xrays were given a quick look, no breaks, no fractures. Just severe bone bruising (the shins were 3x their thickness)

My left knee is eina - the tendons and ligaments are eina.

The bike this morning - the Hepco Bekker crashbars are bent inot the tank and fairing and the Hepco Bekker rear panniers are so bent in, that they scored the Akrapovics.

There is a lot wrong with the bike, from rear subframe bent to fork yokes gouged.

heres the most amazing thing: I started her FIRST TIME, even though theres precious little gas in it (tanks are ruptured). I switched her off quickly, as I understand the oil reservoir got buggered up too or even ruptured.

Pictures to come, but I have been shedding a few tears now, as I worked so hard on this baby recently, and now she is likely to be a write off. I miss the Katoom and all that she has done with me.

I spoke with the company MD of the bakkie that wacked me, and he is prepared to replace all clothes etc.

Any advice is welcome, I have never been in an accident before of this nature. What to do etc.

I have naturally got my claim forms, waiting for case number, have hospital number, taping every conversation I have, etc.

Wat nou?

ps: the bakkie is apparently a write off too. The front wheel is bent in and the whole chassis section is bent. The bonnet, mudguard, front bodywork is all seperated from where they are supposed to be, radiator punctured etc. Its a good one.

I still have white paint on my boots where they connected the bakkie. Ford Bantam

Eyewitnesses are plenty, including a cop, and they have all given me affidavits.

I was also in the area in CT, where there are 8 bike shops in a space of 2 blocks, and they all came running to help.

pppps: I went back to the accident scene on Saturday to check it out. I was amazed at the size of the area, and how lekker I fell. I also want to thank the anonymous BMW driver (see they not all bad), who parked right next to me to shield me from other cars.

TracMac and Loncin owners were talking right next to me about that accident they saw on the KTM that was hurt badly, and how the oke didnt break a thing because of all the gear he was wearing. How lucky he was, because of the moera bang that they heard and the damage to the towed away bakkie.