R1200GS ADV DRIVESHAFT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
BMW MOTORRAD

I am an adventure motorcycling enthusiast, using my bike for both commuting and adventure. I switched from orange to blue because I wasn’t comfortable with the level of support as a commuter at the time. I “upgraded” from my F800GSA to a 2017 R1200GSA  demo model with 2000 km in April 2017. I have done one adventure trip to Swaziland and a few one- and two day trips since.  My bike went for its 20 000 km service early May 2018, costing R3 500-00. The brakes had about 20% left. I chose not to add it to the list as it would add another R 3 000-00 to the bill. A week after the service, on my way back from the office the driveshaft packed up and left me standing on the side of the road. This happened on Sunday the 13th of May 2018.

The mechanic eventually replied that, after I asked why they haven’t picked it up when it was serviced less than a week before, that they do not check the drive shafts as the clients are not prepared to pay for the additional labour? The problems with the driveshafts on the LC’s are a common occurrence and one should think that it should be a standard part of the maintenance service routine?

My brother, a fellow LC owner had such a big fright and booked his bike for a check straightaway. R350 to check... at the same dealer. It turned out that his driveshaft (+/- 2014 model) started corroding and would cost R14 000 to fix. Luckily he was proactive, because it could cost him R40 000 as that is what they reckon my damage is?  Even if BMW are prepared to fix all of this under warranty, it remains disappointing than it is not being dealt with proactively, starting at the dealers.

I feel like, as a consumer, I have done all I can to maintain my bike by sending it for its services on time, and doing pre-trip inspections? I will be without wheels for at least 3 weeks.