Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: To ABS or not to ABS?  (Read 917 times)

Offline Scalpel

To ABS or not to ABS?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:27:15 am »
Hi Guys

Iam new to this forum, but so far Iam enjoying reading of all the adventures and rides.

Iam in the process of trying to get my hands on a 1200gs Adventure. Local dealers in PTA gan help me at the end of November, but my ar#$% is itching. I can get a non ABS bike earlier.

Does ABS make that big a difference? Must I rather wait for November or must I scratch my itch with a non ABS bike earlier?

Your advice and wisdom on this will be appreciated!
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

masehare

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:36:52 am »
Best to let LuckyStriker answer this one. He got himself the non-ABS one. The only draw back is no ABS = no heated grips. And do you really want frozen fingers after driving such a magnificent machine?  :)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:43:33 am »
welcome to the forum!
if i were to get such a bike, or any bigger bike for that matter, abs would be high on the priority list. if it saves you from a sticky situation just once, or not even save you, but merely assists you in not having too many sphincter moments on rides, i'd say it is worth it. but, it remains an issue of personal choice. it would be interesting to hear comments from riders who had abs on his/her bike but subsenquently changed to non-abs.

Uncle Bob

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:56:28 am »
Stick it out and wait for the ABS model, i was on Kyalami this weekend and could easily outbreak Ducatis in corners, and heated grips a very good idea.

This is one of those instances where " goedkoop koop is duur koop " could really apply, besides November is just around the corner.

My 2c worth.

Offline Grondpad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:56:29 am »
Welcome to the forum!

I would never ever, ever buy a bike without ABS.  I believe it is a lifesaver!   8)

Offline Ned_da_biker

• Pack Dog
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:41:52 am »
Welcome Scalpel,

So jys bloody skerp?! :lol:

I Got the old Adventure without ABS my dad got the one with ABS, I love the Non ABS thing, going from tar to dirt is sooooo easy. And the heated handgrips... i installed myself. Now i love those, they are the best thing since sliced bread.
But then again i guess ABS is a life saver on tar.... :?
ome mistakes are too much fun to only make once. :-)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:57:09 am »
In the dry with ABS, under hard braking, the brakes do tend to "let go" a bit, I think it partly due to the TKC's, but I still hate that feeling. Personally I think ABS is only necessary in the wet. Then again, the GS is a heavy bike & need all the help it can get to stop safely. Rather have it & not use it than be in a situasion where it could have safed your life.

Wait for the ABS
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:12:02 am »
aybee-es schmaybee-es..... :roll:

just get the bike already!!!!

Offline Rexc-w

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:24:26 am »
My Dakar was without ABS, and I was happy with that.  On a big girl like the GS-A I do prefer to have the ABS for that one time when you might not have enough time to do things right.

From a 're-sale' point of view, I would have sold the dakar a lot quicker if it had ABS and Heated grips.
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, BMW R1200 GS Rallye (Sport) - 2017, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:35:21 am »
It depends on what you are going to use the bike for.

ABS on dirt is a really bad idea.
ABS on tar is a really good idea.

I know you can deactivate the ABS but trust me, you will forget one day and fall your moer of just like that RT rider who swerved and hit the dirt strip next to the road...

My GSA has no ABS and the brakes feel better. I also believe I will stop in a shorter distance than an ABS bike. There is also no risk of ABS failure.
However. I was once saved by ABS on my previous bike...so I owe it some respect at least.

Resale on an ABS equipped bike is better but any experienced rider of both dirt and track will tell you ABS is a load of poo... There are times when you actually need to lock up your rear.

Make up your own mind but I say, go for the non-ABS one!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 10:55:45 am »
I have ABS, not an issue for me, would prefer not to have it, weight complication etc.

But, I would not be without heated grips.

What is the relationship, between ABS and heated grips! Seems silly to me.

Welsh  8)
Putting the Drunken Pagan Debauchery back into Christmas.

shark_za

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:02:38 am »
Unlike you capetonians, my rear is always locked.

On the subject of ABS, I'd be happy with either, ABS creates a false sense of security on the road and people tend to ride faster than they should cos they know they can stop.
I look at the surface I'm riding on , every now and then hit the rear brake hard to feel what it does etc.

Riding a lot offroad you tend to enjoy the grip tar gives you over dirt, and ABS is overkill.

Offline Scalpel

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 11:40:47 am »
Dont know about the sharp though! You guys are all making valid and good points! Even confusing me more, but I have to make that decision!

Good question in why heated grips is only an option on ABS bikes?
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 11:45:53 am »
My Dakar's got heated grips. No ABS.  :?  The ABS and heated grips option gets listed separtely for the R series as well.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 11:52:23 am »
one thing you should know of this forum - the law of averages will determine everytime, that you get an equally convincing argument from both sides of the spectrum - leading to severe confusion and indecisiveness  :lol:  :lol:   :lol:

so

what

it

boils

down

to

is

this

DO YOU WANT THE BIKE NOW, OR NOT?!?!?!?!  :twisted:

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 11:53:36 am »
According to my dealership the control unit on the left grip shares one plug between all the buttons and the single wire loom.
When the onboard computer detects a contol unit with an grip heater switch it assumes that ABS is also fitted. If it fails to detect ABS it will cause an error.
A simple software patch should rectify this problem but none is currently available. You will also have a right hand side control unit with a dummy ABS button.

The HP2 does not come with ABS but heated grips is an option. I suppose it is possible to have its control unit installed on a GSA but I'm not sure if it will fit.

It is worth researching

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 12:15:34 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Unlike you capetonians, my rear is always locked. .

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :D  :D
Shark that was the funniest thing I read all day , you own me a keyboard this thing is now full off coffee

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Grootseun

To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 12:16:05 pm »
ABS does not make you stop faster than braking with no abs....it just keeps the wheel from locking up thus the bike keeps on going in a straight line giving you control. A skilled rider like LS said will be able to do just as well with/without ABS.. i prefer it, i am fully aware of the restrictions of having abs and switching it on/off is a matter of seconds. I like it and will not have a bike without it... and then theres the heated grip jobbies as well. man they rule..

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
To ABS or not to ABS?
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 01:38:37 pm »
i would go for abs
being the dumbass i sometimes am, :oops:
 after changing the rear tyre on my 1150 gsa i couldnt remember what the torque setting was so i just tightened the rear wheelnuts moer of a tight and thought i will check when i get home and then torque properly to the bolts
long story short me and masehare and valli go for a ride on womens day to paarl and something doesnt feel right on the back of the bike
so i think maybe wheel badly out of balance so i take of the weights that i left on after changing the tyre
nope doesnt go away
so i think bugger it i go home and get it balanced in the week
so riding slightly fast back home i notice my abs light flashing as i see this bike starts to feel stange so i stopped immediately
i thought the final drive bearing just crapped
but no the bolts were falling out  :shock:
two were very far and to about half so
the abs sensor was triggering a fault as the wheel was wobbeling
other thaan that
i havent noticed a huge difference in my ability to stop a whole lot better
with abs but i reckon riding two up especially
if i need it only once in my life and i have it it is more than ten times what they charge
my 2c
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln