990 revs high in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDak

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hoping someone has an idea about what this can be.

2007 990 adv
72000km

Bike started reving high all of a sudden on a ride and turning off the ignition made no difference.

Next morning same thing, but if I put the bike in neutral the revs take about 10 seconds to drop away.

When I start the bike in neutral it will rev to 4 or 5k rpm then settle back to normal idle gradually after about 10 to 15 seconds.

After that if I put the bike back in gear the revs run away again after a few seconds and can get them to drop again if put into neutral.

Had a tps issue about a year back which was replaced and been fine since.

Noticed my clutch switch hasn't been working for about 6 months but didn't cause any issues that I noticed except not being able to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in.

I replaced the switch and tested it as working on tune way and starting the bike in gear with clutch pulled in.

I have reset the bike and done the 15 min idle but doesn't help, no error codes showing. Checked the slack on the throttle cables all fine. Tps voltage does go up a bit when the bikes reving high and drops to normal at idle.

Just baffles me...why in gear

Is this just another faulty tps?