Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BEFORE YOU BUY AN 800GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS  (Read 610 times)

Offline masehare

BEFORE YOU BUY AN 800GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »
Ok if a commoner starts this thread?

Say I was in the market for an 800GS, and I'm not saying I am, what should one look out for? What are the common niggles?
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Online Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: BEFORE YOU BUY AN 800GS/ADV LOOK OUT FOR THIS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:39:09 pm »

Say I was in the market for an 800GS, and I'm not saying I am, what should one look out for? What are the common niggles?

If the 850gs isn't already standing next to it  ;)
:downtown:
bmw 800gs  
honda nc700 (sold)
vuka 110 (sold)

Offline masehare

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:37 pm »

I would have laughed if there wasn't a 900GS arriving soon.
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08:17 pm »

Quote from: masehare on Today at 01:33:51 pm>Ok if a commoner starts this thread?

A SMALL issue, but they can (and do) suffer from bent shock bolts (rear shock, obviously), take a look when buying an 800 - easy fix, for not much money, fix consists of purpose-built shock-spacer, as well as a better-quality bolt.
Fuel pumps can be problematic - best to keep them covered in fuel (they are an immersive-type pump), since fuel COOLS the pump, so best not to run the fuel too low, too frequently...
then, check front rim for SMILEYS; the rim is made from strong cardboard OR thin spaghetti - depends on the model year, and gets dinged EASILY!
Many, many riders replace from rim primarily with EXCEL rim, or there are one or two others...
TIED to the cardboard rim, are the spaghetti front forks, which, when grabbing a handful of front brake,  can dive precipitously, and many riders swap out the OEM springs (you can see them in Checkers and Pick 'n Pay and Spar - called Fushili Longi, or LONG Fusili...): these are mostly replaced with after-market springs called PROGRESSIVE springs; they make a big difference to ride quality, etc.
Cheers, Chris

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:44 pm »

Right now - resale values
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline masehare

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 08:49:42 pm »

Quote from: masehare on Today at 01:33:51 pm>Ok if a commoner starts this thread?

A SMALL issue, but they can (and do) suffer from bent shock bolts (rear shock, obviously), take a look when buying an 800 - easy fix, for not much money, fix consists of purpose-built shock-spacer, as well as a better-quality bolt.
Fuel pumps can be problematic - best to keep them covered in fuel (they are an immersive-type pump), since fuel COOLS the pump, so best not to run the fuel too low, too frequently...
then, check front rim for SMILEYS; the rim is made from strong cardboard OR thin spaghetti - depends on the model year, and gets dinged EASILY!
Many, many riders replace from rim primarily with EXCEL rim, or there are one or two others...
TIED to the cardboard rim, are the spaghetti front forks, which, when grabbing a handful of front brake,  can dive precipitously, and many riders swap out the OEM springs (you can see them in Checkers and Pick 'n Pay and Spar - called Fushili Longi, or LONG Fusili...): these are mostly replaced with after-market springs called PROGRESSIVE springs; they make a big difference to ride quality, etc.
Cheers, Chris

;D

Do you know if BMW addressed the front forks in any specific year model?
Profile for wepenerc100

Offline masehare

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:25 pm »

Fark sakes, you're right! I only saw the 850GS now. One can never keep up...
Profile for wepenerc100

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:42 pm »
Some late models have oilpump problems and a gear failure - drive gear (broken) which is located somewhere behind the clutch basket. I stumbled upon this a while ago after telling someone how reliable (I thought  :peepwall: ) the GS800 was.