Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Skippers ticket requirements  (Read 492 times)

Offline Carl84

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
Skippers ticket requirements
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:53:22 pm »
Hi sailing dogs.

Can one of you please shed some light on the skippers ticket requirements. From what I can gather if the sailing boat is smaller than 9 meters I can sail it without a skippers/COC even on the ocean? The day skippers is only required of the boat exceeds 9 meters?

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles
    • View Profile
Re: Skippers ticket requirements
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:45:13 pm »
Pm skipskop im sure he could advise you

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »
Nope, not allowed to skip any vessel in the ocean without a license no matter the size. I don't recall what the code of the license I have is but it was easy and allows me up to 5km out on any vessel, only a day course.

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 12:42:35 am »
You require a licence for a boat over 9 meters  or have a motor over 15hp.  See the statement on the SAS website.

Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline subie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 06:12:47 am »
Hi sailing dogs.

Can one of you please shed some light on the skippers ticket requirements. From what I can gather if the sailing boat is smaller than 9 meters I can sail it without a skippers/COC even on the ocean? The day skippers is only required of the boat exceeds 9 meters?

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

Hello Carl
No skippers ticket is needed to sail  a sailboat under 9m with an engine less than 15 hp at sea.
No qualification or course needed.
When you have your boat inspected for its COF (certificate of fitness )  you will get a certificate which is like a license
allowing your boat to sail in one of the categories. Depending on equipment etc. You can look up the different categories ,as
1ougat stated ,on the SAS site.
The rules even exempt under 9m from having a COF but this is to crazy for me. Get a COF even if it is just to ensure you have the basic safety equipment on board.  Do all you can to ensure your boat is seaworthy. Sail conservatively well within your experience and capabilities. Baby steps. Take a keen interest and learn as much as you can about the weather.
For me as a beginner sailor myself I find sailing tough with lots of hardships. I enjoy it very much. But have experienced very little of the comfortable sipping drinks on deck watching fantastic sunsets.
Be aware that some clubs and harbourmasters might require stricter rules from you and your under 9m boat.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 06:16:30 am »
What about taking a kayak to sea? Any certification required?

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:12:26 am »
Hi even though you do not need a COF for a boat under 9 meters it still needs to be seaworthy - that is the responsibility of you as the one that is in charge. So at a minimum you would need life jackets for your tender etc.
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:48:09 am »
This, by comparison to Skiboat requirements makes no sense ? Yet is exposed to similar risks.
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:34 am »
http://miasa.co.za/samsa-south-african-maritme-safety-authority/#skippers     SAMSA information .....has all you need to know. :thumleft:

PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline subie

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 09:41:33 am »
http://miasa.co.za/samsa-south-african-maritme-safety-authority/#skippers     SAMSA information .....has all you need to know. :thumleft:

Thank you for the link Coxwain.
Vlekkie your question about the kayak is also answered in the link.

1.Power driven boats of 15hp or less, sailing vessels of 9 metres or less in length and vessels propelled by human power, along are self-regulated and are not subject to statutory surveys, but must still carry the regulated safety equipment.
2.Skippers of pleasure vessels being sailing vessels of more than 9 meters in overall length or power driven vessels of more than 15hp require a Small Vessel Certificate of Competence.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:04 am »

1.Power driven boats of 15hp or less, sailing vessels of 9 metres or less in length and vessels propelled by human power, along are self-regulated and are not subject to statutory surveys, but must still carry the regulated safety equipment.
2.Skippers of pleasure vessels being sailing vessels of more than 9 meters in overall length or power driven vessels of more than 15hp require a Small Vessel Certificate of Competence.

Ok thx!  So regulated safety equipment is a life jacket or would you need more on a human propelled vessel?

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • The past is a foreign country
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:57:04 am »
The exception to not holding a coastal skippers if you are launching/sailing offshore is if you are competing or participating in a sailing event where the yacht club has safety vessels present. If you have to ask this question then I think this is where you should be. Things can go very wrong very quickly offshore and usually to the unaware.
Rule #12// The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Offline subie

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:09:28 am »

Ok thx!  So regulated safety equipment is a life jacket or would you need more on a human propelled vessel?

Dont know how you make the "connection" that regulated safety equipment is only a life jacket  :sip:
Lots of typing my friend .Sorry one finger typer  :lol8:
 Just go and read up on it. We have provided you the links to start of your research.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01:06 am »

Dont know how you make the "connection" that regulated safety equipment is only a life jacket  :sip:
Lots of typing my friend .Sorry one finger typer  :lol8:
 Just go and read up on it. We have provided you the links to start of your research.

Ok will do - a lot to learn I suppose.  My "connection" coming from the fact that from what I have seen most people do is take a kayak with a paddle and a life jacket - I ask because I don't know.  Will read the links when I have more time.

Offline Coxwain

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 11:15:53 am »
If you are going to sea, let your local NSRI station know about it. They appreciate your diligence and it may save your life one day.
Speak to the duty coxswain or the station commander.
PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline Carl84

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 01:15:42 pm »
Thank you for the replies. So in summary one could take a 25 foot yacht and sail it from Durban to Cape Town without a skippers just ensuring one has all the safety gear etc. This probably would be dumb and reckless but not illegal....?

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:26:43 pm »
Yes in short that is correct but a lot more acceptable than the original approach about 10 years ago where even your kyak and your hoby  needed a cof ... so 100 years ago you used your common sence and I suggest that you still do - no licence can replace that . So even though you can do as you say common sense would dictate that you should at least do a day skipper ... but commen sense would also dictate that you dont need it if you just sail every Sunday for an hour or 2 .
SO probably at the end a good compromise  :thumleft:
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic

The following users thanked this post: subie