Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tubeless options for a Tiger 800  (Read 637 times)

Online DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Tubeless options for a Tiger 800
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »
I am pretty sure this has been discussed before and I will make time to go trolling through posts as I have time but the question is:

Since my first intro to the Tiger 800 in 2013/4, my only gripe with the Tiger 800 has been the tubes, and today I sat for just under 2 hours on the side of the freeway with a front flat (a puncture while lane splitting gets interesting), has made me a bit more determined to investigate this.

The tools that come with the Tiger are not sufficient to remove the front wheel either so some extra tools are required.

What options do you have to go tubeliss or at least reasonably puncture proof a Tiger 800 and how successfull are they?
My bike needs to pretty much be a 50/50 bike and able to do longish distances, the "offroad" is not going to be terribly technical or high speed, mostly gravel and servitude roads.

Thanks
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
Re: Tubeless options for a Tiger 800
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »
You can go Tubeless , but my scare is if that spike goes thru you are not just screwed but screwed and in pain.
Basic Tools is 27 Spanner for the rear, Tire levers 2, 11Len-Key Front and 6Lenkeys for those two nuts.
I take tubes with, But work and back is a bitc.... I have tires at the office and tools.
ITS getting there that's the problem.
I hate tire fill crap lube but.....

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »
11  or 17 KNOW its a BIG ONE.
Will find out if you really need the size.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline McKracken

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:51 pm »
It's a 17mm allen bolt, a good substitute is a bolt with a 17mm head and a pair of nuts to lock it. Then all you need is a shifter or a spanner.
As for tubless, I'm going to do it once the warranty is up. There's a lot of info on how to do it on the ADV rider forum, also the KTM guys have done it a fair bit. It usually involves  a 3m sealant that closes the spoke holes in the rim.
I know that it has been done with polyurathane paint that you use to line the bakkie backs. It has held up for years.
You'll see a lot about pros and cons, but despite what everyone says tubes can deflate just as fast as tubeless.
Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline G@dget

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
I ordered these - delivered without issues. Just need to fit them now

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:55:03 am »

Quote from: DouglasN on Yesterday at 04:03:48 pm>I am pretty sure this has been discussed before and I will make time to go trolling through posts as I have time but the question is:

Since my first intro to the Tiger 800 in 2013/4, my only gripe with the Tiger 800 has been the tubes, and today I sat for just under 2 hours on the side of the freeway with a front flat (a puncture while lane splitting gets interesting), has made me a bit more determined to investigate this.

The tools that come with the Tiger are not sufficient to remove the front wheel either so some extra tools are required.

What options do you have to go tubeliss or at least reasonably puncture proof a Tiger 800 and how successfull are they?
My bike needs to pretty much be a 50/50 bike and able to do longish distances, the "offroad" is not going to be terribly technical or high speed, mostly gravel and servitude roads.

Thanks

Lots of people going to 'shudder' here, but here goes!
We have had a chap in Hermanus do say around 15 tubeless conversions to mostly 800GS's (no Triumph's yet), with good success, going the Sikaflax route, usually NEW tyres (so the bead is perfect/near-perfect), and the fitment chap actually lightly sands the rim, both for Sikaflex adhesion as well as for a snug, leak-free fit...
There ARE drawbacks, as many will mention; simply put, if you are aware of the risks, (and rewards), and wish to try, then you can SPEAK to this chap and find out more...the BEST solution is PROPER tubeless rims, from a company such as SGS or similar.
My 5 c, have done it on my own 450, and works well, up to a point, and I DO use rim-locks as well...
Chris

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Online DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:22:53 am »
Thanks for the info guys, seems there is some research to be done.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline sackett

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:47 pm »
Gadget - how did that Outflex system hold up - seems interesting enough to give it a go - was it worth the 1500 or so bikebuks?
Previously owned: Yamaha XT250, Honda XL500R, Yamaha XT600 Tenere, then moved over to the Dark Side with a great classic: Honda CB750F - all sold unfortunately.  Currently have a '14 Triumph 800XC and restoring a 2010 Tenere 660Z.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:10 am »
Following this, would love to fit Tubliss in my Girlfriends Africa Twin.
The thought of having to fix tubes on the side of the road does not tickle my fancy
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online BLK

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:47 am »
Get hold of Cytek in JHB south.They will do the conversion for you.Cost about  R2000.00 or else its a F850gs.

The following users thanked this post: GIDEON, Mikie, DouglasN, sackett