Verneukpan 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Verneukpan according to Google is:

Verneukpan is a widespread dry salt pan south of Kenhardt, between Swartkop and Diemansput in the Northern Cape, South Africa. Verneuk is Afrikaans for to trick, mislead, screw or swindle. The pan is used for aerotowing operations. During the rainy seasons many birds flock to the pans, when they contain water.

The date was set and thanks to Hinksding the knitty gritties would be arranged.
The fact that his RR on his epic journey was not finished would be overlooked due to his commitment to get everything in place during lamb season.

On Thursday Transporter made it to my place with his ADV and made it just as the Karoo was getting dark and cold.  After spilling oil all over my driveway and profusely apologising  :deal: :deal: for it we had our first braai of many for the following couple of days.

IMG_3163 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_3167 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

The plan was to leave Colesberg the afternoon and get to Tribe’s place by dark but he enticed us to get there early with the words “wheelie machine”.
We left Colesberg mid morning and took a nice scenic ride too Hanover.

IMG_7288 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7290 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7292 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I have often heard about how beautiful their Dutch Reform Church was and we decided to go have a look.  When we stopped there the caretaker told us we could have a look inside and promptly told us all he knew about the church.  Funny how a friendly face could nullify all the anger we on a cross race base feel these days.  :thumleft:

IMG_7310 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7311 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7294 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Looks like Cinderella’s castle from outside.

IMG_7295 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7296 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7297 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7299 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

After laying down a inspiring sermon with my old trusty pianist we walked around admiring the history in the building.

IMG_7301 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7300 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7302 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7303 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7304 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7308 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We headed for Richmond.

IMG_7313 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7315 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7317 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I have often wondered about a huge dam that was built between Hanover and Richmond and when passing the farm noticed the farmer in the land. We stopped and enquired about it.  It was built somewhere in the 1960’s and was built by the government as a erosion buffer.  None the less he now had a proper wall to retain water and serve as a dam and feed his underground waters.  :thumleft:

After a nice chat we had a look at the dam and Chris tried his best to lift the level. :pot:

IMG_7322 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7326 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7327 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

Wildlife was plentiful all along the way with PLENTY of warthogs in the road.  Stopping at a nice spot waiting for Chris to take a photo he was photo bombed by ‘n “draadmaker” coming pas.  :laughing4: :laughing4:
Only in the Karoo.

IMG_7319 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7321 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

The pies in Richmond were to say the least dodgy so much so we even thought about supporting one of the locals that started a small business selling food to the truckers at one of their pull off areas.
I have huge respect for someone who at least tries to uplift themselves through work  :thumleft:

IMG_7329 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

We had time so decided to take a ride through the town.  It amazed me these were not pried loose already for scrap metal.  :patch:

IMG_7330 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7331 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7332 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7335 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_7336 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr