Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Rebel tour  (Read 878 times)

Offline MRK Miller

The Rebel tour
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:22 am »
Letting someone down because of your incompetence is pretty bad, but having someone there to turn it into something positive is really a God sent. BUT  Loosing someone really dear to you and not being able to contact them because off your sloppiness and having to be totally reliant on God to sort it out, like in the old days before cell phones, that really puts you to the test, Which I failed rather miserably. A hard lesson learnt. Another lesson learned, is that He sometimes sends the most unlikely angels to help you out even though you are a wise ass
But like someone said, lets rather focus on the positive, and forget about the negative for the moment.
My Dad always taught me if you make a promise, God expects you to keep it. That is part of His negotiations you might say, so careful what you promise.
Well i promised my son if he picked up his average on his school report I would take him on a motorcycle adventure trip. He is pretty passionate about bike riding. He also has a real laid back style of riding.
So he did his part of the bargain and now it was my turn to live up to mine. Orry pass had been in my sights for a while now so we started working out a route. Being that my Son is only 16 years of age and does not have a license for the  650 klr as yet, we decided to name it the rebel tour.
Of course as it goes in any great family, if big brother goes with, little brother must also go with.
Then a route was planned, and planned again, and planned again, and so on and so on. I have as usual a few trusty companions' whom I told about the plans in order to have a bit of a group which will hopefully deter traffic officials from pulling us of, so pray that would work
In my planning I pick up a few 4x4 routes and thought to myself, how rough can it really be. In my excitement I let slip my plans to some other adventurers, aka Dr klr, and  he urges me to please leave out the 4x4 part, since I will be having my son on pillion, and it is really tough, but everyone knows how a wise ass thinks.  Ha they think they know everything. So Mnr adventure rider extraordinary Dr klr,  decides he/they  will go with and go show me/us what 4x4 routing is all about, and gets his own Ďrecoveryí team together.  Claudio and Lee, Doc and Sandy, Mnr "T", Tinton, and Jimmy was not going to be left behind. Not only for the possible machine breakdowns but they have a very wide variety of talents for all sorts of recoveries, which we  will pick up as we go. The night before we do a trail run with bikes packed and everybody onboard to make sure everything is in place.

Eben complains the extensions on the rear foot pegs I made for him, is to far under my bag on which he sits to elevate him so he can look over my shoulder at where we are going, which will hopefully make him more part of the trip, compared to him looking into my back all the time. So a quick adjustment is made via grinder and welding machine. I know taking him as pillion, elevated is going to hamper my control over the bike, but making this trip something to remember for him is more important to me, than giving Alfi cox a run for his money
So 5 of us Keith; Eben(pillion); Rikus; Hennie and Niklaas depart from Springs on 10/04/2017 as early as possible, barring the fact that Hennie is fresh from 12 hours night shift.
 We head for Bronkhorstspruit and decide to cut out a piece of gravel due to light restrictions and heavy fog, and take the N12 till we get R 42. Through Bronkies  (slang), 5km on we take a break and go through a few checks. It pays of as we found the chain on Hennie's bike is a bit tight and the adjustment is made while some of us add unwanted advise and relieve ourselves from early morning koffie.
 22km onwards we turn right onto gravel towards Zusterstroom. The road is well set with damp but not wet on the surface. Pretty soon I grab myself back to reality from the beauty that surrounds us, and the Baboons crossing the road in true african style(padestrians have right of way), and i have to slam on the brakes, as a mud puddle covering the hole road, and pretty wide, suddenly appears magically before me. Easy on the front and harder on the back, keeping in mind Eben is on the back.
We don't succeed in stopping but slow down enough just to get water splashed into my boots. No surprises in there and a thanks goes unto God, as I have seen people hitting big, deep surprises in these puddles. Have to stay alert and take it a bit easier.  We stop for a quick brake to listen to the sound of silence Led on by the song of the birds and  the barking/screaming of some baboons. A. Few picks are taken, then we head of again  We get a few more puddles on the way, but nothing as serious. For the rest it was just really nice scenery. We cross the Wilge river, and pass quite a few weekend getaway places. So many break away places so close to home that you donít know off.
We reach the tar road for a left turn till we slap a right 5km onward. Awesome views greet us as hills just seem toe role out in front of us.
More nice gravel and some really nice viewpoints. We reach a river and I want to stop for a pic. Hennie was close behind me and flying for some or other reason. Perhaps he was enjoying the scenery, as he does not find his brakes it time, and squeezes by on my LEFT and barely makes it unto the bridge. Close call. We have a quick laugh over the incident, I take my pic and we head on.
On the top myself and Rikus stop for some pic's of the view, and the three boys on there first of many trips.
Op God vertrou ons vir wysheid om Sy wil te aanvaar

The following users thanked this post: >Herman<

Offline Hotwire

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • https://capitalist.org.za/
Re: The Rebel tour
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:48:58 am »
Great Report!!!!!

Always nice to have the little one's with, they enjoy it very much, my daughter of 10 always want ride with me, even if she can go around the block, she is first on the bike then I need to ask her to give me chance to latch on the bike first....

But great you had a good adventure with your son, he will remeber it for ever...

Great photo's, keen on reading further...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:09:24 am by Hotwire »
BMW R1200GS; Honda XL185s; BMW F650GS(Sold); Suzuki GSXR_400(Sold); Suzuki GSXR_750(Pre-Sling)(Swopped); Jonway Scooter_125(Sold); Honda MBX_50(CR60_conversion)(Sold)

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:07:41 am »
We meet Hennie and Niklaas further on where they video us as we pass.  This road also takes on the north western fence of the Loskop game reserve but we sadly don't see any game
We reach a T-junction and first take a wrong left turn, in my campaign to learn/ understand the gps and still working on the fact to trust my ability with it. I have also learned that if you put the way point on the wrong side of the t-junction that is where it will take you just to do a U-turn 10 meterís or so onward. But Hennie and his phone to the rescue. So we head off left towards Loskop dam nature reserve with some awesome view's. Rikus just keeps impressing with his riding skills and, I at times I find myself intimidated, but in the same extremely proud of him. Eben is full of life, and hiper excited. He knocks on my helmet every so often and points in a direction. I am surprised as he notices some nice scenery. We hit tar again, and again go right toward Loskop dam wall, and the north eastern border of the reserve. We were supposed to turn off to the left  just before we hit the shop's at Loskop. But Hennie and Niklaas had arrangements to meet up with Lou who came up from Middelburg and show of his new ride, and to drop of a rear wheel for Niklaas's bike. We pull in at the shops and we all take the chance to get some refreshments for the road ahead.
Hennie and  I also looking for fuel and find the closest fuel station is Aventura Loskop dam.
After a rather long stop we head out for the fuel. This is a alteration to my planned route so the gps is recalculating all the time, causing my birdy to fall of the branch as well, but the ride past the dam is awesome and coming up the dam wall and then reaching a point where you are straight in line with the water level was really cool. Unfortunately the action cam did not catch that part. And as there were road works, no place to stop. I also see a  place where we as children had some awesome fun. It is the old camp for the people who worked on the dam wall years back. My Grandfather Miller was part of that team, and we had really great fun times visiting there. We turn into Adventure to fill up with fuel among the caravans.
From there we head out to where Lou leads us. We reach a point where the gps urges me to turn left but there is a gate so we press on. Lou is leading the way since he is a local. A km or so he indicates turn left onto the gravel. Really nice scenery in the area. We are on the lookout for game but the loudness of some of the bikes probably scare them away. We reach a T- junction, and once again my gps urges, actually screams at me to turn left, but majority rules and once again trust in my gps is nonexistent, and I follow as we head toward Middelburg. Later I would discover this was actually part of my return route. But we are heading in sort of the right direction according to Google earth. After a while we discover our mistake and turn around to take a left which has the poor gps now totally confuse and probably very disgusted with me after it told us to take a right when we first approached. We head out and somewhere on that road Lou figures he is now heading away from home, and with rain looming in the distance, he was still supposed to get some supplies for the misses.
We reach a point where the gravel turn's in the direction of the tar and start a stunning descent, which would teach me another lesson on the way back,  but we will get to that. We reach the tar and find we are really a bit behind  time and hit the tar left toward Steelpoort, gunning it a bit at 110km/h.

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:21 am »
On the way we pass a dam. A dam which is not really old(sources say about 4 years old) and on the maps still show the roads going through the dam although it does show the dam.
De hoop dam, known for big bass for which we came prepared, with rods and lures. If you look at the dam you understand why it is bass heaven, with all the tree structure's in the dam, dead trees sticking out all along the edge's till quite deep into the dam. It is pretty late but we decide to check out the dam. The security is a bit reluctant but eventually lets us in for a peed at the dam, little knowing we have bigger plans. We go over a small hill and the dam stretches out in front of us and we park on the hill. Rikus takes off the fishing rods and I am at the dam first. The water is super clear and even if you walk in the water there is no dust or mud clouds following in the water. First cast, I start to real, stuck, dammit, probably a branch, but then the branch shoots of to the right. Fish on yea. Get it out not big but a fish is a fish.
I keep a close eye on the boys and the water and the area as they warn about hippo's. I hand the rod to Hennie so that we all get a shot at it. Hennie pockets a few then Eben but he is not successful. Rikus also pockets a few, as usual.
Not sure what Niklaas did. It is hot and the boy's go for a quick dip at which the security came looking for us, and urging us that it is time to move out. We pack up and reward the security with some incentive for letting us in. In the meantime Mnr adventure(Doc) who trailored the bikes up with the rest of the rescue party, wants to know where we are and what time we will be at the meeting place. Between Hennie and Doc they make arrangement with drop points for maps ext. We head out for Burgers fort where we stock up fuel and something to eat for the night.

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline Mooch

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 11:19:16 am »
Lekker stuff man!
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline ROOI

• XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:44:30 pm »
Sub I see the pictures are named Penge weekend  :lol8:
FTS

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 07:42:19 pm »

Attention to detail :laughing4:. Thank you. i will change it

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
Nice trip, enjoying riding with. :thumleft: :sip:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 10:50:28 pm »
From there we head to Penge and then through to the Olifants river shores where we will camp for the knight.
Penge like Diepgezegt is a abandoned asbestos mine, but here they battle somewhat more to get the people out and the town is still very much alive. Actually it seems in spots they are expanding. The sun has disappeared behind the mountains as we make our way along the river. Stunning scenery, till we reach this steel bridge. Photos taken next morning. Two bikes can cross but only one vehicle at a time. On the other side we ride for a while and figure we had passed. Hennie rides with the phone in hand leading to the drop point, and soon we see lights coming our way. Doc's Pajero. We follow to where they are camped and had to cross a sand bed. Fun in the dark. No pic's though but it was hard fun with lot of sweating as it was nice and warm up north and all were tired by now. Even Eben was helping his dad trying  to push the bike. O sorry he corrects me. First pick up the bike after a soft landing in the sand then pushing the bike. He has developed the method of jumping when we go down. Please don't make assumptions. LOL
We pitch our tents and get invited to dinner courtesy of our recovery team whom really entertained us on the two nights, not only food wise but some really great discussions and chats. We chat well, eat well and sleep well. Eben was really pumped up with excitement like a little gummy bear and we eventually got him to sleep. Early next morning we were up excited to see our surroundings in daylight as we arrived in the dark. Then it suddenly struck me. We forgot possibly the most important of all you have in your pack. Lucky for me Nicklaas remembered and had a special brand that he left out for the night on the back of his bike.
God always seems to come to the rescue, sometimes in the weirdest ways, but I am grateful none the less. That left there, the boys started the fire, and got the kettle going, we take some pic's and proceed with packing up, under the watchful eye of some visitors on the cliffs.
 Eben in the mean time has made some friends and enjoying the river. Rikus and myself also use the opportunity to wash of some dust. Doc, Sandy with Mnr "T" and Tinton, join and we are all having a good time. For me, i am used to waking up in the morning, getting the kettle started and then pack up, have some coffee with rusk, and then continue on the adventure, but these people seem to have a different idea. Since they know the route and the area, i abide by there ways.

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 10:58:22 pm »
By midday we are all packet but the Pajero and Claudio are reluctant to leave and we have to help them through the sand. We are left to organize the bikes and also get going, It takes a bit of a team effort but we manage ok.
Can imagine if you get caught here alone. First stop, the steel bridge, we crossed last night, twice. We spot the original trolley used to ferry groceries we presume across the river. Also the ID plate is there. We spot something looking like a camping spot with ablutions on the other side of the bridge.
There is also two pools but not big. Almost like saunas. We then leave after snapping a few pic's to meet Doc and team in Penge where they will leave the trailer they brought the bikes on.  On the way we find a road kill. Well almost dead I would say. Some locals stay to make sure. We keep our distance, but Nicklaas who according to us has some kind of death wish, and moves in closer to show off the length of the snake.
We find the bikes offloaded, and Doc working on his bikes carburetor. In the morning it was reluctant to start, but after he had done the route to Mafefe previously, I suspect God had a plan. We load everything get some exstra snacks and fill up the fuel, and hit the road.
6 bikes and two 4x4's. Lee in one and Doc and Sandy in the other. It is a pretty tricky road with loose stones and lots of dust. I take it easy with Eben on the back. On the way I find this young 4x4 wanting to join the ride but then backs out. Probably mom's orders.

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 11:18:38 pm »
We cross the Olifants river again and some really tricky part starts with lot of powder dust on the road, but till now we all make it safe through and we stop at a nice big tree and river.
Doc informs us that this is where the real fun starts. A little angle whispers in my ear and I ask Eben if he perhaps wants to ride with Lee in the Pajero, and without hesitation he agrees. Lucky she is also keen on some company. Big thank you to you  At first I think, 'so much for trust in your dad' Thank you again so much to God for letting me off the hook once again. We head out full of hope at the exciting adventure ahead. The first part is not to bad BUT there is a bit of a paved section. As we round the corner the paved section disappears, and it is all loose stones.
I am on the pegs leaning back hanging on the bars, but with little control because of that, which I did not really realize at that stage. The front wheel goes out of control and the throttle twist's and down I go. Niklaas catches up to me and helps me pick up the bike. Claudio also catches up and first takes a pic.
Could probably blame age for not being able to pick it up myself. Lots of thoughts go through my head as to what went wrong. We line the bike up in the direction we are suppose to travel in and try again. Goes well for a while but in trying to stay away from the edge I cross the middle and loose it again. This is now getting frustrating as I am the only one falling, and inside I battle with thoughts as to what i can do to better my technique. Everybody urges me on. But being very unfit it becomes a real struggle. I now can imagine what the people that do the roof of Africa and those races must feel like. No wander they are always on the mountain bikes training. So one though comes to mind. Training when we get home. Eben is to far behind in the 4x4 and not really aware of what is going on. Again Niklaas to the rescue. By now my hands are shaking and my shoulders and arms burning from hanging unto the steering. Cannot understand as this method has always worked for me, although tiring. I meet the group at the top of the hill where Rikus and Hennie are taking a break.   
I also take a break and think about how I am going to go about this further on. We take in a lot of water and some pic's. Then we are of again. Again my method does not work since my arms are really lame and down ago again. Claudio catches up and suggest I put my luggage in the van which I do. I want to ride again but he suggest we rest a while. He must have seen the desperation in my eyes I suppose. I down about a liter of water. He then proceeds to talk some inspiration into me. One of the few recovery talents mentioned earlier.  We head off and the bike feels a bit lighter but the arms are not working as they should and again the front wheel goes. This time Claudio was not far behind and the others were waiting on the hill.

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 11:28:36 pm »
Even the sweeper van has overtaken me by this time, as the top of the hill is not far :imaposer:. The scenery is stunning and all the sound that you hear are a couple of birds, and sun beetles
He helps me up again and again we rest, and again he tries to calm me down as now I am pretty frustrated at myself for not being able to stay on the bike and keeping everyone back. Also the though of letting the boys down goes through my mind. Being so close behind me Claudio proceeds to give me some pointers. Lean a bit forward and don't hang on the bars so much. Your ass is supposed to be back but your shoulders should be over the bars so your arm can act as socks, and then gun it little. Your bike can take it.  Just in case someone else also battles with the same problem. I make it to the top where everyone is waiting, and i can feel i am the center of attention. Not something i am fond of. We sit for another while and Eben also come to give me a hug, as if to say, "you are cool and it is going to be ok". Then it is time to be of again. But the bike just says click and dead as a doornail she is. What the hell, What next, but cannot be to serious. Probably a loose terminal with all the falling going on. The side cover comes off but all is ok it seems. I whack the battery once and the light that seemed dim is suddenly bright. Hit the start button and she turns. Ok put back the side panels, tool kit goes into the van with the rest of my stuff. Want to start again but then again nothing. Now what, I think to myself. Just though all was sorted. The light is on a serious dim. Must be the battery, maybe the charging maybe the battery is flat due to the continuous starting after every fall. Claudio gets a charging unit from the van, and she firers up. We don't put the panels back and I just ride of, thinking what next. I also follow some of Claudio's advice and suddenly the riding is much better. On a split in the road Doc waits for us so that we don't take the wrong turn off. This is a nice downhill so we decide to shut the bike of and take a breather and go through the bike to access the damage after all the falls. Not too bad I find surprisingly. Only the front fender has cracked where I repaired it previously, and new dent in tank. Please again don't make assumptions. Lol. For the rest all seems intact. Think my pride perhaps took the biggest knock off all. Even the foot peg extensions i made for Eben seem good. Inside I feel slightly better. On the other side I am so proud of Rikus as everybody goes on about his riding skill. Enough to make any father proud. The rest of the group appears and we are off again. The bike still resisting start but I opt for the push start. Try second gear but the wheel just drags. Hop it a little but still nothing. Third gear, still dragging, and by now there is not much of the downhill left. Hit forth and make up some speed and she firers away, Just in time. Darn I think to myself, that is some serious compression. The riding is much better now following bunny hop's/ Claudio's advice. Soon we reach Mafefe camp/ Ivory trail camp and I am pretty surprised.
Really well organized camp, with some nice chalets great kitchen, Everything working on gas solar and a generator. I imagine the person who rides up here all the time to change the gas cyl must really be lucky and have a nice job. Hennie Rikus and myself proceed to strip my bike to hopefully find a problem. Doc recons we should relax and leave it for the morning, As if he knows what the problem is, I think to myself. Eben start's to help Jimmy and the ladies with food preparation as his dream is to become a chef one day. After about a hour we call it a day as dinner is served. They say never leave a chef waiting. Leave it to the morning as Doc said. Why doesn't he listen, he never listens is the though that probably went through his head, and is going through his head as he reads this. Maybe one day Doc,  I will learn to listen. We spend a great night around the fire, relaxing, and after everybody went to sleep a few of us stayed and contemplated the future of the country and a few other things

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 11:35:37 pm »
The next morning some of us wake earlier than others, to a wet and misty fresh morning. I take a walk and take a few pic's of the surroundings as does Rikus.
Hennie and Niklaas also appear from their tent and Hennie has decided to leave early, as he wanted to get home, because his wife was going to hosp for a operation. We decide that some of us would go with him as I also wanted to leave early. There was still a few places I wanted to show the boys. But first we had to figure out what was wrong with my bike. Doc pulls his crate with spares from his pajero and we start the elimination process, and soon find out it is actually the battery, which is actually swollen. He has a spare on hand and I agree to a "I owe you" on the battery. We disconnect all the other electrical ad on's and just keep the basic on the battery. The next problem is I cannot head back with Eben on the back. But Doc and the recovery team to the rescue again as they wanted to stock up on a few groceries. They will ride with us with the 4x4 to where this route started, and from there i can take Eben and we can be on our way. It went really well for me on this section/ day, as the riding tips recovery Claudio embedded in me really worked well. Hence the more photos.Tips were so good i was almost able to take pic's while riding. Haha just joking. At least i did not fall once on this day :laughing4:
This time it was Rikus to go down once in a moment of lost concentration. It was a awesome route though and I am extremely proud of him. I know I say that a lot.  Eben had a good time with mr "t" in the back of the 4x4 and they really got to know each other very well. Thanks again you guys who were awesome. We unpack our stuff from the recovery vehicle, and said our good buys. From there we proceed to pack the bikes, get Eben kitted up and start our journey onwards. We cross the Olifants river once more and stop for a pic or two

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 11:52:12 pm »
We part our ways and the Springs group head of again splitting at the T-jucktion on the R37. So Rikus myself and Eben went the other  way to Burgers fort  and Hennie and Niklaas went the other way, back to Springs. It was getting late and the traffic was pretty heavy. Fuel was also running low and I knew we had to stop somewhere for fuel. We put some fuel in at a station a little way on and then aimed for Burgers fort. At the station I looked for my phone and Rikus found it in his backpack, And I decided to leave it there. Mistake. No sorry Big mistake. I was in front and Rikus followed, But somehow I did not check my rear view mirror enough to see if he was keeping up in the traffic, And when I got to Burgersfort shopping centre where we had to turn off to the right I waited for him maybe ten minutes, but he did not pitch. Seeing a police car with blue lights heading the way we came I was thinking something had happened to him, and Eben and myself went back on the road a long way but could not find him, so we went back to the mall and waited again. I looked for my phone and remembered in was is Rikus back pack. What a idiot I think to myself, what were you thinking. We drove in the onward direction but then decided to got back to the mall and wait at the filling station on the hill. Figured if he did not find us he will back track on his route, which he did. But not after a while and I had to sit and wait with his little brother in tears on my lap because his big brother was missing. Not a good feeling. When he eventually came past and Eben almost ran in front of the traffic to get his brother's attention. I will not write down everything that went through my head in that  time while waiting, because it is not nice, and my anger was aimed at someone not deserved
So God, in spite of my thoughts sorted everything out. By now it was really dark and latish and we had to find a place to sleep still. First things first. We all go for a nice ice-cream at the mall to cool down and I had to spoil the boys a bit for being such awesome boys,  for which i am truly grateful to God. On our way the first  day I did see some camping spots but as our cash flow was a bit low at the time we had to make another plan. Again God knew what was coming and sent another Angel on my way, long before all this. My wife. She organized a place for us to stay for the night at someone her uncle knows who work in the area. The person Agreed to meet us at a engen fuel station a little ways out of town, and then take us to his house. We find him at the spot and follow to his house, where we introduce. He lives alone with his mother and child. Problems between him and the wife. He has three dogs outside, one big one to guard the bike and two small ones. We talk a while and he informs me after learning where I work that he has a friend also working there that use to work on the mine with him. Small world. The boy is about the same age as Eben and they soon playing play station together, and Rikus relaxing, while I prepare some two minute noodles for supper. Tomorrow we head for Tonteldoos where we will have breakfast since Eben polished all the breakfast bars the first day already. We sleep well that night and the next morning we are up early with renewed spirit, after I had a good talk with God in the night, for Perhaps a little more wisdom I asked Him. We greeted our host and thanked him for everything and hit the road. The bike starts first time round, and I know this day will be better
15 km back on the burgers fort road we turn left of the R555 on a unnamed tar road that is so full of potholes that it is better to ride on the side of the road on the gravel than on the road, but it gets better. We get to a T-juction we turn left on the R37 toward Mashishing (Lydenburg) this is a very nice tar road leading though the valley with all it citrus farms and awesome views.
It is early and every where people are preparing for the days work. I take the opportunity to take a few selfies  with Eben, and hoping I would get Rikus in as well, but he kept his following distance as he should.
We reach the Beetgekraal turn off which is once again gravel.
At first some loose gravel but then hardens up really nice with farmers on the road wetting it with sprinklers to keep the dust down I guise. We pass one farmer and I greeted friendly but without reaction from his side. So be it then. The scenery on this road is as breath taking and you get a wakeup call every now and then as the road suddenly becomes either sandy or rocky with erosions in between.
Eben's self confidence has grown a bit and as soon as we hit a rugged or sandy section he holds onto my shoulders and stands up on the pegs.

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 11:56:09 pm »
One more thing, since i see you dogs pay careful attention to detail. Please ignore the dates one the pic's from the action cam. It was not preset :lol8:

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:50 am »
Thanks for sharing this special experience with a great write-up and pics.

Offline Lem

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:52:00 am »
Baie dankie vir die stunning verslag  :thumleft:

Van daai fotos aan die begin lyk vir my baie soos die Overberg Ruens in die somer, ons ry gereeld daardeur.

Het my dag gemaak.  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline ROOI

• XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »

Attention to detail :laughing4:. Thank you. i will change it
That was what sparked interest  :thumleft:
FTS

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:05 am »
All goes well till a gate suddenly pops up in the middle of the road. We ride up to the gate hoping there is a way past it or the road somehow bypasses it, but nothing of the sort. And the gate is locked. There are two gates. One for cars and the other for pedestrians.
Eben is hungry so the kettle is brought to life with some breakfast rusk, while in the mean time my wife is contacted again to see if she can find a way trough. There is very little signal and watts up is the only way of comms when the signal passes every now and then. Rikus notices the hinges on the pedestrian gate both show the same direction so perhaps we can lift the gate and open it that way. The sign on the gate says leopard sanctuary, So we decide this gate is locked  for a reason and opted to make a u-turn and head back. Being that we go back the same way and made it once, the mind set is, how tough can it be, done it once can do it again. Not to be. The first sand monster won't let another opportunity go by and in my relaxing state grabs hold of the front wheel and down we go. Eben does what he does best and jumps. I know I did ask you not to make assumptions. Rikus has followed and now helps to pick up the bike, and I know exactly what I did wrong, but the spirit is up and we have a good laugh. Photo of the accident scene, and after the recovery.
I did ask for n more positive spirit. Rikus heads out in front, and I reckon he knew something I did not. Not far I come around the corner and I see him waiting with the camara. Nice I think to myself he is learning to take pictures. Next i find myself in the claws of the sand monster yet again, and we go down again. Eben bales again, and I can see Rikus making a fist of victory as now he has me going down on camera. Wonder how much I can pay him for that footage, but he did not budge. LOL.

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 02:57:13 am »
That at least was the last time just in case anyone was wondering. As i get my bike going we see Rikus bike going down slowly for a nap. He probably though this was going to take longer. As a matter of fact the groud was not very level wear he parked and as the bike sagged into the shocks it toppled over. We were all pretty surprised.
 We make it back to the tar road and stop first for a pic at the Water fall river pasís bord, after wich we proceed up the pass. What a nice ride.
Trying to ride with the camara in hand and Eben on the back does not go down well as he cannot really sit still so I decide to pass him the camera. The footage is not that good but he felt good about making the video for once. some more of this and he would become a real pro.
Just before Lydenbrug we get a turn off to the right after consulting the gps which I have come to understand better now, find that this connects to the R577 which the Beetgekraal road would have taken us to. And being that Rikus has no license I wanted to avoid places where traffic officials are likely to hang out.. We first pass the turnoff but then make a u-turn
We take this road till we get to the R577 and turn right again, destination Tonteldoos via steenkamps berg pass since we are all pretty hungry by now. We stop for a quick pic at the steenkampberg pass board.
The pass was really awesome to ride and we pass the section where we would have connected with the R577 of the Beetgekraal road. We also pass the entrence to the verloren valley.