The Rebel tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRK Miller

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Letting someone down because of your incompetence is pretty bad, but having someone there to turn it into something positive is really a God sent. BUT  Loosing someone really dear to you and not being able to contact them because off your sloppiness and having to be totally reliant on God to sort it out, like in the old days before cell phones, that really puts you to the test, Which I failed rather miserably. A hard lesson learnt. Another lesson learned, is that He sometimes sends the most unlikely angels to help you out even though you are a wise ass
But like someone said, lets rather focus on the positive, and forget about the negative for the moment.
My Dad always taught me if you make a promise, God expects you to keep it. That is part of His negotiations you might say, so careful what you promise.
Well i promised my son if he picked up his average on his school report I would take him on a motorcycle adventure trip. He is pretty passionate about bike riding. He also has a real laid back style of riding.
So he did his part of the bargain and now it was my turn to live up to mine. Orry pass had been in my sights for a while now so we started working out a route. Being that my Son is only 16 years of age and does not have a license for the  650 klr as yet, we decided to name it the rebel tour.
Of course as it goes in any great family, if big brother goes with, little brother must also go with.
Then a route was planned, and planned again, and planned again, and so on and so on. I have as usual a few trusty companions' whom I told about the plans in order to have a bit of a group which will hopefully deter traffic officials from pulling us of, so pray that would work
In my planning I pick up a few 4x4 routes and thought to myself, how rough can it really be. In my excitement I let slip my plans to some other adventurers, aka Dr klr, and  he urges me to please leave out the 4x4 part, since I will be having my son on pillion, and it is really tough, but everyone knows how a wise ass thinks.  Ha they think they know everything. So Mnr adventure rider extraordinary Dr klr,  decides he/they  will go with and go show me/us what 4x4 routing is all about, and gets his own ‘recovery’ team together.  Claudio and Lee, Doc and Sandy, Mnr "T", Tinton, and Jimmy was not going to be left behind. Not only for the possible machine breakdowns but they have a very wide variety of talents for all sorts of recoveries, which we  will pick up as we go. The night before we do a trail run with bikes packed and everybody onboard to make sure everything is in place.

Eben complains the extensions on the rear foot pegs I made for him, is to far under my bag on which he sits to elevate him so he can look over my shoulder at where we are going, which will hopefully make him more part of the trip, compared to him looking into my back all the time. So a quick adjustment is made via grinder and welding machine. I know taking him as pillion, elevated is going to hamper my control over the bike, but making this trip something to remember for him is more important to me, than giving Alfi cox a run for his money
So 5 of us Keith; Eben(pillion); Rikus; Hennie and Niklaas depart from Springs on 10/04/2017 as early as possible, barring the fact that Hennie is fresh from 12 hours night shift.
We head for Bronkhorstspruit and decide to cut out a piece of gravel due to light restrictions and heavy fog, and take the N12 till we get R 42. Through Bronkies  (slang), 5km on we take a break and go through a few checks. It pays of as we found the chain on Hennie's bike is a bit tight and the adjustment is made while some of us add unwanted advise and relieve ourselves from early morning koffie.
22km onwards we turn right onto gravel towards Zusterstroom. The road is well set with damp but not wet on the surface. Pretty soon I grab myself back to reality from the beauty that surrounds us, and the Baboons crossing the road in true african style(padestrians have right of way), and i have to slam on the brakes, as a mud puddle covering the hole road, and pretty wide, suddenly appears magically before me. Easy on the front and harder on the back, keeping in mind Eben is on the back.
We don't succeed in stopping but slow down enough just to get water splashed into my boots. No surprises in there and a thanks goes unto God, as I have seen people hitting big, deep surprises in these puddles. Have to stay alert and take it a bit easier.  We stop for a quick brake to listen to the sound of silence Led on by the song of the birds and  the barking/screaming of some baboons. A. Few picks are taken, then we head of again  We get a few more puddles on the way, but nothing as serious. For the rest it was just really nice scenery. We cross the Wilge river, and pass quite a few weekend getaway places. So many break away places so close to home that you don’t know off.
We reach the tar road for a left turn till we slap a right 5km onward. Awesome views greet us as hills just seem toe role out in front of us.
More nice gravel and some really nice viewpoints. We reach a river and I want to stop for a pic. Hennie was close behind me and flying for some or other reason. Perhaps he was enjoying the scenery, as he does not find his brakes it time, and squeezes by on my LEFT and barely makes it unto the bridge. Close call. We have a quick laugh over the incident, I take my pic and we head on.
On the top myself and Rikus stop for some pic's of the view, and the three boys on there first of many trips.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1492234975179.jpg
    FB_IMG_1492234975179.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 375
  • penge weekend 08 04 2017 (1).JPG
    penge weekend 08 04 2017 (1).JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 388
  • penge weekend 08 04 2017 (6).JPG
    penge weekend 08 04 2017 (6).JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 392
  • penge weekend 08 04 2017 (3).JPG
    penge weekend 08 04 2017 (3).JPG