Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: HOME BUILD BIKE TRAILER  (Read 563 times)

Offline Cameltoe

HOME BUILD BIKE TRAILER
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:58:40 am »
 :thumleft:   HI ons het n tyd terug n leker  sterk  trailer gebou    nou moet ek hom cof  waar begin ek  ,  ?????????:peepwall:

Offline blockheadxl650v

Re: HOME BUILD BIKE TRAILER
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:06:59 am »
ek wil ook weet.  :sip:

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:15:43 am »
As jy nie geregistreer is as n approved trailer builder nie vergeet maar. Beste is om n ou trailer te koop wat op die sisteem is en sy nommer oor te stamp. moet net nie a venter of bekende naam gebruik nie, dit moet se platbak.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:12:03 am »
As jy nie geregistreer is as n approved trailer builder nie vergeet maar. Beste is om n ou trailer te koop wat op die sisteem is en sy nommer oor te stamp. moet net nie a venter of bekende naam gebruik nie, dit moet se platbak.

Agree 100%

Tried the homebuild route but you cannot get it registered.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:30:27 am »
I build one myself and used my old venter trailer number and registration, worked well for 10 years untill I got stopped in a roadblock and they scanned the disc, it showed venter - colour  white, mine was clearly not a venter or white, long story short they  confiscated the trailer.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
I build one myself and used my old venter trailer number and registration, worked well for 10 years untill I got stopped in a roadblock and they scanned the disc, it showed venter - colour  white, mine was clearly not a venter or white, long story short they  confiscated the trailer.

Mate of mine did the same, but he had his galvanized and then powder coated white, and had 2 "Venter" stickers made up at the local signage place.  Went through a few roadblock and was never even given a second glance.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Cracker

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 09:08:55 pm »
I've got gold in my hand - reg papers for a home-built trailer.

That's it, full description, only weights specified - can be anything. Even when it was a rusty piece of junk in a garden corner for years, I kept the disk up to date.

Was a box trailer, now it's a bike trailer and will hopefully be worth something when selling time comes up ................
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »
I built a trailer about 33 years ago on a mini rear subframe and suspension, had it registered and used it
extensively . 4 or 5 years ago, I decided I needed a bike trailer, so built one using a leaf spring suspension
a friend gave me. I kept both, and had duplicate number plates and licence discs for a while. The old one
was eventually badly rusted and unused, so I gave it to someone for farm use. I now use the bike trailer
for everything. Still registered as a "built up" trailer.
I still dont understand the issue with a home build. If its scrutinised and passes roadworthy , what are the pitfalls ?

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:12 pm »
No pitfalls but things have changed over the years ......... more f---ing rules, that' all. My trailer papers are also 30-odd years old.

As far as I know, you have to be a registered trailer builder to build and register them now - - 2nd hand info from a family member who is one of those.

'They' call it progress - I don't.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 07:30:48 am »
No pitfalls but things have changed over the years ......... more f---ing rules, that' all. My trailer papers are also 30-odd years old.

As far as I know, you have to be a registered trailer builder to build and register them now - - 2nd hand info from a family member who is one of those.

'They' call it progress - I don't.

Maybe the OP can contact your family member to register his trailer, for a fee?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Cracker

• Top Biscuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:01:57 am »
Nope - been there - he won't take liability for stuff he hasn't built.

Fair enough, I suppose. I also don't sign off others electrical work.

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:03:11 am »
I've got gold in my hand - reg papers for a home-built trailer.

That's it, full description, only weights specified - can be anything. Even when it was a rusty piece of junk in a garden corner for years, I kept the disk up to date.

Was a box trailer, now it's a bike trailer and will hopefully be worth something when selling time comes up ................

Thats the truth about a "home-build" trailer reg papers

I have 1 license and use it on 3 home builds.

As for the OP. Best is to shop around for a "home-build" reg :biggrin:

I tried the rest and still stick with the best.  -   ROOIVLEIS
2006 Hp2 - 2006 Hp2 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       

2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

Offline Kortbroek

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Ag wat ja nee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 01:26:14 pm »
This from 4x4community:

Do not even consider "buying" a registration document from so called registered MIB's who stopped manufacturing and who are only selling reg documants. It will boomarang and you WILL loose your trailer. The SAPS are currently conducting audits on all suspected transactions by individuals who only sell documents without manufacturing the trailers.
When a trailer is privately built take the following steps:
Keep all receipts of material
Take photographs as progress is made.
When finnished obtain a RPI (Request for Police Identification) from your local Registration Authority.
Present the trailer together with the RPI, receipts and photographs to the SAPS Vehicle Identification Section responsible for your area.
They will take a statement, make copies of everything, open an enquiry docket and issue a VIN (SAPVIN)
They will complete the RPI.
An application is made at your local Registartion Authority using the RPI and other required documents including weighbridge certificate, to have the trailer introduced on eNaTIS.
Your local RA will forward your application to the Provincial Help Desk where it will be introduced on eNaTIS. (Enquire regularly on progress from your RA as it is captured on a Task Management System and progress can be monitored)
After introduction on eNaTIS obtain a RPC (request for Police Clearance) and present to SAPS Clearance Office for Clearance.
Obtain Roadworthy.
Register and licence
Depending on which Province you are located the process should not take longer than 60 days

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/126967-Procedure-to-register-homebuilt-trailer
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 01:47:44 pm »
This from 4x4community:

Do not even consider "buying" a registration document from so called registered MIB's who stopped manufacturing and who are only selling reg documants. It will boomarang and you WILL loose your trailer. The SAPS are currently conducting audits on all suspected transactions by individuals who only sell documents without manufacturing the trailers.
When a trailer is privately built take the following steps:
Keep all receipts of material
Take photographs as progress is made.
When finnished obtain a RPI (Request for Police Identification) from your local Registration Authority.
Present the trailer together with the RPI, receipts and photographs to the SAPS Vehicle Identification Section responsible for your area.
They will take a statement, make copies of everything, open an enquiry docket and issue a VIN (SAPVIN)
They will complete the RPI.
An application is made at your local Registartion Authority using the RPI and other required documents including weighbridge certificate, to have the trailer introduced on eNaTIS.
Your local RA will forward your application to the Provincial Help Desk where it will be introduced on eNaTIS. (Enquire regularly on progress from your RA as it is captured on a Task Management System and progress can be monitored)
After introduction on eNaTIS obtain a RPC (request for Police Clearance) and present to SAPS Clearance Office for Clearance.
Obtain Roadworthy.
Register and licence
Depending on which Province you are located the process should not take longer than 60 days

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/126967-Procedure-to-register-homebuilt-trailer

Nicely Done!
You will aslo need MicroDot these days - somewhere around the RPC - but they will tell you when thats required.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!