Northern Namibia: is this itinerary ok to see elephants and wildlife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maria41

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT225
Hi everyone, we made it to Swakop and will need to return as we found a Yamaha dealer and ordered some fork seals. Both our bikes are leaking!  ::)

Anyway, I am taking time today to design our itinerary. I can’t really ride in deep sand. The rest  is ok, I can make good progress. A bit of deep sand is ok but I am no rallye rider. With this in mind I have designed the following itinerary but I am open to suggestions too. Would love to see elephants and giraffes!
So my plan: from Swakop:
Ride up to terrace bay as a good tourist, then down and at Torra bay pick up the C39 to Twyfelfontein, then Khorixas for fuel. Then the C35 down to the coast and back to Swakop to get the seals replaced once they arrive. Ordered today so should take up to 7 days to arrive.

Then off again. Probably back to Kharixas or via the salt road, make my way to Palmwag And continue by the C43 to Sesfontein.
Then continue north up via Opuwa to Epupa or Ruacana ( not decided yet).

Can i, in these last few locations, get a guide and car for a day, somewhere.  to discover wildlife with someone who know what he is doing? Or we will be able to see stuff on our own?
Would the D3710 that runs parallel to the C43 between Sesfontein and Opuwo be more interesting for wildlife?
What is the conditions on that D road?

Any suggestions most welcome. So far it has been a blast. You can read details on my blog, and of course, once I am back home, I will write a nice ride report for you guys and advrider.

Thanks a lot,
Maria