Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of adventure boots  (Read 1919 times)

Offline antony cross

• Bike: BMW R80GS
    • View Profile
Pros and Cons of adventure boots
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:52:27 pm »
Hi there

i need some advise please

its time to replace boots . i ride majority off road on a gs 800 adv . i am looking at these two boots as replacement . obviously i am not buying for the sake of a name brand but rather protection and comfort . which boots in your opinion would be the better boot .Would appreciate some feed back from he guys in the know

Boots i am looking at are the Bmw gs Rally and the forma adventure boot
thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:53:49 pm by antony cross »

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons of adventure boots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
Proper boots are better than any ankle OP. Get the best most comfortable proper boots. You riding not walking or hiking. Good proper boots can be comfortable although expensive is still cheaper than broken bones.

IMHO obviously
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline R4C3

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »
I tried them both and went for the Forma boots, I have a high bridge on my foot and the GS boots was very uncomfortable. I would recommend you try them both. The GS boot has better protection, but went for the forma half boot as I could walk in them easier, which meant I did not have to take an extra pair of shoes with when going riding and camping. Just some plakkies.

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 03:46:52 pm »
I tried them both and went for the Forma boots, I have a high bridge on my foot and the GS boots was very uncomfortable. I would recommend you try them both. The GS boot has better protection, but went for the forma half boot as I could walk in them easier, which meant I did not have to take an extra pair of shoes with when going riding and camping. Just some plakkies.

AlpineStars with the bootie are amazing had them for 10years. I also have a high bridge. Recently against my better judgement on advice went for the Gaerne Top of the range. They hurt me!
Wish I had just got another set of Alpine stars.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:47:20 pm by THROTTLE JOCKEY »
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Aaklige Attie

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 03:50:47 pm »
I have been using my GS boots for 3 years now and have spent thousands of km's in them, they are def not the most comfortable boots but so are all of the high protection offroad boots,  I have spent long 6-10 day trips in them and once you are used to them its all good.Just replaced the front steel tips on mine and they are good to go! I had Formas before but they do not offer the same protection although they are more comfy but they go limb at the ancles. M2CW

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:24:39 pm »
I have various sets of boots including Sidi Adventure Gore and BMW Gravel amongst  them, but I have not worn any other boot since I got a pair of the BMW Rally Boots. Sure not as comfy, not always 100% waterproof, but as mentioned here, not so bad once you get used to them.

My wife has (had) a pair of the Forma Adventure boots and she had a small off in very snotty mud on her bike (1200 GS LC Trophy), the crash bar that goes round the pod landed square on her ankle and basically popped it off, dislocated the entire foot by tearing or breaking every ligament in there.

It was absolutely a freak accident, however those boots did nothing for her.

She is back riding and is now the proud owner of a pair of women's Fox Comp 5 boots.

Despite all the brilliant information about boots provided on this site, we still decided to go and learn the very painful and very expensive way  :o.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:56:05 am by Warren Ellwood »
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"
www.facebook.com/Lookwhatyouremissing
The Motorcycle Travel TV Series

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:11:46 pm »
An adventure boot will never have the protection of an enduro/MX boot. Yes the Forma Adventure are comfy and great quality but as noted they do not have the ankle protection, which is critical. A boot with a hinged ankle will already tell you it is one-up on one without. I wear a shorty boot for some light stuff but always knowing that I am taking a chance. Any serious ride I wear the BMW GS boots - originally made by Sidi but now the new GS Pro's are made by Forma and are essentially the same as the Forma Dominator. This type of boot will always be heavier and not feel as comfortable to walk in - remember you are (hopefully) going to be mostly RIDING in them! Also any good boot will take some wearing in  (and this can take some time and persistence) but once worn in will be a thing of beauty and you will become very attached to them. Gaerne are worn by the majority of enduro and extreme enduro guys because they are simply the toughest and offer premium protection. You do not have to buy the top of the range SG12's for adventure riding and even the entry level Reacts and SG10's are better than many adventure boots. You will always get parts for them and they can be resoled with original Gaerne soles - yes some guys do wear them out! Of course Alpine Stars, Fox, Sidi etc also make good boots.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:32:05 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:11 pm »
You want ankle protection etc. Go for the BMW GS
Not worried about protection and want flexible soft boot then the forma.

PS. Biking accessories said they could not provide me with parts for Forma boots.
The GS boots are bulky at the top so check your pants fit over them.  My klim pants don't close properly.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:34 pm »
I go with Big Dom. If there is any chance of things going pear shaped I take my Gaerne SG10's. I've buggered enough bits of my body without adding feet and shins to the list. However, I came across a pair of leather boots Gaerne make for trials riding which are stunningly comfortable and I think called Balance Pro. I wouldn't use them for anything more than tar and gravel roads but that's probably what you have in mind anyway.
In  transition

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:44:30 am »
Love my Sidi Crossfire2's.   Cost an arm and half a leg, but maybe they'll save the other half of the leg :biggrin:   Super comfy for me also.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 10:59:31 am »
Love my Sidi Crossfire2's.   Cost an arm and half a leg, but maybe they'll save the other half of the leg :biggrin:   Super comfy for me also.

:thumleft: I have the Sidi Adventure (crossfire ?). very comfortable and good protection. Second hand a good pair will be about R3 500.00. Get the number one bigger than what you would normally wear.
A F'ugly is a different sort of bike, the 1150 is boring and the 1100s makes me smile. The RT ?... Once you ride one, there is no explanation necessary.

...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Offline Rockrider001

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 11:12:44 am »
I wear Alpinestars Corosals. They have ample protection around the ankles are are very comfortable.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 11:44:17 am »

:thumleft: I have the Sidi Adventure (crossfire ?). very comfortable and good protection. Second hand a good pair will be about R3 500.00. Get the number one bigger than what you would normally wear.

Crossfires are full MX/Enduro boots.

Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:49:34 am »

Crossfires are full MX/Enduro boots.

Yip, the Adventure is a slightly toned down version of the Crossfire but in the same price bracket.

I think the adventure boot is a perfect compromise between mx protection and normal boot making it ideal as a dual sport or touring adventure boot.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • WAT KYK JY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:53:34 am »
This is mine, about six years old
A F'ugly is a different sort of bike, the 1150 is boring and the 1100s makes me smile. The RT ?... Once you ride one, there is no explanation necessary.

...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Offline R4C3

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:00 am »

AlpineStars with the bootie are amazing had them for 10years. I also have a high bridge. Recently against my better judgement on advice went for the Gaerne Top of the range. They hurt me!
Ahh will keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline R4C3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 11:59:29 am »

Ahh will keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:30:45 pm »
I had a pair of Gaerne 10's - the old ones without the hinge - they eventually went pap around the ankles, i bought a pair of GS boots - they are awesome!!
Bulky at the top, but I would much rather use them than Adventure style boots for anything more than communting....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline noble steed

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 05:23:29 pm »

:thumleft:
Also have crossfire2s
Yes hiking is much more uncomfortable than my BMW Santiago, but they’ve saved me broken tibia/ankle (still needed X-rays to prove it wasn’t broken!), the Santiago’s just stay in the cupboard gathering dust.
Comfortable to ride in. It’s well worth the compromise when off the bike.

Offline funky_munky

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 03:50:36 pm »
This is mine, about six years old

Got a pair of the same. about 9 or 10 years old now and still going strong. Starting to show a little bit of wear and tear...
Africa Twin CRF1000 and KTM 690 - Aaaah yeah, perfect combo....