Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of adventure boots  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and Cons of adventure boots
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:34 am »
Don't know when Forma took over but my Forma boots is about 6-10years old and have too many similarities with the GS boots of the same era.

Online meurig

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 08:37:18 am »
Don't know when Forma took over but my Forma boots is about 6-10years old and have too many similarities with the GS boots of the same era.

I think they made the previous generation GS Boots - Blue/Black/White, looks like the Forma Dominator?
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 09:01:15 am »

I think they made the previous generation GS Boots - Blue/Black/White, looks like the Forma Dominator?

Sidi made the previous generation (grey, blue, black and white) as far as I know and the from the Pro version was Forma. They are essentially identical to the Forma Dominator.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW R1200GS HP2E  Husqvarna TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250 XCW YAMAHA BWS  BETA REV 3

:ricky:

Offline Hardy de Kock

• - Vendor -
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 12:19:04 pm »
Does anyone have experience of the Forma Predator?

Offline Zanie

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:13 pm »
I use my Sidi crossfires for daily commuting (they call me Robocop at work), for adventure rides on the big bike and funduros on my dirt bike. No missing buckles, bits or anything. They're still going strong after 4 years and countless falls (literally - I have lost count).

I was one of those people who had to learn the expensive way first with adventure boots. The Sidis were cheaper. I should have bought them first and saved on the hospital bills.

With the Sidis I've had 200 kg of 650GS fall on my heel, with my toe dug into the ground. It was sore, but nothing broke. The solid sole stopped my foot from folding into a pretzel. My friend tore her achilles tendon in a similar accident. If you think bones are a bugger to break, don't even start with ligaments and tendons.

Get motocross boots if you don't like crutches. Three months on mine was enough. I'd rather break a wrist any day (have done so twice, so can make this comparison).

Fractured my ankle in a GS Boot. I now use Gearne SG 12 because ankle surgery is expensive and you never fully recover

I've never fully recovered and all I had was a fractured mid-foot bone. The foot doesn't like being damaged it seems.

Offline Highsider

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2018, 05:51:53 am »
I had a run of 4 blissfully ignorant years with my Forma Adv boots. They were the most comfortable pair of anything I owned, apart from my sheepskin slippers.  When the left sole wore through from being eaten by my sharp footpegs, discovered just before a 4,000km trip at the end of last year, I decided to go the SG12 route.  With only a day to find a pair, Alfie Cox had my size but only in red, blue and white.  My wife still calls them my “Elvis Boots”.
Anyway, having had left ankle reconstruction before, not accident related, I opted for protection over weight and bulk. 
For 2 days my left ankle hurt with the SG12 but after that the memory foam started remembering and since then they have been a brilliant investment. 
With the solid sole, they allow my feet to relax whilst standing on the pegs instead of ‘folding’ and also allow standing on the balls of my feet for extended periods of time.
They are not waterproof but this also means they dry out quickly if you do get your feet wet.  My Forma’s would pool water or sweatiness inside if water came in from the top somehow. 
The boots themselves are now comfortable enough to walk around in after a ride, but if you need to take a short hike down some rocks to view a waterfall or something, the stiff sole makes it a cumbersome exercise, but not impossible. 
Warning:  not many Adv pants will go over the SG12 boot.  I had to start using ITB (in the boot) pants until I could get my hands on a pair of OTB Klim pants which split with Velcro up the calf to accommodate MX style boots.
My 2cW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
    • View Profile
    • WildWood Motorcycle Yours South Africa
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 09:45:54 pm »
I always rode in Thor half boots and ridiculed guys on adventure rides in 'overkill' mx boots until last year i had a walking speed slip on a 1090 and 8 months later and buggered ligaments still battling with my ankle.
Guess what. I never hit the dirt without by SG10's. Lesson learned.

Still wear my open face helmet and hopefully not another lesson coming up.

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:42 pm »
I wear Gearne SG11’s.  Serious boots.
I already have a farked ankle due to an old injury.  I am not taking any further chances.

Adventure boots are comfy. But when 200kgs of bike fall on you, comfort is the last thing on your mind.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Online Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 04:01:00 pm »
So I currently own both pairs - the GS Pro and the Forma's.  If you're going to stick to tar the Forma's are great - really comfortable, light, easy to walk in but have only slightly better protection than a pair of hiking shoes. They'll help you save skin in a slide but if its broken bones you're worried about then these are not the right boots...

But if there's a hint of dirt - even 'good-gravel' -  then you have to go GS Pro (assuming the options in the OP).  No question at all.  You'll be pleasantly surprised how comfortable they are if you buy one size bigger than your normal shoe size.  Yes, they're a bit cumbersome to walk in but it's still not impossible and the protection they give is well worth any minor discomfort off the bike.
De Colores!