Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Any dogs who fly helicopters?  (Read 599 times)

Offline miks

Any dogs who fly helicopters?
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:14:42 pm »
I'm interested in one day obtaining a PPL-H (correct me if wrong) and would like to do an introductory flight with a flight school.

Can anyone recommend a school/company or point me in the right direction?
Lanseria is my closest airport if anything is offered there.

;D

Offline Zeeman

Re: Any dogs who fly helicopters?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:04 pm »
Do a bit of research on gyrocopters.  You will be amazed by the advantages they have
over heli's if you are looking at recreational flying.

Offline TrailBlazer

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:01:37 am »
Miks, your best bet would be to check on avcom.co.za

The guys there should be able to give you a better idea. Just a word of warning... it is expensive... far more than a fixed-wing.

Good luck!
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

The following users thanked this post: miks

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »
I would also love to do my PPL-H but it is unrealistic due to the cost :'(

so

Second prize I'm hoping to start my PPL fixed wing this year still. Even then at 130k odd it's not cheap. I'm hoping to get a partner to buy a small 2 seater aircraft. Quite a few available in the 200k price range and then do my ppl on that. Would make it cheaper to do ppl and would make it much more affordable long term as I won't need to hire and fly then.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:07 pm »
I'm interested in one day obtaining a PPL-H (correct me if wrong) and would like to do an introductory flight with a flight school.

;D

PM me your details - one of my mates is a PPL-H Instructor.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:00:21 pm »
I would also love to do my PPL-H but it is unrealistic due to the cost :'(

so

Second prize I'm hoping to start my PPL fixed wing this year still. Even then at 130k odd it's not cheap. I'm hoping to get a partner to buy a small 2 seater aircraft. Quite a few available in the 200k price range and then do my ppl on that. Would make it cheaper to do ppl and would make it much more affordable long term as I won't need to hire and fly then.

If you going to fly small 2 seater stuff only consider doing your NPL (sport pilots license) for up to 600kg, perfect for those R200k aeries you looking at.  A hell off a lot cheaper than normal PPL, you can always do PPL later.
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:32 pm »
On the NPL thing, having looked at it it limits me later on in what you can fly and I honestly think the level of training from PPL is better/more comprehensive. I do intend later on buying something like a Jabiru J430 as they are good low'ish cost touring/travelling aircraft and I definitely want to go more than 550kg MAUW (limit for NPL afaik). There are tons of NTCA aircraft in the 700-750kg MAUW range that gives you great options in terms of the type of flying you want to do.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »
On the NPL thing, having looked at it it limits me later on in what you can fly and I honestly think the level of training from PPL is better/more comprehensive. I do intend later on buying something like a Jabiru J430 as they are good low'ish cost touring/travelling aircraft and I definitely want to go more than 550kg MAUW (limit for NPL afaik). There are tons of NTCA aircraft in the 700-750kg MAUW range that gives you great options in terms of the type of flying you want to do.

All true but MAUW for NPL is 600kg. If you are going to USE your PPL then go for it but if not waste off money, but that is just my opinion. The training is as good as your instructor/school and the difference in the theory exams. At one stage you could write your PPL exams but do the NPL flying and license and then later on just add the PPL flying to get the license. This however only worked/works if you are starting your license and not if you already have a NPL, that's where I slipped up!

Maar ja geniet dit dis moerse lekker!
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »
For a 2 seater, you can not beat NPL. I did mine BUT with Tony van Vliet. The reason for this was and still is, that I would like to be able to fly into controlled air space with self confidence. He had me talking to Cape Town east , PE approach, not to mention Cape Town information.

I never set out to become an airobatic pilot, I just want to bring my wife home safely.

I'm now rated on 4 aircraft and loving it.

Cost per licence, cost per flying hour can not be beaten, but, we all know that , hence the fact LSA aircraft are fucking expensive.

If you are planning to go bigger in future, you need 15 hours on a PPL. a lot cheaper than 45 hours.

Offline miks

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 03:43:10 am »

;D

PM me your details - one of my mates is a PPL-H Instructor.....

Will do, thank you!

Offline Tony the Boney

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:09 am »
don't forget to have a word with Chopperpilot on the forum. He rides a Husky  ;D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late