Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Northern Namibia with my brother......and a few other clowns  (Read 30039 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Northern Namibia with my brother......and a few other clowns
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:56 am »
My Liewe Ding.....

I cannot wait to get back up there - I need a smaller, lighter bike - like the G450X or something - and I must really make a plan to book for next year......
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2018, 09:28:42 am »
We refuelled in Uis and had a fizzy drink. The rest of the guys started arriving and unfortunately, @P.K. had a puncture

Team effort....... Thank goodness I was running Mousses front and rear.. :peepwall:

[/img]

We bumped into you lot here! Funacide, Poipipants, Plothond & myself were on the loaded 1190 x2/1090/1200LC bikes.  :thumleft:

Ek neem aan jy was die ou op die BMW? Was lekker om in julle vas te loop  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:38:04 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:01 am »
My Liewe Ding.....

I cannot wait to get back up there - I need a smaller, lighter bike - like the G450X or something - and I must really make a plan to book for next year......

Wise choice (the smaller bike comment) - no matter the skill of the rider.
DRZ 400 with a long range tank works beautifully too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:36:42 am by Hardy de Kock »

Offline Noneking

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2018, 09:36:35 am »
Lekker man! Hoe was die res van julle trip?

Woorde kan dit nie beskryf nie. Ons het net Damaraland explore, en dit was onbeskryflik. Sal nou pak en ry as ek kan.

Bly om te hoor!
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline ClemS

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2018, 09:42:48 am »
 :thumleft: :ricky:

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
FTS

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:26 am »
Ai manne, ek will ook so bitter graag dit doen. Great report!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Matewis

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2018, 09:52:10 am »
SUB!!!!
“Don’t go where the path my lead…  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail…” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
https://kettingsaag.wordpress.com/
https://witvosblog.wordpress.com/

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
...SO where is the Ride Report ?

Ask Popipants, he is our designated writer  :deal:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2018, 10:12:01 am »
A couple more by @JannievandieVaaldam on day 3

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: westfrogger

Offline Noneking

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:46 am »

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Noneking

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:46 am »
DAY 4 - OPUWO TO VAN ZYL'S CAMP

Before trip commenced, Hardy sent out a route description via WhatsApp. I didn't pay much attention to the details in the message, but rather memorised the destinations for each day. 

Day 4's description read like this " Opuwo To Van Zyl's Camp. This is where you start questioning your initial motivation for joining this trip. The road to van Zyl's camp is every bit as daunting as Van Zyl's Pass itself. Good luck - Many Quest contestants' hearts were shattered here"  :peepwall: :peepwall:

Reading this on the moring before departure from Opuwo, I could feel the butterflies in my tummy waking up..........

I tried to make contact with my wife one last time before we left Opuwo as we would be out of reach for a few days.

Dwerg waiting for breakfast

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:29:26 am by Noneking »
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Buff

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2018, 11:05:08 am »
Super RR, loving it so far  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:09 am »
I assume the 'bike talk' will follow at a later stage, and what the ideal bike for the trip is but in my mind it seems the Huskey 501 (or a KTM 500) to be ideal.

Looking forward to the rest!  :laughing4:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2018, 11:15:16 am »
The morning started off with an easy ride along the C43 towards Okongwati. It was actually quite cold on the bike and took the lead and tried to keep speed down a bit. It was a lekker mix of open road and driffies here and the which allowed us to get some air from time to time ..... >:D >:D

First toilet break

2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2018, 11:21:08 am »
While sitting next to the road in that first pic, we commented on how fast a car was approaching in the distance. In the second pic you can see its' dust trail. We rounded a corner and went over a blind rise and this car came towards us over to our side of the road doing 100+. Hardy warned us to be vigilant on turns and rises and heeding his warning definitely saved me in this instance.

If you get to a blind rise, slow down and stay well left.
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Noneking

« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:43 am »
I assume the 'bike talk' will follow at a later stage, and what the ideal bike for the trip is but in my mind it seems the Huskey 501 (or a KTM 500) to be ideal.

Tom, not for me to say what the ideal bike for trip would be. I can however tell you that the 501 was epic on this trip. Nothing got it out of shape and even on these long open stretches, it was epic fun to ride.  It was especially telling on days where we did a LOT of sand riding in riverbeds. I was just getting along so much easier than Dwerg and the rest. It was not about skill, but purely the ability of the light bike.

In an ideal world, I would ride my 1090 R to Okongwati, then load it on the bakkie and complete the trip on the 501.

We were so lucky to be able to travel without luggage and in my case oversized fuel tank. Under different circumstances, I might have been better off on the 701 with extra fuel and luggage options.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:54 am »

Tom, not for me to say what the ideal bike for trip would be. I can however tell you that the 501 was epic on this trip. Nothing got it out of shape and even on these long open stretches, it was epic fun to ride.  It was especially telling on days where we did a LOT of sand riding in riverbeds. I was just getting along so much easier than Dwerg and the rest. It was not about skill, but purely the ability of the light bike.

In an ideal world, I would ride my 1090 R to Okongwati, then load it on the bakkie and complete the trip on the 501.

We were so lucky to be able to travel without luggage and in my case oversized fuel tank. Under different circumstances, I might have been better off on the 701 with extra fuel and luggage options.

I must admit that the Husky made mincemeat of the technical (sand and rocks) sections. It really is a weapon for the technical terrain and Canzius even said it was enjoyable on the longer stretches.
Tom - reliability and basic knowledge of your bike is underestimated in most cases and this is where the thumpers shine. Old school, easy to fix technology is what I would recommend any time of the day. I am sure Dwerg would tell you that the DR might not have the best suspension etc, but he will also tell you that  Ri's DR brought him home without a glitch.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:39:01 am by Hardy de Kock »

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2018, 11:46:55 am »

I must admit that the Husky made mincemeat of the technical (sand and rocks) sections. It really is a weapon for the technical terrain and Canzius even said it was enjoyable on the longer stretches.
Tom - reliability and basic knowledge of your bike is underestimated in most cases and this is where the thumpers shine. Old school, easy to fix technology is what I would recommend any time of the day. I am sure Dwerg would tell you that the DR might not have the best suspension etc, but he will also tell you that  Ri's DR brought him home without a glitch.

Agree 100% Hardy  :thumleft:

Respect to Ri for handing him her bike after her unfortunate mishap. Spoke to her yesterday, she went to the hospital and got X-ray's and confirmed a broken fibula - will need an operation and fusion. That is one tough lady to walk around with a smile on her face with a broken fibila!

Know she will read here at some time - Strongs Ri, hope you recover quick to be back in the saddle soon!  :thumleft: