Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Northern Namibia with my brother......and a few other clowns  (Read 46295 times)

Offline dustlover

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Northern Namibia with my brother......and a few other clowns
« Reply #960 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:04 pm »
Noneking,

Great RR and brought to life with a great array of photos. You mentioned that your camera batteries went flat, but try as I might, I couldn't see a mention anywhere of what type of camera you use. Please tell me, it sure takes great photos.

Cheers
Go for it - the world is your lobster.

The following users thanked this post: Noneking

Offline Noneking

« Reply #961 on: March 26, 2019, 05:21:59 pm »
Noneking,

Great RR and brought to life with a great array of photos. You mentioned that your camera batteries went flat, but try as I might, I couldn't see a mention anywhere of what type of camera you use. Please tell me, it sure takes great photos.

Cheers

Thank you @dustlover !

Most of my pics were taken with a Canon G1X , the rest with iPhone 7 plus
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: dustlover

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #962 on: March 26, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
i have just spent the last 4 hours reading this report ....................... for the second time

what a fantastic trip man

after a work day like i had today , this RR makes me just want to pack it all in , take my measely pension and buy a smaller bike , eat less , get fit .......................... and fokkoff to the NAM

thank you so much to all that contributed to this RR and the trip as a whole

i am humbled by everyone involved

i hope i get to do this one day ................... soon
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline dustlover

« Reply #963 on: March 27, 2019, 10:12:01 am »
Noneking,

Cheers

Thank you @dustlover !

I just read the DPreview review of it and they complained about the short battery life. Suggested that perhaps a user should carry a spare, allowing you to charge both at night - one in the charger and the other in camera via USB.

Perhaps worth considering?

Edit: Spelling.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:12:42 am by dustlover »

Offline Noneking

« Reply #964 on: March 27, 2019, 10:26:56 am »
Noneking,

Cheers

Thank you @dustlover !

I just read the DPreview review of it and they complained about the short battery life. Suggested that perhaps a user should carry a spare, allowing you to charge both at night - one in the charger and the other in camera via USB.

Perhaps worth considering?

Edit: Spelling.

I had no issue with battery life, only limited charging opportunity. The battery only ran out once, because we did not have access to electricity for several days.
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline dustlover

« Reply #965 on: March 27, 2019, 10:54:25 am »
Ah, OK, cool.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
« Reply #966 on: April 22, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »
Ek het destyds toe die RR begin is, daaraan gelees, maar het weer daarvan "vergeet" agv werk ens..

Gister toe praat ek met @Vis Arend  se baas, @Mev Vis Arend en sy se toe dat hulle op die trip gaan begin Mei.

Dadelik begin ek toe lees daar waar ek laas opgehou het tot laat gistermiddag.  Vandag weer begin verder lees tot by die einde.

Baie RR's kyk ek net die kiekies, want dit vertel mos 'n storie?  Die RR het ek elke woord en sin gelees en ek moet eerlik waar se - dis 'n trip en RR duisend.

Baie dankie vir die deel @Noneking & die res.  Julle is almal ysters en ek beny julle. 

Sal dit graag wil doen - moet net my agterent in rat kry, en 'n voorraad hartpille saamvat  :deal:

@Hardy de Kock  - ek dink ek moet by julle kom leer hoe om te organiseer. 

@Noneking - Sal by jou moet leer hoe om 'n ordentelike RR te skryf.

Julle almal is gesaluut 

:salut: :salut:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:46:44 am by JMOL »
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #967 on: April 26, 2019, 10:05:59 am »
Ek het destyds toe die RR begin is, daaraan gelees, maar het weer daarvan "vergeet" agv werk ens..

Gister toe praat ek met @Vis Arend  se baas, @Mev Vis Arend en sy se toe dat hulle op die trip gaan begin Mei.

Dadelik begin ek toe lees daar waar ek laas opgehou het tot laat gistermiddag.  Vandag weer begin verder lees tot by die einde.

Baie RR's kyk ek net die kiekies, want dit vertel mos 'n storie?  Die RR het ek elke woord en sin gelees en ek moet eerlik waar se - dis 'n trip en RR duisend.

Baie dankie vir die deel @Noneking & die res.  Julle is almal ysters en ek beny julle. 

Sal dit graag wil doen - moet net my agterent in rat kry, en 'n voorraad hartpille saamvat  :deal:

@Hardy de Kock  - ek dink ek moet by julle kom leer hoe om te organiseer. 

@Noneking - Sal by jou moet leer hoe om 'n ordentelike RR te skryf.

Julle almal is gesaluut 

:salut: :salut:

Dankie @JMOL  !
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #968 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:19 pm »
thanks for sharing one of the finest ride reports- top 5  at least . Very well organised set up and i can go just for the food and the riding would be a bonus. Really enjoyed the brotherly bantering :thumleft: really have a symiliar knopgat relationship with mine as well. Thanks for stopping and taking time for pics and videos - just makes it so much more enjoyable.
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Noneking

« Reply #969 on: April 10, 2020, 01:59:26 pm »
thanks for sharing one of the finest ride reports- top 5  at least . Very well organised set up and i can go just for the food and the riding would be a bonus. Really enjoyed the brotherly bantering :thumleft: really have a symiliar knopgat relationship with mine as well. Thanks for stopping and taking time for pics and videos - just makes it so much more enjoyable.
Thanks for taking the time to read it Sean!

Was great to share the experience with my brother! Hardy and his team run a flawless setup, well worth it!
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline P.K.

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #970 on: April 17, 2020, 12:09:00 pm »
Browzing on the forum (as one does during lockdown) I came across this fantastic report again.

Excellent trip and even better ride report.

This evening I have reserved a bit of time to sit down with my customary glass of red....to read and savour the experience all over again.

Thanks for the memories Canzius.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #971 on: April 19, 2020, 06:53:41 pm »
Browzing on the forum (as one does during lockdown) I came across this fantastic report again.

Excellent trip and even better ride report.

This evening I have reserved a bit of time to sit down with my customary glass of red....to read and savour the experience all over again.

Thanks for the memories Canzius.

Pleasure Pete!

Was a life changing trip! I read through it every now and then to relive the experience!
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #972 on: May 02, 2020, 11:46:27 am »
Really great trip with lots of good photography.

I need to put my opinion in here regarding the bikes.

I have done van Zyl's on an XT500, XT600E, 690 and 701.

The 500 and 600 both suffer from inadequate ground clearance, especially when loaded for a non-supported trip.

Other factors play a huge role on the bikes, and on the video Noneking posted of PK going up "heartbreak"?, it is very clear that his bike was hopelessly overgeared for this terrain.

This is so important, where guys gear the bike for good open-road cruising, then suffer in the technical areas, and cause major stress on mechanical parts.

Peter Boardman was on a 650DR with us over van Zyl's a few years back, and if your gearing is right, you keep a fair pace with the motor not wanting to stall.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #973 on: May 02, 2020, 07:04:10 pm »

The 500 and 600 both suffer from inadequate ground clearance, especially when loaded for a non-supported trip.

Other factors play a huge role on the bikes, and on the video Noneking posted of PK going up "heartbreak"?, it is very clear that his bike was hopelessly overgeared for this terrain.

This is so important, where guys gear the bike for good open-road cruising, then suffer in the technical areas, and cause major stress on mechanical parts.

Peter Boardman was on a 650DR with us over van Zyl's a few years back, and if your gearing is right, you keep a fair pace with the motor not wanting to stall.
Yes, gearing can play a huge role on that type of terrain. Iím looking at changing gearing on my 790 as well, for the same reasons you mention here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Online Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #974 on: May 02, 2020, 07:42:37 pm »

Very true - It makes a huge difference on the XR's if you sprocket up from 45 to 48 and even 49.
The other big mistake that I noticed is the fact that most people opt to try and ride around the rocks on the way up.
This culminates into all sorts of mistakes (target fixation downwards, too much throttle play, too little speed or momentum).
Picking and sticking to your line, allowing the suspension to do it's work, while keeping good constant momentum usually gets the job done.
Very good observation 2SD

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #975 on: May 02, 2020, 10:01:40 pm »

Very true - It makes a huge difference on the XR's if you sprocket up from 45 to 48 and even 49.
The other big mistake that I noticed is the fact that most people opt to try and ride around the rocks on the way up.
This culminates into all sorts of mistakes (target fixation downwards, too much throttle play, too little speed or momentum).
Picking and sticking to your line, allowing the suspension to do it's work, while keeping good constant momentum usually gets the job done.

Thanks Hardy!  I agree on the picking/sticking to a line, direction changes on loose rock is never a great idea, if it can be helped.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #976 on: May 03, 2020, 06:04:07 am »

Tried that.....nearly killed Oom Barry  :peepwall:

2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Online Hardy de Kock

• Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • De Rust Outdoor
« Reply #977 on: May 03, 2020, 06:45:52 am »
He was not suppose to stand there :imaposer:

Offline P.K.

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #978 on: May 03, 2020, 10:30:34 am »

You fail to mention substandard riding ability on my part....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:35:14 am by P.K. »

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #979 on: May 03, 2020, 12:38:48 pm »

You fail to mention substandard riding ability on my part....

I promise you, I have only ever see one guy do van Zyl's pass more than once without hiccups of any kind, and that's Gideon Joubert. The rest of us is on a wing and a prayer. :imaposer: